Any opinions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,971 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 05:46 am
The National Lottery in the UK is a bit of a scam, if you ask me. When it was set up about 10 years ago, several companies bid for the operation, including a few which were to give all monies (after operating costs) as prizes and to the Good Causes (charities etc).

The company Camelot which won (and which has sucessfully re-won the contract a few years ago) is a public listed company, with shareholders, so a % of the ticket sales goes as pure profit to them. I thought that this was wrong, that not all the money went as prizes or donations.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 05:47 am
If lotteries were not a scam, there would be more millionaires. Ever been to Vegas?
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 05:58 am
It feels like a scam to those who constantly lose, but those who have won seem to like it.

I worked with a man who won 11 million, he was one of the nicest people I've ever met, it was nice to hear that hapened to him.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:33 am
Lotteries are tough on the poor since they eat up a larger percentage of disposable income but they are legal. The stories of lower class winners who had a whirlwind few years with their winnings and then reverted to bankruptcy are truly sad.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:36 am
They're not a scam in the sense that the government is obligated to pay monies that are won.

However, that having been said, they're a terrible way to spend your extra cash.

I can't recall who said this, but lotteries are a voluntary tax on the unsuspecting. And they are. It's a lot better to invest in stocks if you have excess cash and are looking for a return, the odds are better (assuming you do your homework) and it's not public, so you won't be bothered by every scam artist out there, if you make a profit.
0 Replies

paulaj

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:48 am
Every now and then the lotteries around my area get up to some insane amount like 200 million. That's when I don't buy a ticket, it's to much.

"To whom much is given, much is expected" Not sure I would be as responsible as I should.

I wouldn't mind winning enough so my dad could retire though, he works so he can have health insurance for my mom.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 08:31 am
I agree with the above, because I'd not made it clear in my post that I was talking about the operation being a scam, rather than the concept. "A tax on the stupid" has been used in the media here quite a few times!

I gave up playing the lottery years ago, and prefer to bet on the football (soccer) with my pocket change, as I believe my chances of winning small amounts consistantly are better than winning a large amount occasionally, or never.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 09:56 am
As usual, jespah is correct in the sense that they are not legally a 'scam'. However, the odds are definitely not in the buyer's favour. Caveat emptor. If you want to gamble, blackjack gives you the best odds.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 10:16 am
Quote:
odds of winning the powerball jackpot are 1 in 120,526,770.00
odds of winning $100,000 are 1 in 2,939,677.32
odds of winning $5,000 are 1 in 502,194.88
odds of winning $3.00 are 1 in 70.39

not a good return on your money - no matter how many dollars you spend
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 11:20 am
Grand Duke wrote:
I agree with the above, because I'd not made it clear in my post that I was talking about the operation being a scam, rather than the concept. "A tax on the stupid" has been used in the media here quite a few times!

Do lottery players really not know they are losing money on average?I'd say they know, and I doubt they're playing the lottery as an investment strategy; they're playing it for getting some kind of thrill out of it. Profit doesn't seem to be the point for the players. But I wouldn't know. I've never played it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 11:41 am
Thomas wrote:
Grand Duke wrote:

Do lottery players really not know they are losing money on average?I'd say they know, and I doubt they're playing the lottery as an investment strategy; they're playing it for getting some kind of thrill out of it. Profit doesn't seem to be the point for the players. But I wouldn't know. I've never played it.

I play a single buck for every powerball drawing just for the one in 2mil chance - no buck - no chance :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 05:09 pm
Nothing wrong with that...I find the dollar let's me dream for a little while, and I like that.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 05:42 pm
Amen, amen, pan. I don't play the lottery, but I do stop by the 7-11 on occasion to make an equally stupid purchase: a pack of cigarettes which I have to smoke outside. A couple or few bucks spent on tickets every week is a bad investment, but for many folks the possibility, however improbable, of winning is dream-like; something to look forward to on a Saturday night. What if...my numbers come up.
Cigarettes are bad, but please don't criticise me for buyng them. I think Starbucks coffee is way over-priced but if that is how you want to spend your money, what do I care? And if people want to buy lottery tickets despite the odds, why not?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:58 pm
well said-Wahoowah!
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 07:06 am
Curiously, I may have spotted something unusual about the numbers recently.

Any computer programes that can help.
0 Replies