Is my situation normal considering that I'm upper-middle class?

Kolyo

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 10:50 am
@Miller,
Miller wrote:

Yes, indeed...a really big advantage. Living off your parents, when you should be out in the real world living on your own will mark you as an A-hole loser

Why does living with family to save money, economizing by renting one apartment instead of two, make someone a loser? Do we have a patriotic duty to make the housing market as tight as possible?
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 11:16 am
prpinrni has an interesting background that may affect him or her getting a good job; see the second page of the username posts.
Kolyo

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 11:18 am
@ossobucotemp,
Yikes
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 11:30 am
@Kolyo,
I've read the posts from the beginning of the postings, whatever date that was. Chai remembers too. I was being quiet about it, but I think that belongs in the discussion. It seems like a cognitive disconnect, but may be true.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 11:56 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

Miller wrote:

Yes, indeed...a really big advantage. Living off your parents, when you should be out in the real world living on your own will mark you as an A-hole loser

Why does living with family to save money, economizing by renting one apartment instead of two, make someone a loser? Do we have a patriotic duty to make the housing market as tight as possible?

I quite agree Kolyo.

In fact, I would see the person who criticizes this choice to be more of the A-hole loser.

I got no dog in this fight except to say that regardless of where one lives, as long as all parties are fine with the arrangment, and they are taking some responsibility for contributing their fair share to the household in which they live, it's their business where they live.
Kolyo

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 12:29 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

I got no dog in this fight

And just so everyone knows where I'm coming from, I have no dog in the fight either at the moment. Smile

In the past, I did live with my mother, as a slacker with no job. It was an awful arrangement, bad for everyone involved, and I would never go back to that. What I thought made this guy's case different was his claim that he at least had a job.

I can see how some parents, wanting the best for their kid, in a material sense, would not mind supporting the grown up son (rent free) as long as he was making progress in his field. I can see how other parents, wanting the best for their kid in the sense of character development, would mind.
chai2

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2016 12:56 pm
@Kolyo,
Agreed. Each family is different in how they view it.

I've known a couple of people, one a good friend, who at one point or another, for either a short or long period, moved back into the family home. It worked fine.

Thinking about it, I believe a big part of the success was that no one fell back into the role of dependency or caretaking. There was no "mom or dad will take care of that. The adult son or daughter is not a child. On the other hand, because they aren't a child, there was no policing on the parents part of their comings and goings.

In fact, my good friend, who is my age, now has his 88 year old dad living with him. His mother died some time back. So, it's reversed from son living with parent, to parent living with son.

When he did live at home as an adult, he was past the age of "having a roomate" He had a good job, and financially could have rented or bought. However, it enhanced everyone life style when the 3 of them lived together. As well as contributing to the mortgage etc (he was going to own the home anyway someday) he also paid for a housekeeper to come in once or twice a week. The entire house was spotless, laundry done and put away, fresh linens on all beds, etc.

This afforded everyone more time, a precious commodity, and they also all came home to a clean pleasant home.

0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 02:35:19