The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 07:39 am
Mrs. cav wanted me to read this novel by Mark Haddon because she said reading it herself gave her a window into how I think, which was a bit scary. However, the novel is brilliant, and I loved every word. Here is a link to a review from The Guardian: http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/generalfiction/story/0,6000,944097,00.html Highly recommended.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,568 • Replies: 15
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:02 am
I really liked this book too, cav.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:15 am
I can't say enough about it. It's the best thing I've read since "A Guide to The Perplexed", by Jonathan Levi. I like obscure, puzzling books.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:22 am
I'll have to check out ".... Perplexed". I too like books that don't spell everything out.

Have you read "My Happy Life" by Lydia Millet? Its one of my favorites.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:26 am
I don't know that one, but I can look it up.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 09:31 am
"Everything is Illuminated" is another enigmatic read.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 12:08 pm
Excellent book.

Another novel dealing with autism: The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon. This novel won a Hugo last year.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 02:57 pm
Yep - loved it - read it a few weeks ago.

DO you think that way, cav???????

I work with Asperger's kids - and it was wonderful to read something that expressed the frustration of living in a world full of non Aspies.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 02:58 pm
It's in the portal - anyone else wanna submit a review???
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 03:06 pm
dlowan wrote:
Yep - loved it - read it a few weeks ago.

DO you think that way, cav???????

I work with Asperger's kids - and it was wonderful to read something that expressed the frustration of living in a world full of non Aspies.

Not really, but apparently sometimes I come across that way.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 03:27 pm
I really suck with math, but do have a bit of an obsession with hendecasyllabes. While I did not invent the concept, I invented a form, eleven syllables, eleven lines, free verse. Here is one offering: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35306

So...maybe I DO think like Christopher....the mystery continues. I am going to find "Everything is Illuminated", boomer.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 05:49 pm
I read the book when it first came out, Cav, and I'll agree with you -- it was a vastly entertaining novel.

And a lightning-quick read.

And another thing: I was actually laughing aloud at several parts of the book. And that doesn't happen very often.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 01:06 am
It is a fantastic book !!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 10:03 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I read the book when it first came out, Cav, and I'll agree with you -- it was a vastly entertaining novel.

And a lightning-quick read.

And another thing: I was actually laughing aloud at several parts of the book. And that doesn't happen very often.

I read it in a day, it was that engrossing, and I too laughed out loud at parts, much to the chagrin of Mrs. cav who didn't seem to understand why I found some of it so funny, but that is another story. I think she was too focused on the dog being killed by a pitchfork, and had some gus nightmares...it clouded her interpretation.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:41 pm
I absolutely adored that book. GLad you liked it too cav.
0 Replies

travelbug

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2004 05:50 pm
I loved that book too, shows how different the world can seem through the eyes of someone with Aspergers. It helped me to understand the syndrome a bit more too.
0 Replies