I Voted in the 2016 American election

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 03:33 pm
I live in one of the states that has early voting. Yesterday I performed my civic duty by voting in the 2016 election. In our nation's history there have been many who fought and some died for me to have the right to vote. The best way I can ever thank those who fought and died for my right to vote, is simply by voting. By me casting my vote, I am thanking those who fought and died to give me that right.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 1,980 • Replies: 52

jespah

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 03:44 pm
@Real Music,
Hell yeah!

I think even people who can't decide between candidates need to get in there and vote. After all, there are ballot initiatives and down ticket candidates that need your support, too.

Or write in Mickey Mouse or just go with a blank ballot if that floats your boat. But take time out of your day and do it (I had to explain this to an overly entitled jerk on FB that people died to give others the right to vote. The least we can all do is put down Pokémon Go for a few hours and show up to fill out a ballot).
djjd62

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 04:15 pm
@Real Music,
Vote early

Vote often
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 04:21 pm
I voted by mail already, wouldn't miss it for the world. Voting is important and a great privilege.
Real Music

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 06:24 pm
@jespah,
I saw on the news that over 13 million people have already voted across the country and that number is expected to continue rising rapidly. It has been projected that some of the early voting states will have two thirds of their votes casted prior to election day. If that projection holds true, that means there would only be one third of the voters remaining who will be voting on election day. This is only pertaining to the early voting states. Anyone who lives in an early voting state have no excuse for not voting. You also have days and weeks of opportunities to vote. Compared to the lines on election day, the lines are much shorter and sometimes there is no line at all. I have voted early for the last handful of election cycles.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 09:40 pm
@CalamityJane,
We have also been voting by mail for many years now. Our ballots were sent in last week. We didn't even have to put postage stamps on the envelope, because they're prepaid.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 10:01 pm
I don't live in an early voting state. But with the fill-in ballots, there are almost no lines at all and the process only takes 5 minutes. The worst thing is, the school that is the polling place normally has a bake sale going on where I got to chow down on brownies and tea to reward myself for doing my duty. Now that I'm on a diet, I'll have to pass it by this year. Ouch.

When the old fashioned voting machines were being used, the line during presidential elections was up to 45 minutes.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 10:09 pm
http://krcu.org/post/how-many-people-are-voting-early-2016#stream/0

How Many People Are Voting Early In 2016?

Quote:
By editor • Oct 16, 2016

MICHEL MARTIN, HOST:

It's a little over three weeks until Election Day, but people across the country are already voting. We'd like to know more about how this is working, so we called Michael McDonald associate professor of political science at the University of Florida. He runs the United States Election Project which tracks information about elections and early voting. And he's with us now from Gainesville, Fla. Professor McDonald, thanks so much for being with us.

MICHAEL MCDONALD: Wonderful to be with you.

MARTIN: Can you give us a way to measure how widespread early voting is and how this compares to past election years?

MCDONALD: Well, I start with that last question first. In 2008, roughly 30 percent of the votes were cast prior to the election. In 2012, it was 32 percent. A couple more states have come online. We have about 13 holdout states that don't offer any form of early voting yet, but just looking at the fact that a few more states have come online and popularity of early voting tends to increase, even if a state doesn't change its law, I would project about 34 percent of the votes will be cast prior to Election Day in 2016. That number may change a little bit on the estimate, but I think that's where we start from.

MARTIN: That's about a third. That's pretty big.

MCDONALD: Yes, and in some states, it will be much more than that, and some of the key battleground states like Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, Iowa, Colorado and Nevada - you could see 50 percent, even two-thirds or more of the votes cast prior to Election Day.

MARTIN: You say that the percentage of the electorate that seems to be voting early or seems to be edging up - you said you think it might be around - what? - 34 percent? Is that because early voting is more popular? Anything we can glean from that?

MCDONALD: What's very interesting about this election is that we're seeing uneven activity in voting across the country. So in the South, in places like Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, for example, we can see interest is up over 2012, in terms of early voting activity. But then you look at the Midwest, and it's exactly the opposite. It's the Democrats who have lowered interests, so we can see in Iowa, the early voting numbers among registered Democrats are much lower than they were in 2012. And in Ohio, we can see places like Cuyahoga where Cleveland is and Franklin where Columbus is. We can see much lower levels of early voting activity than in 2012, and if we take a big step back, and we sort of take a look at the big picture, we'll see increased voting across the board, not only early, but also on Election Day in the Southern states. But yet, in the Midwest, we may see early voting levels lower and then overall turnout levels lower as well.

MARTIN: Have there been any events so far that seem to have had an effect on requests for absentee ballots?

MCDONALD: We do have data out of North Carolina and Georgia where we know the absentee ballot requests by gender, and looking at the gender on - by date, I can see that following that first debate, the number of women that were requesting absentee ballots increased significantly and their share of the - all of the early ballots went up about 4 percentage points.

MARTIN: One of the major party candidates has raised questions about the integrity of the voting process overall and has suggested that, you know, the outcome is somehow sort of predetermined. Does the prevalence of early voting - does that influence people's confidence in the outcome at all in your opinion based on your research over time?

MCDONALD: So it would be extremely difficult for a party to manipulate the election outcomes for a presidential election because we run our elections at the local level, so there would have to be some sort of conspiracy that stretches across multiple counties in some of the key battleground states, and you'd have to have in many cases Republican-elected officials because in many places we have partisan-elected officials who run our elections in this country. You'd have to have Republicans who are complicit in this rigging of the election, but, of course, there are instances of fraud that happen.

But by and large, these are things that happen predominantly at the local level and when they do happen, they actually - they happen in the mail balloting. But, again, you have to recall that you have a lot of Republicans who are engaged in this, too. So they would have to be the - another group that's complicit in this rigging.

MARTIN: Michael McDonald is associate professor of political science at the University of Florida. He runs the United States Election Project. We reached him in Gainesville. Professor McDonald, thanks so much for speaking with us.

MCDONALD: You're welcome.

MARTIN: Just a reminder. The final presidential debate is Wednesday night at 9 p.m. Eastern time. There will be live coverage on many NPR stations, and we'll be fact-checking the presidential debate online at npr.org. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 12:10 am
Quote article:
Quote:
And in Ohio, we can see places like Cuyahoga where Cleveland is and Franklin where Columbus is. We can see much lower levels of early voting activity than in 2012,

Not liking the looks of that.
Real Music

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 12:36 am
@Blickers,
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/27/politics/early-voting-update-clinton-trump-election-2016/index.html
Quote:
Washington (CNN) — Democrats have nearly erased the disadvantage they previously faced in Florida and have improved upon 2012's numbers in Nevada as millions of Americans vote early.

Democrats have also improved their position in Colorado and Arizona compared to this point in 2012, according to a CNN analysis of the latest early voting numbers.

Republicans, meanwhile, appear to be in a slightly better position in Iowa and North Carolina -- where the electorate includes more whites at this stage than it did at the same point in 2012.

These findings represent absentee ballots and early votes cast by more than 12.6 million Americans across 37 states where data are available. CNN has partnered with Catalist, a data company that works with progressive candidates and groups, to receive detailed early vote return information this year. Catalist's voter list connects returned ballots with demographic and registration information, such as party registration, gender and age, and allows a closer look at who has already cast a vote.

These are not results -- ballots aren't tallied until Election Day. But the findings provide clues on who is voting, and which party is turning out to vote. And while the numbers track voters' party affiliations, not all Democrats are voting for Clinton, and not all Republicans are supporting Donald Trump.

Here's a look at the early voting data from several battleground states:

Arizona
Registered Republicans are leading in returned ballots by about 11,500 -- a 1.7 percentage-point-edge over Democrats out of 682,000 votes cast so far. But that's well off the 8.5-point advantage the GOP had at this stage of the 2012 race.

Two-thirds of Arizona voters cast their ballots before Election Day in 2012 -- making these early voting numbers crucial to watch for Clinton and Trump.

Colorado
The election is fully underway in Colorado, which conducts its elections almost entirely by mail. So far, 422,677 Coloradans have voted, and things are looking good for Clinton.

Democrats are ahead of Republicans in terms of returning ballots, and their lead is growing. Their advantage doubled this week, from about 10,000 to almost 24,000. And that's not the only bad news for Republicans: At this point four years ago, the GOP actually had a lead of more than 6,000.

Florida
The Republican advantage in Florida may be slipping away as Democrats turn out to vote early.

Now that in-person early voting is underway, the GOP advantage has been slashed by about two-thirds. They were up by about 18,000 votes earlier this week, but now they lead by only about 6,000 -- or 0.3 percentage points. While they are still leading, they are far behind the advantage of 6.8 points -- almost 73,000 votes -- that they had at this point in 2008.

In more possible good news for Clinton, there are signs that Hispanic turnout has swelled in the Sunshine State. So far this year, about 13% of early voters are Hispanic, up from about 8% at this point in 2008.

We don't have comparable data from Florida for 2012, which was a closer race than in 2008.

In each of the two previous presidential races, more than half of Florida's electorate voted early. The early vote share was 56% in 2012, and that number is expected to continue climbing in 2016.

Georgia
Almost 827,000 votes have already been cast in Georgia, a 39% increase from this point in 2012 -- when half the state voted early.

The Peach State doesn't register voters by party, so it's impossible to know whether more Democrats or Republicans have voted.

But if Clinton is going to pull off the upset here, she'll need strong turnout from African Americans -- and there are signs that their share of the vote has dropped a bit from where it was at this point in 2012. Black voters made up 34% of Georgia's early voting population at this stage of the 2012 race, compared to 30% this year.

Iowa
Iowa, where 43% of the vote came early in 2012, continues to be Trump's strongest state in terms of early voting.

Registered Democrats still have an advantage over Republicans, to the tune of about 40,000 votes, or 12.6 percentage points out of nearly 340,000 ballots cast.

But at this point in 2012, Democrats led by more than 55,000 votes, or 14.9 points. They'll need to close that gap if they want to hold onto the state that Barack Obama carried twice.

Overall turnout is down for both Democrats and Republicans this year in Iowa. At this point in 2012, nearly 419,000 ballots had been cast.

Nevada
Democrats have benefited greatly from early voting in Nevada, which began last weekend. They now lead Republicans by almost 23,000 votes, or 11.3 percentage points -- which is slightly ahead of their 2012 edge of 10 points at this stage.

Republicans had small leads earlier this month, when voters were casting absentee ballots.

But in-person turnout has been strong in Democratic-heavy Clark County, which includes Las Vegas.

Nevada is a crucial early voting state. In 2012, 69% of the state's electorate cast their ballots before Election Day.

North Carolina
Democrats have built a large lead ahead of Republicans in North Carolina, and their lead has grown in recent days are voters hit the polls early. Right now, they lead the GOP by about 149,000 votes, or 18.4 percentage points of the state's nearly 812,000 votes cast.

However, for the first time since in-person early voting started last week, Democrats are behind their 2012 pace. At this point four years ago, they led Republicans by 167,401, or 20.5 points, in the early vote. And even with that advantage, it wasn't enough for Obama to win the Tar Heel State against Mitt Romney.

North Carolina reduced its early voting window, but the total ballots cast so far are largely on track with 2012 -- when 61% of the vote was cast early.

If Clinton wants to flip North Carolina blue this year, she'll need strong turnout from African-Americans. At this point in 2012, black voters were 30% of the electorate. They're only about 24% today. Meanwhile, the share of white voters has climbed from 64% at this point in 2012 to 72% now.

Ohio
Almost 680,000 people have already voted in the battleground state of Ohio.

That's about 18% down from the turnout levels in 2012. After the last presidential election, Ohio's Republican-controlled legislature slashed back the number of early voting days. There are some signs that the drop-off has been heavier in Democratic-leaning counties, bad news for Clinton.

CNN's David Heath contributed to this report.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 01:21 am
CNN New Electoral Map & Clinton Election Night Plan

270 Is The Required Number Of Electoral Votes To Win The Election

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 04:18 am
I wonder if some people are voting early because they fear violence.

I'm voting in person because I want to tell anyone threatening to go scratch, but I'm also in Massachusetts, where the balance is skewed rather heavily and we don't allow open carry. But that could be a factor in some places, I imagine.
0 Replies

AC14747

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 06:46 am
As far as I'm concerned this voting early crap should be totally eliminated. It's usually the low-information voter or the lazy voter who avails themself of it. The responsible voter will wait until election day to make a decision to allow for both candidates to complete their candidacy and evaluate any last minute developments. What happens if one of the candidates drop dead a day before November 8th? What if something was found out that truly disqualified the person to be agood president... Then you basically just threw away your vote.
Blickers

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 08:58 am
@AC14747,
Tell that to the person who works three jobs that he has to take time out on a Tuesday to vote. Early voting allows people to vote on a day they might have off. And by spreading the vote out among several days, they bypass the seven hour lines that were somehow put up in Democratic voting districts in some states.

Three cheers for multi-day voting.
Real Music

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 12:36 pm

Elections 101: How Can We Increase Voter Participation?

0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 01:26 pm
@Real Music,
Quote:
over 13 million people have already voted across the country

I just heard 17 million this afternoon on MSNBC
Real Music

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 01:46 pm
@snood,
Quote:

That's a wonderful thing to hear. Americans all across the country are performing their civic duty. I hope we have record breaking numbers across the country.
snood

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 01:58 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:

That's a wonderful thing to hear. Americans all across the country are performing their civic duty. I hope we have record breaking numbers across the country.

Yeah but I gotta admit I also like the fact that heavy early voter turnout is generally a good thing for the Democrats.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 02:06 pm
Yayyyy!
I'm odd, I can walk smart and fast down the street if it is paved well, and I'm a dumb fool if the paving is poor. It happens to be almost silly poor around my group mail box, making me want to leap to get over the different angles, but having recent fear of leaping.. so I only brave it about twice a week and now carry a stick, not for the street walk but for the mail box anomaly. Thus, I haven't known if my absentee ballot request was actually sent (first they send you a form for signature, then there is a short time for the return).

Got it today! And - I have already sussed out the down ballot.
Lash

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 02:23 pm
@djjd62,
Vote Kucinich... Nod to the cowboy, who would agree with me.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I Voted in the 2016 American election
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 10:17:49