Bags Packed, need reading list

Qaf

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 01:26 pm
Like that venerable monk who travelled a hundred miles barefoot writing haiku, I am embarking on a journey involving .orgs wikipedia kindle.com .edu

I will not post another post until I stop feeling like a search engine compiler.

I have a "Grand" idea, a little bit as phoney as the "Grand" used by Holden Caulfield and it is this. I want to come to a non dualistic understanding of the world by studying the Socratic Method, Zeno's Paradoxes, Zen Buddhism, Spinoza, Kant and Heidegger.

I want to be The Non Dualist among you non dualers. So please out of the kindness of your hearts I'm asking you for a book list. Please do not post smut.

your humble co-forum-person Smile ,
Qaf
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 946 • Replies: 15
No top replies

chai2

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 02:03 pm
@Qaf,
Try "The Bridges of Madison County"
Ragman

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 02:08 pm
@chai2,
Rolling Eyes
Read it and thought it was pure drivel as a book, And I'm a photographer, too. However, at 170 pages, it's considered a novella so you can plow right through it. It took Meryl Streep to make it a barely watchable movie!
Foofie

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 03:00 pm
@Qaf,
Try the author Francois Lelord. He wrote a number of books that in a story form seems to offer his wisdom as a psychiatrist. I haven't read all of his books, but I think he at least is more introspective/thoughtful than the average person.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 04:27 pm
I like Joseph Campbell's, "The Inner Reaches of Outer Space." It's a somewhat succinct compilation of his own philosophy.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 04:51 pm
@Qaf,
Steppenwolf and Siddhartha by Herman Hesse.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 05:11 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Rolling Eyes
Read it and thought it was pure drivel as a book, And I'm a photographer, too. However, at 170 pages, it's considered a novella so you can plow right through it. It took Meryl Streep to make it a barely watchable movie!

That was a joke Ragman.
Qaf

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 03:36 am
@Qaf,
I'm currently Downloading the Audiobook by Alan Watts, "The Way of Zen" If anyone has read/heard it, commentary would be most interesting.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 04:25 am
@Qaf,
You could listen to Showaddywaddy and pretend they're singing Zen instead of Then. (I think that's how Ghandi got started.)

Qaf

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 05:30 am
@izzythepush,
Remember All
Ragman

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 09:32 am
@chai2,
Oh! I had hoped so.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 11:15 am
@Qaf,
If only I could, I always forget something when I go shopping.
Qaf

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 01:14 pm
@izzythepush,
I meant re-member all Smile
0 Replies

Qaf

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 01:18 pm
@izzythepush,
that's hilarious, I think in my old age, thinking back to the demolition derby that was zen in my life, I'll remember this song, well till the first chorus, can't handle it after that its too surreal for my system to compute Shocked
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 01:30 pm
@Qaf,
A work colleague used to go on and on about Alan Watts. Being me, it went in one ear and out the other, but she and another fellow were intensely interested in these matters. Books people have named here ring a distant bell re my colleagues conversations. I'll reread this thread and if I remember any other titles, I'll speak up. A couple sit right at the tip of my tongue. That was back in the seventies and my memory is now not as sparkly.
Qaf

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 09:11 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Thanks. I've listened to the Audible Alan WAtt's " The Way of Zen", although you get a fuzzy impression, many topics are too dense to comprehend at one
listening. But it was engaging so I ordered the book. Apparently DT Suzuki, is another populariser,

There's are many beautiful quotes in the Way Of Zen,
Quote:
“what happens to my fist when i open my hand”
is one, its a pleasure hearing it for these treasures alone.
0 Replies