if one seat is remaining for admission.why we will give it to you?

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 07:13 am
Hi , I am very confused with the above topic of essay.how we have to response?are We have to describe our potentials??which kind of potential?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 548 • Replies: 15

jespah

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 08:09 am
@angela khan,
Your potential as a student and then as a graduate.

BTW, if you can't understand the admissions question, it might tell you something about how things will be at the college. Not that the two are 100% related (they're not), but if this is so hard to understand, then you might want to reconsider where you're applying.

Note: if you are an ESL student, and I imagine you are, see if you can apply in your native language or at least get that as a consideration. Be prepared to spend part of your tuition money on learning English, even if you have already been to school for it.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 08:15 am
@jespah,
An interesting side note, I got scolded for using the term ESL on A2K not too long ago. Good to see others still use it as well.
roger

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 02:08 pm
@McGentrix,
I've used it from the beginning.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 02:30 pm
@McGentrix,
Huh, that's weird. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying ESL. Shrug. People are weird.
PUNKEY

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 02:41 pm
'if one seat is remaining for admission.why we will give it to you?"

This is asking you to justify why they should admit you as a student. Suppose there was just one opening available, why should it be given to you?

So you must sell yourself to the admission department at the school. Write a paragraph telling them why you deserve to be admitted.
perennialloner

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 03:19 pm
@jespah,
I mean, I don't think it's offensive to say ESL, but it is imprecise because we don't know whether English is her second language. It's more acceptable to use ESOL and ELL because they don't make that assumption about English language learners.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 04:39 pm
@perennialloner,
You can split hairs with the terms "ESOL" and "ELL" as well, though, because native English speakers can be English language learners as well. I'm a native English language speaker and consider myself to be an English language learner as well because I am always learning something about the language that I haven' previously known, or have questions about the language that I look up to learn about. I also speak another language, but ESOL tends to make certain assumptions about people that speak languages other than English that I do not fit.

ESL can be taken to mean English as a second, i.e. "subordinate," language.
perennialloner

Reply Thu 27 Oct, 2016 07:07 pm
@InfraBlue,
I should clarify that I don't think it's wrong to say ESL, just inaccurate sometimes. I still think ELL is the best way of describing non-native learners of English. I'd argue that even though you are still learning about the English language, you've long learned the language. Maybe not mastered it, but certainly learned it.

Quote:
ESL can be taken to mean English as a second, i.e. "subordinate," language.

You can split hairs about this too. What about the Hispanic kids who were born in the US but grew up speaking Spanglish, neither knowing English or Spanish. In those cases, English wouldn't be their second/subordinate language.

It doesn't really matter though! I'm sorry for bringing it up.
0 Replies

angela khan

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 07:50 am
@PUNKEY,
U have given me an outstanding answer.but I am confuse here that singing is one of the potential which I posses.if I will write this so how it is related in getting admission there.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 08:04 am
@perennialloner,
It must be very regional/industry specific. We've been using EFL and now EAL instead of ESL for well over a decade now. I removed almost all my ESL tags here as a result of the change in usage.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 08:05 am
@perennialloner,
I like ELL. If we could put new tags on other people's threads, I'd use that in addition to EAL, EFL.
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Fri 28 Oct, 2016 05:11 pm
@ehBeth,
Must be. They exclusively used ESOL at my high school.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 29 Oct, 2016 06:25 am
@McGentrix,
It depends on how you use the word "ESL".

I have seen it used as an insult. That isn't nice.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 04:34 pm
@maxdancona,
"ESOL" rolls off of the tongue easier and sounds worse. It's close, in that regard, to the area of the body where the sun doesn't shine.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2016 05:50 pm
@maxdancona,
I think is better than politely asking "What is your native language?". That just makes an assumption while telling someone they don't write very well - without having to say what is wrong with what they have written.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » if one seat is remaining for admission.why we will give it to you?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 06:58:46