CHILDREN'S LITERATURE Awards

LarryBS

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 11:47 pm
The 2002 ALA Awards Winners

Announced Jan 27, 2003

The Newbery and Caldecott Medals are considered the highest honors given for children's literature. The Medals are often referred to as the 'Academy Awards' for books written for children. Avi, author of "Crispin: The Cross of Lead," and Eric Rohmann, illustrator and author of "My Friend Rabbit," are the 2003 winners of the John Newbery and Randolph Caldecott medals, the most prestigious awards in children's literature.

Andrew Carnegie Medal: Awarded for excellence in children's video. Paul R. Gagne and Melissa Reilly of Weston Woods Studios, producers of "So You Want to Be President?" based on the Caldecott Medal-winning book by Judith St. George

Caldecott Medal: The Randolph Caldecott Medal is awarded to a U.S. illustrator of the most distinguished picture book for children published in the U.S. in the preceding year. My Friend Rabbit by author and illustrator Eric Rohmann

Coretta Scott King Award: Honoring African-American authors and illustrators of outstanding books for children and young adults:

Author Award: Bronx Masquerade by Nikki Grimes

Award for Illustration: E. B. Lewis for Talkin' About Bessie: The Story of Aviator Elizabeth Coleman

Coretta Scott King/John Steptoe New Author Talent Award: Janet McDonald for her work Chill Wind

Laura Ingalls Wilder Medal: Awarded to an author who has made a lasting and substantial contribution to literature written for children. Eric Carle, best known for his picture books for young children, is the 2003 Laura Ingalls Wilder Award winner. His numerous picture books include: The Very Hungry Caterpillar; Do You Want to Be My Friend?, The Tiny Seed and From Head to Toe.

Margaret A. Edwards Award: A Lifetime Achievement Award given to an author of literature for young adults. Nancy Garden, author of Annie on My Mind

Michael L. Printz Award: Recognizing excellence in literature written for young adults. Postcards from No Man's Land by Aidan Chambers

Mildred L. Batchelder Award: recognizing the most outstanding children's book published in a foreign language in a foreign country, and subsequently translated into English and published in the United States The Thief Lord, originally published in Germany in 2000, the book was written by Cornelia Funke and translated by Oliver Latsch.

Newbery Medal: The John Newbery Medal honors the author of "the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children" Crispin: The Cross of Lead by Avi

Robert F. Sibert Informational Book Award: For non-fiction literature written for children. James Cross Giblin, author of The Life and Death of Adolf Hitler

Literature Awards Newsletter
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,654 • Replies: 4
No top replies

husker

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 12:20 am
Can you post the silver awards?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2003 12:28 am
What are the Silver Awards?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 09:56 am
Something like the honorable mention - I'll check with the MRS. she was disappointed that an author didn't make it.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2003 03:59 pm
After further research, I found the Honor Books, which I guess are the runners-up. I got the information from this wonderful site (if you enjoy watching awards like me). It has every book award A to Z. You can look up specific authors and their biographies, and click on specific awards to get more detail of each.

Literature Book Awards A-Z

except I found the information below directly, on the ALA page for all their book awards:

American Library Association Awards

and all I have to add is for frustrated writers everywhere, to Carl Hiassen - does one man really deserve all this success?

These are the Newbery Honor Books:

The House of the Scorpion
by Nancy Farmer (Atheneum)

Pictures of Hollis Woods
by Patricia Reilly Giff (Random House/Wendy Lamb Books)

Hoot
by Carl Hiassen (Knopf)

A Corner of The Universe
by Anne M. Martin (Scholastic)

Surviving the Applewhites
by Stephanie S. Tolan (HarperCollins)

the Caldecott Honor Books:

The Spider and the Fly, illustrated and written by Tony DiTerlizzi. (Simon & Schuster)

Hondo & Fabian illustrated and written by Peter McCarty. (Henry Holt)

Noah's Ark illustrated and written by Jerry Pinkney. (Sea Star/North-South Books)

the Mildred L. Batchelder Award Honor Book:

David E. Godine, for Henrietta and the Golden Eggs by Hanna Johansen, illustrated by Käthi Bhend, and translated by John Barrett.

the Robert F. Sibert Informational Book Award Honor Books:

Six Days in October: The Stock Market Crash of 1929 by Karen Blumenthal (Atheneum)

Blumenthal's juvenile book debut is a grippingly written account of the chaotic events preceding the 1929 stock market crash. Using numerous primary sources, the text is enhanced with photographs, editorial cartoons and sidebars explaining terms such as stocks and bonds and the Dow Jones Average.

Hole in My Life by Jack Gantos (Farrar, Strauss & Giroux)

Gantos courageously recounts his turbulent youth and young adulthood in this powerful and heart wrenching memoir. He weaves literary quotes and allusions in superb text to echo the impact of the printed word on his life. The arresting book design mirrors his graphic prison experience and compelling vignettes engage the reader.

Action Jackson by Jan Greenberg and Sandra Jordan, illustrated by Robert Andrew Parker (Roaring Brook Press/The Millbrook Press)

Greenberg and Jordan capture Jackson Pollack's spirit and artistic style through succinct narrative and purposeful words in "Action Jackson." Detailed source notes enrich this informational picture book, which superbly portrays a brief period in Pollack's life. Parker's watercolor illustrations splash out of their frames, reflecting the action and movement for which Pollack is renowned.

When Marian Sang by Pam Munoz Ryan, illustrated by Brian Selznick (Scholastic)

A gloriously designed and thoughtfully researched book, "When Marian Sang," encapsulates the life of famed African American contralto Marian Anderson. Ryan's vibrant text melds perfectly with Selznick's sepia toned illustrations to portray Anderson's passion for singing and her perseverance in overcoming the barriers to train and perform because of her race.

also:

the May Hill Arbuthnot Honor Lecture Award - 2003 Arbuthnot Lecture

The presenter of the 2003 May Hill Arbuthnot Honor Lecture will be Maurice Sendak, the renowned author, illustrator, and theatrical designer. Cambridge (Mass.) Public Library and Children's Literature New England will co-host the event.
0 Replies