Global Surname Map

jespah

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 06:03 pm
Check out where your surname is most prevalent around the world!

Note: it's not perfect. According to Motherboard, the Forebears site gets the name Nguyen wrong in Vietnam. Where it should be #1 (it's probably borne by a good 40% of that country's population), Forebears lists it as something like #16.

Still, it's an interesting exercise. RP's surname (not counting alternate spellings) clocks in at 52,135 people worldwide. My maiden name (again, only counting perfect match spellings) is only borne by 349 people. I know 6 of those people personally.

My own last name is the two hyphenated together, and Forebears can't even find it, but that might have to do with the hyphen.

So, how common is your surname? And where do your fellow-named folks (and they might not all be related to you, of course) live? For my maiden name, it clusters around the US and Russia. RP's are mostly in the US and Germany.

Ceili

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 12:16 am
You have me beat. My maiden name is carried by only 316 people, in the UK, Oz, Canada, USA and weirdly, in the UAE.
My married name has 35,948, mostly in the Canada, the US and France but also weirdly some in Turkey.
With both names though, there is a lot of variation on the theme, different spelling etc.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 04:53 am
@Ceili,
None. And that\'s not surprising at all.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 06:53 am
How interesting - Walter - how many people currently alive in your family have your last name?
McGentrix

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 07:21 am
#9 in the USA and 5 in Australia! Lot's of kin running around this world...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 07:22 am
@jespah,
With our family name: two (my wif and I), perhaps three (if father's cousin is still alive). My sister is a "born Hinteler" as is the daughter of father's cousin.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 07:30 am
@jespah,
Using the original spelling (or as close as I can get on a NA keyboard)

Approximately 1,826 people bear this surname

Using a spelling my great-grandmother claimed was correct.

Approximately 26,802 people bear this surname

Using the spelling I go by

Approximately 36,688 people bear this surname

All three of them show up fairly regularly in Brazil.
Interesting.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 07:58 am
Total, 239,192
2,292 most common
US, England, Canada, Australia, Ireland, South Africa, Scotland, Jamaica, Northern Ireland, New Zealand
Derived from Scottish surname
(Both of my parents' families were from County Mayo, Ireland)

That's my maiden and married name: when we married, his parents wouldn't come to the wedding; I was older than my husband and I was no longer catholic. I used his name for a short time, and then switched to making it hyphenated. That got annoying, since doctors offices and businesses still used his surname and ignored mine (this was in the seventies). Additionally, I'm the last of my family with our name, far as I know (I don't know about my father's Canadian relatives). So, I switched back, all this within the first year. The parents got used to me in time. I particularly liked his father, which helped us all to rally, but I stayed with my maiden name. Husband was fine with it, got it.

I haven't looked up his family name yet (I will, because it was my name for a smidge of time, and I still care about him and his brother, though we divorced after 25 years). We're still in touch.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 12:47 pm
My maiden name was hyphenated. That makes 1.043 + 29. 583
First one almost everyone in Denmark, 1 in GB, one on Greenland, one in Sweden and one of all places United Arab Emirates.
The second one most in Sourth Africa and Germany 216 in Denmark and 44 in Sweden.
My married name 1.489
1.259 in USA, 138 in Norway, 58 in Sweden, one in GB and two in South Korea.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 01:03 pm
My wife's maiden name is 938th, with 563,899 people bearing it.
200,000 of them are in China.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 10:26 pm
101 people worldwide have my surname. It is found most frequently in Indonesia!!! Go figure.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 04:41 am
37 other people share my surname.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 06:18 am
A few days ago I saw in Daily Mail you could by your surname find out if you
were a decendent from the Vikings, who settle in UK.
I found that very "interesting" as we as a rule only got surnames as late as 1600 to 1700. Before that nobel families used a surname.
Normal families used the name of the father or the farm you lived on. Later you might have been called according to the work you did. Or it got to be a name fitting how you were or how you looked.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 6 May, 2017 09:10 am
Stupid web site . . . it thinks I live in Canada . . .

. . . oh . . . wait . . .
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Global Surname Map
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:13:59