Can I be forced to go back to my parents if I don't want to?

Ak0044

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 05:24 pm
So I m a 17 year old girl and I come from a Muslim family. My parents caught me dating and beat me up really badly. My face is swollen and I have a black eye. Before this, I got beat up by my dad really badly a couple times when I would text swear words or when I would lie about a grade. My mom often slaps when she gets frustrated and sometimes it s for no good reason. My parents have grounded me and are sending me to Pakistan after I graduate high school. My dad threatened to kill me. I don t feel safe of comfortable at home ad want to call child protective services. If they take me away, they won t send me back to my parents if I don t want to go, right?

Krumple

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 05:57 pm
@Ak0044,
Ak0044 wrote:

So I m a 17 year old girl and I come from a Muslim family. My parents caught me dating and beat me up really badly. My face is swollen and I have a black eye. Before this, I got beat up by my dad really badly a couple times when I would text swear words or when I would lie about a grade. My mom often slaps when she gets frustrated and sometimes it s for no good reason. My parents have grounded me and are sending me to Pakistan after I graduate high school. My dad threatened to kill me. I don t feel safe of comfortable at home ad want to call child protective services. If they take me away, they won t send me back to my parents if I don t want to go, right?

If you can prove that they are a threat to your welbeing they wouldnt send you back.

However; they could face charges by the state for child abuse and you would be placed in foster care services until you are 18 years old.
snood

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 08:12 pm
Not sure about this, but I believe I've heard that a teenager can petition the court to be emancipated from their parents. Are you in school, and if so do you have access to a school counselor or school psychologist? If so, ask them how you can be emancipated.They have to keep anything you tell them confidential (unless, of course you tell them about imminent danger to you or someone else).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 08:21 pm
@Ak0044,
From your post it seems that you are in high school right now.

Talk to one of your teachers/counsellors/advisors as soon as you can.

___

Aside from the assaults by your father , this concerns me.

Quote:
My mom often slaps when she gets frustrated and sometimes it s for no good reason.

There is never a good reason for a parent to physically assault a child. Never.

___

Talk to an adult at your school as soon as you can. If it is not a public school, talk to another unrelated adult you trust as soon as possible - not someone within your family .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Oct, 2016 08:22 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
they could face charges by the state for child abuse

as they should

assault by a parent on a child is never acceptable behaviour
0 Replies

Ak0044

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 03:35 pm
I am going to talk to my school psychologist tomorrow. Thank you guys so much, it means a lot.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 Oct, 2016 05:53 pm
@Ak0044,
I'm so glad there is someone for you to speak with.

Take good care of yourself.
0 Replies

Ak0044

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 05:27 pm
So I talked to my school psychologist. She's reported it to DHS. I have pictures of my swollen face and bruised eye. I have also been hit badly a couple times in the past but only 3-4 times. The other times is not enough to leave a mark. It's just spanking or pinching. Once I had to go to the hospital. When DHS comes, will they take me away for good or will I have to return to my parents? They're nice sometimes and I'm sure they care but I still feel unsafe and I feel like it's threatening my mental health. I've dealt with self harm and depression as well. I'm so scared and I feel bad because I'm going to put my family through hell and they might disown me. What if they just get counseling and then I have to stay with them? They may not physically hit me but I'm going to have to deal with the emotional and verbal stuff. I'm so scared.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 05:51 pm
@Ak0044,
You are almost a legal adult. I am assuming that you are in the US (I don't think you said this for sure). Tell the social worker exactly what you want. At your age (17) they will likely listen to you.. Definitely tell the social worker that you fear being taken back to Pakistan, and that you fear for your life.

I can't say for sure what will happen. I do know of people in similar situations who were moved to shelters.

Hopefully the DHS will give you access to resources including more counseling.
Ak0044

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 06:29 pm
@maxdancona,
Alright. I will do that. Thank you so much!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 25 Oct, 2016 06:41 pm
I agree 100% with max - I think that's excellent advice.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Can I be forced to go back to my parents if I don't want to?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 12:18:44