Getting old. How has it affected your sense of who you are?

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 04:21 pm
@ehBeth,
The word is the bird, the bird.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 05:19 pm
@ossobucotemp,
So, if you are interested, call it something else. It's only a word. If you are not interested, you're not.

I only mentioned it to someone who is saying she worries a lot, about very real things. As a worrier myself...inherited from my father I believe!....I know worry is only helpful if it prompts me to do something about a situation I CAN do something about. If i can't, for me, anxiety about stuff only makes me less happy . For others, anxiety and rumination may be helpful to them.

Clinically, I know that many people find whatyouwannacallit very helpful.

So I mention it from time to time.

As a technique, like all others, it has benefits and drawbacks.

C'est la vie.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 05:42 pm
@dlowan,
I am interested and as you know I've long respected you, always. The word is multiplying and soon there will be proliferations of how to do this in your gym.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 05:44 pm
@dlowan,
I get this, no argument.

good post by you
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 05:53 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Yes. I have read concerns about this re divorcing mindfulness from its Buddhist roots and spreading it around as a popular panacea.

Nonetheless it can be good.

I have no idea how to do anything about our culture seizing on things as fads. But, even given that, it persists in being useful!
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 05:57 pm
@dlowan,
me either
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 06:01 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
The other key component seems to be the other aspect which is awareness of our constant stream of thought and emotion as simply temporary and ephemeral and not being caught up in them.

sort of like being aware of your heartbeat qnd being able to control it when looking through a scope (either at a micro level or through the scope of a rifle).
I find that I can slow my heart down and I match my breathing if its a long difficult shot (or point counts on a cope slide)
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 06:04 pm
divorcing mindfulness
do you have any clue how argot this stuff is?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2016 09:34 pm
@farmerman,
Not really awareness of physical things. Awareness of thoughts and feelings as being separate from your self and transient. Decathecting from them.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:07:55