Receiving E Mail Attachments Are Driving Me Nuts!

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 06:51 pm
I consider myself a knowledgable intermediate level computer user. I VERY RARELY send attachments with my E Mails. I know that they are potentially dangerous, and can pick up viruses along the way.

This evening I received an E Mail from one of my friends, labeled, "You have just got to see this!". It had an attachment. I dutifully saved the message to disc, and virus scanned the message. O.K. When I went to open it, I found that there was yet ANOTHER attachment. At this point, I said "the hell with it" (I actually said something else, but that is not for public consumption Laughing ) and blew the message away.

What do you think about E Mail attachments? Do you send them? Are you happy to receive them? Do you think that it is so difficult for people to learn how to copy and paste and thus avoid all the machinations that you have to go through to see something that you probably didn't care about in the first place?

Let me know what you all think. Anyhow, I feel better getting this off my chest! Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 986 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 07:03 pm
An e-mail subject line of the nature of "You've got to see this" dragging an attachment, regardless by whom apparently sent, frequently is a tip off to a possible virus. At least scan the critters before trying to open them, and ANY attachment that's "Hard to Open" should be discarded out of hand. I recently experienced a flurry of virus-laden e-mails from an apparent sender account I know to be invalid. If suspicious, you can always e- mail the apparent sender requesting verification an attachment was intentionally sent. If the freind teases you and replies "Off course, silly!", go ahead and open it. I'm sure you know what to do if the freind's reply is "What e-mail?"
I try to e-mail links. I prefer to receive links. I hate attachments.

timber
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 27 Jan, 2003 07:19 pm
The attachment within an attachment thing is something the sender has no real control over. It's done by their e-mail application without their involvement. They probably don't even realize that it happens.

But.. I rarely send out e-mails with attachments and seldom open any attachments I get unlesss I absolutely know the sender and what they've sent. People I work with send an e-mail with an attachment and then another e-mail telling me what's in the attachment because they know I'll delete it wiothout even looking at it if they don't.
0 Replies