Does the natural moral law contradict some of the sins in the bible?

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 03:48 pm
It is said that the Natural Moral Law is written into our hearts so that we can instinctively know what is right and wrong. So even though I live only for my own pleasure which is considered a selfish sin in the bible, my natural instinct tells me that there is nothing wrong with this.

As long as I am kind towards my family and don't harm other innocent people, then I myself am an innocent person. So even though I am selfish and live for my own pleasure, I am still innocent and that should get me to heaven.

If it were wrong (which would make me no longer innocent), then there would be a natural instinct that would tell me that it is wrong to live for my own pleasure. But this was never the case.

Even if, let's pretend, that I was homosexual which is said to be a sin in the Bible, my natural instinct would still tell me that there is nothing wrong with this act. I am sure many other homosexuals feel the same way as well.

So I find that the Natural Moral Law is a contradiction to some of the acts in the Bible claimed as sins. If these said acts were sins, then we should instinctively know that they are wrong.

I will also apply this to the 10 commandments. One of the 10 commandments is not to create any graven image. So if this were wrong to do, then people in other parts of the world who have never heard the bible and the 10 commandments who create their own graven image, then their natural instinct should tell them that this is the wrong thing to do. But this isn't so either.

Lastly, I am asking this question in the context of Christianity. What does the Christian view have to say about this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 609 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 03:58 pm
@MozartLink,
First of all you dont naturally have this innate sense of right and wrong. You were taught it by your parents, siblings, schooling and culture. You might think its natural its not. We as a society inject you with these ideas and you follow them or reject them at societies judgement of you. We as a group debate moral ideas as a society these moral acts can change as the minds of the people change. Right and wrong have shifted so much over the thousands of years of human society.
MozartLink

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 04:00 pm
@Krumple,
I am asking this question in the context of Christianity. What does the Christian view have to say about this?
Krumple

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 04:06 pm
@MozartLink,
MozartLink wrote:

I am asking this question in the context of Christianity. What does the Christian view have to say about this?

My arguement still stands, even christians have been forced to ease up on their morality because the majority mindset no longer can identify with older moral ideas. Christianity changes as the people change but this doesnt stop believers from attempting to claim morality comes from god and has never changed. They are ignorant of history.
MozartLink

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 04:13 pm
@Krumple,
So the Christians would say that as long as I perceive what I do and how I live my life as good, then that means it is God's way of telling me that it is good?

Therefore, if I have broken one of the 10 commandments and didn't see that as being anything wrong or if I have committed one of the sins mentioned in the bible and didn't view it as wrong, the Christians would now say that it is the right thing for me to do?

I am confused as to what the Christians would say about this. I need an answer since I am agnostic and remain open to the possibility of Christianity.
Krumple

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2016 04:28 pm
@MozartLink,
MozartLink wrote:

So the Christians would say that as long as I perceive what I do and how I live my life as good, then that means it is God's way of telling me that it is good?

Therefore, if I have broken one of the 10 commandments and didn't see that as being anything wrong or if I have committed one of the sins mentioned in the bible and didn't view it as wrong, the Christians would now say that it is the right thing for me to do?

I am confused as to what the Christians would say about this. I need an answer since I am agnostic and remain open to the possibility of Christianity.

Christians are hypocritical. They cherry pick the bible on morality and ignore or make excuses for other things that are said.

An example of this is in leviticus where they quote about a man laying with another man like a woman he should be killed.

It also says a person who wears mixed fabric clothing should also be killed.

However; they will argue that the old testement is over ruled by jesus if you bring up mixed fabric arguement. But they willl stand firm on gays should be put to death. Clearly inconsistent and obviously they cherry pick moral ideas.

The ten commandments are a joke. Some of the commandments are not even unique or ground breaking. Murder, stealing, lying and sexual misconduct had been around for hundreds of years prior to their appearence in the bible source. Buddhism has them and buddhism predates christianity over 500 years.

The bible is a terrible source for morality. It talks about god killing people all the time and justifying murder. There is nothing like that in Buddhist texts.

0 Replies

MozartLink

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 10:11 pm
@MozartLink,
I also live only for myself and my own pleasure. I have no desire to live for my family, the Lord, or anyone else. But I do help my family when they ask me to and I am nice towards them and towards other innocent people.

But for a God to condemn me to hell for living for myself would not be an all-loving God. Instead of a God that loves me and supports my happiness and well-being, this would be a God that demands I live for Him and serve Him.

If God truly loved me, then He would have no problem with things like masturbation, pleasure-seeking, homosexual acts, etc. as long as you are nice and don't harm anyone else. He would not judge those said acts as wrong and condemn you for that.

Now that would be the truly loving God who cares about your happiness and well-being and not the cruel Master who will condemn you for not obeying what He sees fit.

If He was a truly loving God, then He wouldn't care if homosexual acts ruined His image of things since it is not about His images. It would be about His children He cares about. So if He truly cared for them and for their happiness/well-being, He would be perfectly fine with homosexual acts, masturbation, etc.
0 Replies