Is What I Wrote in an Email A Threat?

MrsW

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 09:51 am
My sister and I have an unfortunate history. In 2011 I was granted a PPO against her. I quit talking to her, I avoid her when we're all in the same place; I ignore her comments to my siblings about me. Recently a situation with our father had us in his house at the same time. I did as always, and ignored her. My nieces were also around, but we have a great relationship. That has always angered my sister. She sent me a ranting text message, calling me names (f-ing b), so I texted her "Go to hell," and then blocked her. She then emailed me and it wasn't pretty. In the past, she has stated that she wants to destroy my marriage, and in this email, she hinted at that again. I emailed her and simply told her not to contact me, my husband or my daughter by any means, but she emailed me again. I sent her a second email, saying she apparently didn't understand what I meant when I told her not to contact me, and that, "It will be useful, however, when the time comes." It was not my intent to threaten. I was only thinking PPO again but I didn't communicate that. She is now calling this a threat and has emailed me saying not to threaten her, CCing apparent lawyers she knows. I believe she is simply doing this to seek revenge against me for the PPO I was granted against her.

I don't hate her, I don't feel anything for her. She, on the other hand, hates me with a passion. My question is this: Is she correct in saying that what I wrote in the email about "being useful when the time comes" a true threat?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 724 • Replies: 19

Tiger81

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 09:54 am
Why don't you just block her from emailing you?
MrsW

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 09:56 am
@Tiger81,
I have her blocked on one account, but the other one I use does not allow that. I can only divert it to trash, for example, but even that didn't work.
Tiger81

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 10:02 am
@MrsW,
ugh!

No, I don;t think its a threat
MrsW

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 10:17 am
@Tiger81,
It is a sad situation to be sure. Thanks for your input.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 10:38 am
label that email as spam.

if that doesn't work, you're under no obligation to open an email you know.

stop opening, reading and responding.

the control is yours.
MrsW

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 10:43 am
@chai2,
Thank you for your input. I do keep them, however, as documentation. That served me well in the past when I needed to file for the PPO.

And yes, the control is mine. I simply veered off course temporarily.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 10:44 am
@MrsW,
I don't understand. Why are you responding to her texts, or her email?

Just ignore her.
Blickers

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 10:51 am
Quote:
It will be useful, however, when the time comes.

Out of context, it is not possible to know if this constitutes a threat. It doesn't sound like it just standing there all alone, but context can change things. If you have an attorney for other things, you might just want to run the whole Email by him just to put your mind at ease. I think he'll probably say you have nothing to worry about, but you'll feel on firmer ground.
MrsW

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 12:51 pm
@maxdancona,
I shouldn't have emailed her beyond the first one, I realize that. Stupid, knee-jerk reaction on my part. I don't intend to slip again. I'm much happier when I simply ignore her. She does have bi-polar disorder, however, and refuses to acknowledge and accept it, which doesn't help.

Thanks for your input.
MrsW

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 12:52 pm
@Blickers,
What further information could help clarify?
EDA: And I do not have an attorney at this time.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 12:58 pm
@MrsW,
I would just drop it, and not respond any more.

I highly doubt there is any legal issue here you need to worry about. Just break off any further contact.
MrsW

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 01:11 pm
@maxdancona,
It will be my pleasure to do so.

Thank you for your input.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2016 10:54 pm
@MrsW,
Quote Mrs. W:
Quote:
What further information could help clarify?

The sentence would have to be seen in the context of your whole Email, to be judged if it is a threat or not. "When the time comes" could sound ominous. I doubt that you would want to reveal the whole Email, hence the suggestion of asking an attorney to look it over.
MrsW

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 04:38 am
@Blickers,
This is it in its entirety; it was quite brief:

I asked you not to contact me again. Apparently you didn't understand what that meant. It will be useful, however, when the time comes.
XxSiCxX

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 06:26 am
@MrsW,
Personally I don't read that as "threating" it does not have a under lying current of reprisal or the like. Simple reads as you keep violating my direct request to not be contacted and thus can be useful at a later date.

But that's just my take of the reading of those lines. Such can be subjective and misconstrued all day long.
MrsW

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 12:57 pm
@XxSiCxX,
Thank you for your thoughts on this. I have not spoken directly to her since December, avoid her at all costs, and ignore her if being in the same place isn't avoidable. She cannot stand being ignored by anyone, especially me for some reason. I am much happier with the arrangement, however, and will make every effort to make sure there are no more run-ins.

0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 01:55 pm
@MrsW,
Quote Mrs W's Email:
Quote:
I asked you not to contact me again. Apparently you didn't understand what that meant. It will be useful, however, when the time comes.

"When the time comes" does seem a bit ominous, but unless you made some violent threats in previous communications that "the time" might refer to, it seems impossible to call that Email a threat.
MrsW

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 05:56 pm
@Blickers,
It has taken great restraint, but I have never made a threat to her. She continues to send out group text messages berating me, calling me names, even though I have her blocked. The others on the group text send them to me and I file them with the other texts and the emails. I had not replied to her in a text or an email in almost two years until the one I referenced in my original post.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 06:14 pm
@MrsW,
How long do you want to live in misery?

Ask your friends in the "group" to stop sending them onto you, stop filing them but if they wouldn't mind, keep them, themselves. That it's soul destroying to continue this on an on-going basis, that your Sister is winning as she can't email you but still gets to continue to attempt to upset you, over and over and over and that you need to move on, you need to enjoy your life and thank them for being such great friends in appreciation.

If you ever need those emails, you can call on one within the group that will keep them for you.

Get on with your life and don't allow "her" to continue to belittle you and be there in your face, when this is not what you need nor want.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is What I Wrote in an Email A Threat?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 07:32:23