The use of the word 'constrict' in spoken and written English

iandu76

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 06:35 am
Please help me out in this conversation as follows:
If someone ask me to help him with some money then, I replied 'I am too constricted'. What is that supposed to mean and how correct is the expression (anything wrong with the expression ?) ?.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 579 • Replies: 15
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by iandu76
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 08:23 am
@iandu76,
People often talk about being on a "tight" budget. Perhaps this is what you meant to say.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 09:24 am
Saying "I am constricted" when you mean "I do not have much spare money" is not a usual or readily understood saying for native English speakers.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 09:38 am
@iandu76,
Quote:
'I am too constricted'

You should say "I have a limited amount of cash"...
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 09:56 am
@iandu76,
I can't tell you what it's supposed to mean because it's open to interpretation. If what you mean is you don't have money to spare as other have said, then "I am too constricted" could hint that, but what you're really saying is "I'm in a tight situation/position." Maybe you can't help the person with money because you've got a lot on your mind and you don't want to deal with something else. I can't know for certain b/c "I am too constricted" is vague.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 12:52 pm
@perennialloner,
Good'n Loner
iandu76

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 01:59 pm
Hi there friends.
I really appreciate you for sparing your time to help me. If I have better things to say than 'thank you so much' I would prefer to say to express my feelings but I am much constrained in English language vocabulary which I am looking up to this channel to overcome and I am counting on support from people like you. I urge you to continue because I doubt you can guess how your support goes along way in boosting my confidence and saves me from embarrassment because I English language teacher in an environment where English is not widely spoken therefore speech practice is very limited. Can someone suggests any other channels where I can interact with native English speakers improve my English. Thank you once again.
iandu76

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 02:30 pm
@dalehileman,
Please what do you mean, would you mind expatiating your contribution for I am English learner. Thank you
InfraBlue
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 03:38 pm
If you're looking to put the expressions offered above in a more artful way, you can say, "my liquidity is constricted."
perennialloner

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 03:55 pm
@iandu76,
Have you heard of HelloTalk? It's a language exchange app with some very forthcoming native English speakers. You can both message and set up calls. There's also duolingo. When i used it, I found it really helped with pronunciation and key grammatical rules. Another thing I did was watch American or British movies without subtitles and write down the plots as I watched. I then watched the movies with subtitles to see what I got wrong.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 04:35 pm
@iandu76,
Quote:
Please what do you mean
Sorry Ion, "Good'n" is our "Good one," and means, "Well done!"
0 Replies

iandu76

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 02:40 am
@InfraBlue,
Dear friend/my teacher.
Please accept my special gratitude. Your contribution is specially a good one I will add it to my vocabulary diary. Looking forward to another interaction with you. Thank you.
0 Replies

iandu76

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 02:54 am
@perennialloner,
Hi friend.
I really appreciate your suggestions especially the suggested apps. I have been watching some TV shows teaching English even children type as long as long they will benefit me I try them i.e. peppa pig, word girl, super why, etc I learn a lot from them. I am looking forward to more interactions with you. Thank you
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2016 12:36 am
Quote:
I replied 'I am too constricted'

(anything wrong with the expression ?) ?.

In a medical situation, assuming you're male, it could easily be thought to mean, you have prostate problems.
Miller

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 01:20 pm
@Miller,
Or, if the cause is not the prostate, the guy is constipated and full of gas.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2016 01:40 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
If you're looking to put the expressions offered above in a more artful way, you can say, "my liquidity is constricted."

Of course, you will get eye rolls from some people when you're being wise.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The use of the word 'constrict' in spoken and written English
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 12:35:49