Why Black Lives Still Matter Part 2 Ignore the troll edition!!!

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 04:19 pm
Why Black Lives Still Matter

Ignore the troll!!! Thumb him down!!!

White police officer charged for allegedly lying about being shot by a black man

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/styles/story_large/public/thumbnails/image/2016/09/24/02/screen-shot-2016-09-23-at-8.50.28-pm.png
Jackson Police Department

Authorities in Georgia have issued an arrest warrant for Jackson police Officer Sherry Hall for allegedly lying about being shot by an unidentified black man while on duty.

Officer Hall previously claimed that she approached a black man on September 13, only three months into her new job,​ when things quickly went south. As she questioned the man, things became hostile and he pulled out a gun and shot her in the abdomen before successfully fleeing the scene. Authorities said that if it weren’t for her bulletproof vest, she would have been critically injured.

On Friday, the Georgia Bureau of Investigations ended their 10-day probe into the shooting and announced that they believe Officer Hall has been lying about the incident. They stopped short of suggesting that she shot herself.

“The investigation has revealed that there is no, and never was, a suspect at large in Jackson, Georgia,” GBI Special Agent in Charge Joe Wooten said at a press conference.

She’s been charged with four felonies including giving false statements, concealing facts, evidence tampering and more.

Read more: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/white-police-officer-charged-for-allegedly-lying-about-being-shot-by-a-black-man-a7327171.html

Blickers

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 07:34 pm
I can see making stuff up after you've shot somebody in order to avoid punishment. Not advocating it, just saying I can understand why somebody would do that. But what does the police woman get out of fabricating an incident that never happened? She wasn't under investigation.

Does that police department have some union contract that says you can retire at half pay if you've been shot in the line of duty, or something?
maxdancona

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2016 07:47 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
It makes absolutely no sense to put "Ignore the Troll" in the title of a thread.

I don't know who you are referring to as "the Troll" in this case. It may not be me this time. I don't think that shutting out people (even people you think as trolls) from expressing their opinion on a public forum. And, I don't know why people are so keen to shut out certain opinions anyway... if you want to only talk to people who agree with you you should be on Facebook.

But that isn't what is nonsensical about this thread. The fact that you created a new thread with the purpose of "Ignoring the Troll" is the opposite of ignoring the troll. The troll has inspired you to create a new thread. And, it really doesn't make any sense considering that you could have just ignored the thread in the old thread.

Sometimes these things make me laugh.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 06:03 am
GiuJohn.

I always support having a wide number of opinions here. You certainly help with that (since the Able2know main clique leans to the left). I am a leftist... I just don't like the groupthink that happens on the left as well as the right. I oppose what I see as bullshit from either side.

But, I wish that you could argue the point without the personal attacks. It would make your positions stronger and mean that you could have debates and discussions rather than shouting matches. When you get into personal attacks and ad hominems, the in-crowd always wins. If you make your points and back them up logically then the in-crowd has no advantage.

Do you think you can do this GiuJohn?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 07:15 am
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

I can see making stuff up after you've shot somebody in order to avoid punishment. Not advocating it, just saying I can understand why somebody would do that. But what does the police woman get out of fabricating an incident that never happened? She wasn't under investigation.

Does that police department have some union contract that says you can retire at half pay if you've been shot in the line of duty, or something?

Maybe she was looking for the notoriety and adulation she might get from a certain mindset of people, if she became known for standing up to one of the bad old black criminal types. Not only standing up to them, but (gasp) being injured by one of them. Instant martyr-like fame.
Blickers

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 10:00 am
@snood,
Quote snood:
Quote:
Maybe she was looking for the notoriety and adulation she might get from a certain mindset of people, if she became known for standing up to one of the bad old black criminal types. Not only standing up to them, but (gasp) being injured by one of them. Instant martyr-like fame.

I was thinking that might be it, but that would be one hell of a sacrifice on her part. Being a cop is a pretty good job, the pay tends to be good and lots of benefits. It's not an easy job to get. By making up a story she had to know she was risking that.

Possibly she was a right winger before she applied for the job. Another possibility is that maybe there is a clique of racists on that police department, she feels kind of vulnerable being a woman on the force, so this was her way of playing up to them. At any rate she's not only out of a job, she's in big legal trouble now.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 10:09 am
Listened to a short piece on the CBC this morning on a slightly different police training issue but this really resonated

Quote:
The experts interviewed by Mr. Dubé's investigators cited a phenomenon which states, "Culture eats training." Translation: without a change in culture, no amount of training will effect positive change.

Quote:
The report by Paul Dubé and his investigators looked at the interaction between police and the mentally ill, and the number of deaths which followed. The highlights of the report were duly noted by the media, but it is not until you dig deeper into its findings that you feel the real sense of shock.

And perhaps the most shocking revelation of all, was not that police were ignoring and not following their training, but that they were — to the letter.

In blunt language, the report states: "Ontario police officers have plenty of training on how to use their guns, but not enough on how to use their mouths."

In other words, how to de-escalate a potentially violent confrontation without shooting.

When they confront somebody holding a pair of scissors, say, their training tells them to pull their guns and yell at the person to drop the scissors. Training focuses almost entirely on weapons use and very little on de-escalation, a tactic which can defuse a situation before it turns violent.

But expanded training in the use of de-escalation techniques is not enough. As the report notes, the task will require a fundamental change in police culture.

Quote:
We entrust our police with extraordinary powers; the power to arrest, to interrogate and charge and most importantly, the power to use lethal force. No other element in society has that kind of power. With the job comes responsibility.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 10:12 am
@bobsal u1553115,
OK folks, this is exciting. We may actually get to see troll ignoring in action.

They are setting up the groupthink now. Saying things they already know they agree upon. You will get no disagreement from these three members. No trolls here yet.

Notice the careful laying of the bait. Snood's comment on the "mindset of certain people" is good, but Blicker's phrase "clique of racists on the police department" is pure genius.

Now we all we have to do is wait for someone with a different perspective or (gasp) a contrary opinion .... The trap has been set. The self-righteousness is thick...

I think we might see a troll arrive to be ignored any minute now!
snood

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 10:35 am
@Blickers,
She was reportedly wearing chest protection. If someone is wearing a kevlar vest, I can imagine it not being overly difficult to shoot oneself at an angle to minimize risk.
Blickers

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 05:54 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote max:
Quote:
They are setting up the groupthink now. Saying things they already know they agree upon. You will get no disagreement from these three members. No trolls here yet.

Notice the careful laying of the bait. Snood's comment on the "mindset of certain people" is good, but Blicker's phrase "clique of racists on the police department" is pure genius.

Now we all we have to do is wait for someone with a different perspective or (gasp) a contrary opinion .... The trap has been set. The self-righteousness is thick...

So you think I contact snood and Bobsal before I make a post, just to victimize you? I might point out I didn't even post in the original thread, at least I don't remember it. You must have watched that TV show that was on where there was an ostensible group of reality show contestants, but actually there was only contestant and all the rest were hired actors all pretending to be contestants and they were trying to deceive him into believing or doing something. A2K as reality show. Is that what you think is going on?
Blickers

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 05:58 pm
@snood,
Quote snood:
Quote:
She was reportedly wearing chest protection. If someone is wearing a kevlar vest, I can imagine it not being overly difficult to shoot oneself at an angle to minimize risk.

I don't mean so much the physical risk as the risk of being discovered. It's hard to pull something off this days, what with texts and records of you said on the internet and various things, without an investigation uncovering it if they look hard enough. And police issues like this will definitely get investigated.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 06:27 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Quote max:
Quote:

So you think I contact snood and Bobsal before I make a post, just to victimize you? I might point out I didn't even post in the original thread, at least I don't remember it. You must have watched that TV show that was on where there was an ostensible group of reality show contestants, but actually there was only contestant and all the rest were hired actors all pretending to be contestants and they were trying to deceive him into believing or doing something. A2K as reality show. Is that what you think is going on?

That's good, Blickers... Throw him off the trail. He'll never suspect the conspiracy is sooo much deeper than just the three of us. Mwwwahahahahahaa!!!!
maxdancona

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 07:38 pm
@snood,
Well, folks... this is an interesting development.

Apparently up to this point no troll has come by to take the bait and challenge their group think. Although the ability of the in-crowd to actually ignore a troll is being called into question by their inability to ignore me (but I digress).

But what is happening without the anticipated troll is fascinating.

These upstanding members of the in-crowd have been unable to say anything interesting on the topic that isn't already in the summary on the front page of CNN. It seems that without the trolls, all they can come up with is tepid platitudes. Could it be that maybe without any diversity of thought or dissenting opinions that all you get is boring restatement of the obvious?

This is truly engrossing. As this story progresses there are now three burning questions...

Will a Troll actually take the bait and inject ideas that don't fit the narrative?

Will our intrepid clique members actually be able to ignore the Troll when he or she does show up.

As they all agree, will they be able to have any interesting conversation amongst themselves on the topic (other than complaining about trolls) before the troll arrives?

Please stay tuned to see how this "Ignore the troll edition" plays out. I am now questioning whether the ignoring of trolls is actually something they will be able to pull off. All bets are off now... truly anything can happen.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 08:07 pm
@snood,
I've no view on this except that she might have had a plan to get away from what she signed up for. Or, Not.

Woman off base.
snood

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 08:12 pm
Max, you may be right in all your surmisings about the dark and myriad motivations of your fellow posters. Then again, you may just be off your nut.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 08:21 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote osso:
Quote:
I've no view on this except that she might have had a plan to get away from what she signed up for. Or, Not.

You mean like she might have been trying to get fired on purpose? Why not just quit?
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 09:07 pm
@Blickers,
No, but somehow making money from it and escaping being an officer.

I'm out of left field here, no idea what she was about, except odd. Don't take me seriously on this one. I'll tell when I'm serious. Or usually y'all can tell when I'm serious. This one is wacky.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 09:24 pm
@snood,
Nah, you all wait to talk with me..

wait while I stare at my chocolate bar to see if it sparkles..

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2016 09:54 pm
@ossobucotemp,
kidding, kidding, but I don't mind having people I sometimes or often agree with and vice versa
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2016 11:07 am
Apparently she used a gun issued to her by the police department to shoot herself with. The shell casings matched that gun. So she's either stupid or just acted on some kind of impulse. The video with the article also said that although the arrest warrant has been filed, she has checked herself voluntarily into a "private facility"-while there are private jails, I don't think one checks themselves into one, so I assume that it's a mental health facility. Apparently she has to be discharged from there before she can be arrested.

Beginning to sound like the Susan Smith case, who drowned her two children in a lake because her boyfriend didn't want to marry someone with two kids.

GBI: Jackson police officer terminated after lying about being shot
Posted: Sep 23, 2016 1:54 PM EST
Updated: Sep 25, 2016 1:45 PM EST
By Karyn Greer

A Jackson Police Department officer who allegedly lied about being shot by an unidentified suspect she described as a black male has been terminated from her position.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation issued warrants for the arrest of Sherry Hall, who was fired on Friday. Hall is accused of issuing false statements and writings and concealment of facts, tampering with evidence, interfering with government property and violation of oath.

Hall reportedly then fired two shots into the wood line near Camellia Court using a gun issued to her by the Jackson Police Department.

Warrants issued by a GBI investigator allege Hall used a second firearm, also issued to her by the police department, to plant a shell casing she said came from a gun fired by the suspect. The warrants said GBI didn't initially know about that gun. The warrants say Hall used gun before defacing it. She also reportedly didn't tell authorities that she had been issued the gun.

http://www.cbs46.com/story/33168468/jackson-georgia-police-office-sherry-hall-fabricated-shooting-story
0 Replies