Applying for new credit card...Do they check my funds?

Buffalo

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 07:41 am
I am curious what all the credit card companies check when I apply for a new credit card. I know the credit score is pulled, but do they check my savings or checking accnts to see how much available cash I have in the bank? Does that amount effect how much credit they will give me?
Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,113 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 10:12 am
i could be wrong, but i think they check your credit rating...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 02:50 pm
Specific information about your bank account is not available to anyone besides you--except your bank and the FBI.

The new credit card company would check with one, two or three of the credit bureaus to find out how many credit cards and charge accounts you have and whether you pay on time.

An at-random daily bank balance would be worthless to them--unless you are overdrawn. You could have $5000 on Monday morning and by Monday, closing time, after a stack of checks had cleared your balance might be only $50.

Your credit rating is based on what you do--or might do--with your cash, not how much cash you have.

Donald Trump can probably borrow more money than you can, but right this moment, your credit rating is probably better.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 03:12 pm
You should contact one (or all three) of the three credit reporting agencies and have them provide you with your own credit report (FREE). Then you can see what the credit card companies are reading about you and you can also see what credit card companies, or others (like your landlord) have requested your report and are privy to your information. Any bank loans that you have will show up, but not the balance in your bank account.

Experian

TransUnion

Equifax
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 03:17 pm
Like Noddy said, and to answer simply, NO. They do not check your bank accounts.

Neither, to my knowledge to they ever verify income(so you may be able to give yourself a raise on the application if you wanted).
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2004 01:00 pm
I have known of the credit bureaus verifying income.
0 Replies

tigerifictiger

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2004 10:51 am
Sometimes they are interested in knowing what you own - because they are interested in your ability to pay back in the event of a financial setback (e.g. job loss, sickness etc.) This would be indicated on the initial application - questions about your assets.

Usually however they are just interested in knowing your income flow - and monthly obligations, esp. your housing payment - because will give them the clearest idea of what you have to work with in making your payments each month.

All three reporting agencies give the option of providing you with your so-called "credit score". Factors explaining what goes into this is at the end of each report.

The best advice is to not carry a balance and pay off your card each month - you'll save tons in interest and your credit will be top notch.
0 Replies