Grouper tortellini with prawns in a creamy pistachio sauce.

Wed 21 Sep, 2016 02:13 pm
I had this meal when I was in Malta at a fish restaurant in Valletta and I really want to recreate it. The grouper stuffed tortellini shouldn't be a problem but the prawn and pistachio sauce is a mystery; it was quite salty, possibly fish stock in there (but that may have been the prawns giving it that flavour), cream based and a yellow spice that was most likely turmeric but could have come from saffron, and obviously small pieces of pistachio floating in the sauce. Has anyone heard of anything like this and have a recipe? Thanks a lot!

jespah

Wed 21 Sep, 2016 02:52 pm
@InDireNeed,
Is this close? You'll probably do well not searching for grouper in the recipe as that is probably local and may vary if some other catch is fresher. But the remainder may be more of a constant:
http://www.elizabethminchilliinrome.com/2013/10/pistachio-shrimp-spaghetti/
FOUND SOUL

Wed 21 Sep, 2016 03:22 pm
@InDireNeed,
Prawn stock would be the beginning, it will enhance the flavour of the prawns as well as make it salty.

It's made basically from the shells of the prawns. Fry them gently in olive oil until they are a deep red colour. Add, a small amount of chopped celery/carrot/onion and garlic cloves, salt and pepper and cook for 5 or so minutes until soft, then add a litre of water, bring to the boil and simmer 20 minutes and strain. You'll then have your "stock" for the sauce.

Then cook your prawns in olive oil not for long, add garlic, white wine, reduce the wine then add the prawn stock, some pistachios.

Prior to adding the pistachios, cook them on a flat tray in the oven until crunchy.

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 21 Sep, 2016 03:25 pm
@InDireNeed,
I'm listening, it sounds great. Will play with this (not using grouper, none of those around here). I'm keen on homemade tortellini in the first place.

The trouble with pistachios is that I want to eat them all first..

Meantime, did you like Malta? Valletta?
InfraBlue

Wed 21 Sep, 2016 03:43 pm
@jespah,
http://www.elizabethminchilliinrome.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/IMG_5514.jpg
God, that looks so good.
jespah

Wed 21 Sep, 2016 06:27 pm
@InfraBlue,
Seconded. I want to reach through the Internet and serve myself some.
0 Replies

InDireNeed

Thu 22 Sep, 2016 11:29 am
@ossobucotemp,
Malta was probably the most beautiful country I've ever visited, I highly recommend it. Valletta is a beautiful little city (a town sized city) with excellent food, drink and street music (in the same street we passed a busker with a grand piano followed by a whole string section with their cases open on the floor for change).

The food and wine has to be the highlight of the place which is why I'm so keen to recreate some of the dishes. It's Italian style cooking but with a twist of spices thanks to it's proximity to Africa and it being a major historical trade hub. Go there if you have the chance, you won't regret it!
ossobucotemp

Thu 22 Sep, 2016 11:10 pm
@InDireNeed,
I'll not make it there, age and all that, but I've been to Italy several times and I'm versed in some of their regional takes on food - way not all, though, just a start.

Report back, please and if you want to, on the twists of spices re Africa. I won't be the only one interested.
ossobucotemp

Thu 22 Sep, 2016 11:31 pm
@ossobucotemp,
calling a food friend, who has other food friends..
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Grouper tortellini with prawns in a creamy pistachio sauce.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:19:37