Looking for a word

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 08:03 am
I am looking for the word when a something is repeated enough over time that it become believed by the masses or is considered fact.

For example: George Washington cutting down the cherry tree.

It is not an anachronism.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 632 • Replies: 17

jespah

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 08:17 am
@PUNKEY,
apocrypha
0 Replies

ascribbler

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 08:33 am
@PUNKEY,
legend, apocryphal
Blickers

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 03:19 pm
myth
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 04:16 pm
@PUNKEY,
"Apocrypha" means "writings or statements of questionable authorship or authenticity," and is mostly applied by certain Christian churches and denominations to certain books in the Christian Bible. It's not the word for your definition.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 04:16 pm
@ascribbler,
http://onelook.com/?w=apocrypha&ls=a
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 08:08 pm
shibboleth
0 Replies

saw038

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2016 08:22 pm
@PUNKEY,
I think a lot of the other responses to this question may be more accurate, but I really think it comes down to group-think and social comparison.

For example, on a small scale, someone might hail something as true. This person may be the leader and the group doesn't want to displease them, so they agree.

Then from there, they spread it and look down on other people for not believing the same thing. They may ridicule or make them look a fool, so much so, that they conform.

I think it has nothing to do with truth, but it has everything to do with social interactions.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 01:39 am
@InfraBlue,
Are you saying that the story of Washington cutting down the cherry tree is not apocryphal? It didn't happen, but many people believe it did. I can't think of a better word, and a lot of words change their meaning over time anyway.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 07:00 am
@PUNKEY,
Trumpian?
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 01:17 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Are you saying that the story of Washington cutting down the cherry tree is not apocryphal? It didn't happen, but many people believe it did. I can't think of a better word, and a lot of words change their meaning over time anyway.

The story is apocryphal because it's inauthentic. It's not apocryphal because people believe or believed it.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 02:31 pm
@InfraBlue,
Yes, but people are either going to believe or disbelieve it.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 04:15 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Yes, but people are either going to believe or disbelieve it.

Right, but people's belief or disbelief isn't what makes the story apocryphal. What makes the story apocryphal is its inauthenticity, something established through fact (at least as far as facts can be established), not belief.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 06:50 pm
Apocryphal means very likely not true, but not absolutely not true. So some apocryphal stories are probably true.

How about shibboleth?
Ragman

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 06:56 pm
@Blickers,
Shibboleth would not be an appropriate choice; whereas apocryphal might be a more fitting choice.

The definition of apocryphal:

"a custom, principle, or belief distinguishing a particular class or group of people, especially a long-standing one regarded as outmoded or no longer important."
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 08:10 pm
Well, the definition for apocryphal from dictionary.com is:
Quote:
of doubtful authorship or authenticity.
Ecclesiastical. (initial capital letter) of or relating to the Apocrypha.
of doubtful sanction; uncanonical.

3.false; spurious:
He told an apocryphal story about the sword, but the truth was later revealed.

The definition for shibboleth, again from dictionary.com, is
Quote:
a peculiarity of pronunciation, behavior, mode of dress, etc., that distinguishes a particular class or set of persons.
a slogan; catchword.
a common saying or belief with little current meaning or truth.

I think the third meaning has it for both words.
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 10:55 pm
@PUNKEY,
Inculcation.
0 Replies

saw038

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2016 11:58 pm
@tsarstepan,
That surely is his platform and how he has made it this far in the presidential election!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Looking for a word
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 02:40:59