Feel like I don't fit in/ not liked

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 08:15 pm
Does anyone ever feel like they just don't fit in to any group, I always feel left out or a spare part/tag a long no matter who I'm with, it has to be me if this is happening all the time but I don't know what im doing wrong, just seems like I'm doing everything wrong somehow. Advice please

Blickers

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 09:15 pm
@secondaccount123456,
Maybe you are different. Have you considered the possibility of moving to a place where you have reason to believe there are more people like you?

A lot of successful people have said in interviews that they just had to get out of the town they grew up in, that they blossomed in their new surroundings.
perennialloner

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 09:47 pm
@secondaccount123456,
i think first you have to understand that not everyone is gonna like you, and be okay with that. the only people you should care about are the ones who do like and appreciate you. the others don't matter. you can't change a person, and honestly, what another person thinks about you isn't your business, it's theirs, so pay it no mind. i think part of your problem is the way you may be approaching interactions with others. you seem to have come to a point in your life where you expect to not fit in and to be left out, which means you're probably looking for cues from people that affirm that expectation. this is bad, because not only does it make you hyper-sensitive but it also might make you interpret things that aren't really there. it becomes a vicious cycle, because every time you meet new people you've pretty much already failed.

If you're in college you should consider counseling. It seems like your confidence is down the drain. a counselor will help you figure out why.

To answer your question, tons of people feel the way you do. Even the people you think fit in really well experience these feelings at times.
secondaccount123456

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 05:24 am
@Blickers,
I live in a different place some of the time when I'm at uni and it's exactly the same
0 Replies

secondaccount123456

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 05:33 am
@perennialloner,
Thankyou so much, your answer just seems to get it!
I did eel really self conscious about it at times because the amount of times I'm in a group where there are some people I've never met and one of them will just go up to a bar and order everyone drinks except me or show a picture to them all and just miss me out or pass a joke on and just miss me out, even on a bus full of strangers I'm always the last person to be sat next to, which isn't a bad thing I suppose but I've seen people stand rather than sit next to me; I'm not fat I don't have bad hygiene so I really don't get what's wrong with me
It's every group of people I'm with weather it's childhood friends, uni people, people at work
So yes I do agree that I can get paranoid over it which stops me feeling comfortable which probably makes it even worse but sometimes I feel people only like me when I've had a lot to drink but then I worry about them thinking that I'm incapable of looking after myself when I get really drunk
I went out and constantly got told not to stay out if I didn't want to and we'd just got there so I instantly felt uncomfortable/in the way and felt like if I stayed is ruin their night or if I left I would by looking like I'm just sulking off by myself
perennialloner

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 08:36 am
@secondaccount123456,
You really need to talk to someone about how you're feeling, preferably someone impartial, but at the very least, someone you trust. If your family doesn't believe in mental health issues, seek out a counselor. They exist for a reason. College is stressful, I know. I'm younger than you and most of my friends are as well, but I think all of my close friends have talked about needing or wanting counseling to deal with stuff in their lives at least once. I even know a person who left in the middle of the semester because he couldn't handle the way college was going for him. You're in your fourth year. You're almost done. You don't want that to happen to you. Because you don't have a support system, you need to get one.

Quote:
even on a bus full of strangers I'm always the last person to be sat next to, which isn't a bad thing I suppose but I've seen people stand rather than sit next to me

You're being paranoid. You shouldn't be noticing things like this.

secondaccount123456

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2016 10:13 am
@perennialloner,
Thankyou so much! Sounds like you connected my other posts, really appreciate that. Just been going round in circles with all this for ages and opening this account/post thing is the first time I've ever let anyone know/not masked all of this
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Feel like I don't fit in/ not liked
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 09:23:42