Ex is "collecting" my friends

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 09:51 pm
Near the end of last year, my ex-girlfriend performed what you might call a “soft breakup.” She never said that we’re not a couple. But she stopped sleeping with me.

And she told me not to join her for Thanksgiving dinner -- an annual event at one of her friends’ houses (we had gone each year for a half-dozen years).

She later told me not to join her for Christmas, either. She said that she had other plans with family.

At about the same time, I received an invitation to an upscale dinner party for New Year’s Eve. I’ve known the hosts for more than 20 years. They are wealthy and they are connected to similar people who are leaders in business, the arts, academia, etc. My ex-girlfriend had met the host couple only once before.

My ex insisted on going to this New Year’s Eve party with me. We were still not intimate. And she was keeping me at a bit of a distance. But we went to the party and had a good time. She wasn’t romantic and hanging on me. But we made a decent impression of a couple.

Fast forward to today. My ex-girlfriend had been disappearing and caught in lies or contradictions. And we broke up.

Meanwhile, she (my ex) is now enthusiastically Liking and giving hearts to the Facebook posts of the couple who hosted the New Year’s Eve party last year. It kinda looks like she’s fishing for an invitation to THIS year’s event.

And, if my guess is correct, she will most certainly take her new boyfriend (she had him waiting on the side when we broke up).

I never knew that my ex was such a social climber. She refused to include me in Thanksgiving and Christmas with her friends (last year). But she made sure that I took her to meet my friends. And, as I noted earlier, they are uncommonly wealthy and well connected.

I wanted to telephone the host couple, the wife in particular. And I wanted to say, “Hey, this b**** used me to get into your social circle. She’s no good.”

But two things:

1. I can’t think of any way to say this (the quote above) without sounding like a bitter loser of an old boyfriend.

2. Although I know the host couple for more than 20 years, I see them only once or twice a year. And, until about three years ago, I had not seen them or been in touch with them in eight or so years. Therefore, although we know each other reasonably well, the host couple and I are not BFFs.

At the moment, I can’t think of a way to derail my ex’s social climbing. It certainly is interesting to see her Liking every third post by these people whom she met only two times.

Any advice?

jespah

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 07:01 am
Your ex will undoubtedly screw something up. You need not say a thing.

If she is invited, stand near the popcorn bowl (if there is one; if not, bring your own, gourmet of course) and watch the show.

If she isn't, then all your worry is for nothing.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 07:29 am
Give your hosts some credit. If they get talked into extending an invitation to someone, then that's their prerogative.

Your ex is very aggressive, hopefully they will see that. Your best revenge is to bring a really hot girl to the party (IF you are invited)

BTW - I find BOTH of you social climbers. If you have not worked this friendship with the hosts, then it's your fault they would invite your ex. Right now, YOU are superficially connected to them, anyway.

0 Replies

Tiger81

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 10:07 am
Exactly how did she "make" you take her to the party?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Ex is "collecting" my friends
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 12:12:19