Sturgis

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 01:44 pm
100 years ago today, in the Tennessee town of Erwin, a grievous chain of events began.

The traveling Sparks Circus had come to town and as was often the case the locals showed up. Our tragic tale starts on September 12, 1916...

A group of elephants was going off to the watering hole during the break between the matinée and evening performances. One elephant, known as Big Mary saw a piece of watermelon and began towards it. The man in charge of keeping her on trail whacked her hard with a bullhook. Mary continued towards the food. Her alleged trainer, one Red Eldridge hit her again. Mary turned and took him off her back and threw him on the ground. She then crushed his head under her foot.

The next day she was hauled up at the end of chain. Attempt 1 failed and they tried again, the second time was sadly successful.

She was being an elephant. She was being herself, that is why she killed Eldridge. Elephants should not be kept in captivity or used for other people's amusement.

(Links to follow)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,265 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 01:55 pm
Here is a story which ran in a local paper today. (I occasionally read the tabloid for local news headlines before going to other surveys of news)

www.nydailynews.com/news/national/fed-circus-elephant-lynched-murder-1916-article-1.2149605

And further record of the events...
www.all-creatures.org/articles/ar-thehanging.html
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 02:04 pm
@Sturgis,
Thanks Stur for that account. I've read recently that the practice is on the way out
Sturgis

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 02:09 pm
@dalehileman,
It cannot happen quickly enough. Animal use for amusement never should have been allowed to begin with.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 02:14 pm
@Sturgis,
I can't understand why people still go to Africa to kill wild animals. Do they really get pleasure from killing those animals?
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 02:14 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
never should have been allowed
Stur my feelings too. It even bothers me what they do to with Porky
0 Replies