Is it normal to still be dependent on your parents after graduating from college?

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 05:18 pm
I'm 22 and I'll be graduating from college in a few months. There aren't any jobs in my field that I can get straight out of undergrad that pay enough for me to be self-supporting. I will probably still be living with my parents for about a year or so after I graduate and they will still be supporting me. Is this normal?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 721 • Replies: 17

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 05:30 pm
@prpinrni,
You seem very obsessive, and that may be true.
I've no idea to how to help you. Get a part time job. See a counceller.
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 09:48 pm
Is this normal?[

Why not? If you need more education, then stay in the family home and finish what you need to do for schooling.

Are you uncomfortable there? do you wish for more freedom and independence from them? are you ready to move into an apartment by yourself, but don't have the money?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 09:53 pm
@prpinrni,
You poor thing. No, it is not normal, it is a privilege that you are in this terrible situation.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2016 11:32 pm
@ossobucotemp,
There is a lot of young people depedent on their parents.
It could be a continuing education after college
It could be because there are no jobs where they live like in countries like southern Europe with very high unemploiment
It could be help to buy a house or apartment
it could be to buy a car
The list is long
There is no reason to see a counceller because of that when you are 22.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 03:40 pm
@saab,
In the mid-fifties, I didn't have a college education, and no place to live, so I volunteered into the USAF. That was the best option - even looking back at my life choices now. I did get my college education after my discharge from the air force, and was able to find work more easily. I worked at the USPS as a mail sorter and a trucking company as a night biller, and went to college. I had four job offers before I graduated from college, because I majored in Accounting.
Roberta

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 11:46 pm
@prpinrni,
It's neither normal or abnormal. It is what it is depending on your circumstances. When I graduated from college, I didn't earn enough to support myself. I lived with my parents until I had enough money.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2016 11:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
We cannot compare the mid fifties with to-day. There were plenty of good and decent jobs for people before having an education.
These types of jobs are rare to-day. It seems like you have to have a certificate for everything.
Foofie

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2016 01:13 pm
Assuming normal is just the arithmetical average, few are normal. Everyone is on some imagined "post graduation lifestyle bellcurve." You might be wanting to know if you are in the "median," if there is a lifestyle that the most post graduates fall into. If I were you I'd ruminate on these concerns until you get hungry, then eat something to take your mind off of your ruminations. Bottom line, it's your life; a stranger's opinion is nothing to base one's decisions on. What good was college, if you cannot analyze your next life move?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2016 01:55 pm
@prpinrni,
Unfortunately it is.

I left home at 16 and didn't have a job in my field, but I never returned to the warm womb of my parent's support.

You live on your own if you really want to.

Nothing wrong with you going back home on a very temporary basis so long as you pay your parents for room and board. Believe it or not, they've spent 22 years supporting you and they deserve a break.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2016 02:00 pm
@saab,
In what way? People with the right education can find jobs here in Silicon Valley, and people with the right skills can start at over $125,000/year.

http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Software-Engineer-l-Silicon-Valley,-CA.html
chai2

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2016 02:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well, not every place is Silicon Valley ci.

Regarding the original question, I see no reason why it wouldn't be normal if the parents aren't treating their adult offspring like children, and the adult offspring are contributing to the household.

My best friend, who is my age, around 56 or 57, has lived in the same home with his parents on and off his entire life.

He's always had a good job, but sometimes it just made more sense for all of them to live together.

Notice I didn't say "in his parents house"

In his late 30's/early 40's, his mother was going through her final illness, and it made more sense for him to be there for her.

Another time it saved on significant transportation costs until he found a house he wanted to buy, which took well over a year.

When he first graduated and started working, there was no reason for him to leave. They had a lovely home, I'm thinking they all owned it together. Why not? It didn't make him less of an adult.

Most recently, he decided to drop out of the rat race and moved to San Miguel, Mexico. He packed himself, his 3 dogs and his 93 year old father and off they went.

He's never lived his life any differently when he's living in the same home as his parents, as when he lives somewhere else. They don't live any differently either.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2016 02:26 pm
@chai2,
Our younger brother took care of our mother until she suffered from alzheimer. They put her into a care home in their home town until she passed.
My wife's parents stayed at our place until they passed away. They were mentally sharp until the end.
Trivia: On one of my trips to Africa, I said hello to grandma when I got home. She said, "who are you?" I was so black she didn't recognize me.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2016 02:32 pm
I see I sounded irritated with prpirini, and that's a result of my reading quite a lot of past questions. Being irritated is inappropriate of me, when I would wish he or her could relax a bit about the matter of when people graduate, and so on. I read it as anxiety, but maybe this is all a scholastic interest.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 12:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
I said: before having an education.
You said: people with the right education
There is a great difference in those before and after.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 01:04 am
@saab,
You need to keep those statements in context.
saab

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 01:50 am
@cicerone imposter,
This is what I said
Quote:
We cannot compare the mid fifties with to-day. There were plenty of good and decent jobs for people before having an education.
These types of jobs are rare to-day. It seems like you have to have a certificate for everything.

Then you said:
Quote:
People with the right education can find jobs here in Silicon Valley,

I think there is a big difference between before and after an education.
Also I like to add that Silicon Valley is not the whole world
roger

Reply Sat 17 Sep, 2016 01:54 am
@saab,
Yeah, but they act like it's the whole world, don't they?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is it normal to still be dependent on your parents after graduating from college?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:53:49