Are You Ready? Can You Take It? THE BOB DYLAN THREAD

farmerman

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 09:37 am
@farmerman,
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 12:05 pm
That film of Subterranean Homesick Blues is from a theatrical release called Don't Look Back. Allen Ginsburg can be seen in the background. He was a huge Dylan fan. There are photos of them sitting on Jack Kerouac's grave.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 12:18 pm
This list does not include Grammy Awards, Rock and Roll Hall of fame awards and such. They can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Bob_Dylan

Year Title Results
1963 Tom Paine Award Honors
1970 Princeton University, New Jersey Honorary Doctorate of Music
1982 Songwriters Hall of Fame Inducted
1990 Commandeur des Arts et des Lettres Honors
1997 Kennedy Center Honors[7] Honors
1997 The Dorothy and Lillian Gish Prize Recipient
2000 Polar Music Prize Winner
2002 Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Inducted
2004 St. Andrews University, Scotland[8] Honorary Doctorate of Music
2007 Prince of Asturias Awards Winner
2008 Pulitzer Prize Special Citations and Awards[9] Winner
2009 National Medal of Arts[10] Honors
2012 Presidential Medal of Freedom Recipient
2013 Officier de la Legion d'honneur Recipient
2016 Nobel Prize in Literature Recipient
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 04:51 pm
I'm sure you have heard of today's Nobel prize award for literature. I thought of you right away when i heard the news.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 05:02 pm
@Setanta,
farmerman and I were discussing that this is the one thing spendi and I agreed upon.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2016 07:05 pm
@farmerman,
Thank you for that, a lot.
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 01:59 am
@ossobucotemp,
heres the late-great Chet Atkins doing an instrumental of Dylan

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 02:58 am
Margaret Atwood who has just won the Pen Pinter prize was interviewed on the BBC last night when asked about Bob Dylan she said it was political. There's an election going on and Dylan is a countercultural icon from the 60s, it sends a message.

She didn't actually say whether or not she thought he deserved it.
saab

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 03:21 am
@izzythepush,
There has been a lot of pro and contra in Sweden too.
It could be that Atwood is right, but I have read that the choise this time tried to be unpolitical.
No matter whom the Swedish Academy choises - it will in the eyes of some/several/many be wrong.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 04:35 am
@saab,
I think Atwood is a good writer, but her word isn't gospel. I did sense an element of sour grapes too.
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 04:50 am
@izzythepush,
The Committee has, in rcent yrs, been picking lauretes whove been transformative in literature. So, IMHO Dylan stands up there with the Canadian short story writer(Alice Munro) who "trqnsformed" in my mind anyway, the style of the short story in her body of work. Dylan, like him or not, sure as hell did that. William Golding was transformative (I think he won one back in the 60s?) His body of work was shorter but th use of an allegorical story line was somwthing that , as a kid when I read "...Lord of te Flies", I wanted to be a writer and be able to **** with your mind like that.

I do not know but , I think, some day, JK Rowling has gotta be ,at least nominated too. The British style of spinning Arthurian yarns had been given an update and a needed restart with her body of work . (Did TH White ever win one?)
Im just jammerin here. Its early yet over in the former colonies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 05:21 am
Dylan tried to distance himself from movements, but he will forever be remembered for songs such as The Times They Are a Changing and Blowing in the Wind, and counter culture. His body of work encompasses so much more than that. I love his political work. Many of his biggest hits, such as Lay Lady Lay (which I actually don't like), Serve Somebody, I Want You, Just Like a Woman, are apolitical. Serve Somebody is representative of his "gospel" period. For three years he did religious songs (three for Jesus). I can accept most facets of his career. In his old age, I wish he would form a trio. so that some with smooth voices could make his recordings easier to listen to.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 05:28 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
. (Did TH White ever win one?)

Don't know, but he did get a Disney film, (which probably pays more.)

http://cdn5.thr.com/sites/default/files/2015/07/sword_in_the_stone_still.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 05:33 am
Since, unlike the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, with multiple yearly inductees, there is just one Nobel per year, some deserving writers likely get passed over.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 08:23 am
http://twentytwowords.com/bob-dylan-is-a-welder-and-he-makes-big-iron-gates-out-of-scrap-metal-5-pictures/
Bob Dylan is a welder and he makes big iron gates out of scrap metal
http://cdn.twentytwowords.com/wp-content/uploads/Dylan-and-His-Gates-01-685x458.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 09:09 am
@izzythepush,
he did get a disney film but he may have been too dead to spend the check. he died in the early 60;s
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 09:12 am
@edgarblythe,
i liked him as a traveling willbury( but only when roy orbison was with them for that needed high note balance
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2016 11:35 am
Margaret Atwood is almost worshiped in Canada. She thinks a good deal of herself. I would say that sour grapes is very likely her motivation.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 15 Oct, 2016 01:13 am
@izzythepush,
A Danish comemtator wrote this morning
.....that choosing Dylon is not political, so maybe
THE TIMES THEY ARE A--CHANCHING
at the Nobel Prize Commity
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 17 Oct, 2016 02:33 pm
The Swedish Academy says it has given up trying to reach Bob Dylan, days after it awarded him the Nobel prize in literature.

“Right now we are doing nothing. I have called and sent emails to his closest collaborator and received very friendly replies. For now, that is certainly enough,” the academy’s permanent secretary, Sara Danius, told state radio SR on Monday.

So far the American troubadour has responded with silence since he won the prize on Thursday.

Pop lyrics aren't literature? Tell that to Nobel prize winner Bob Dylan
Read more
He gave a concert in Las Vegas that very night, but made no mention of the accolade.

In what may have been a veiled allusion to his long-term reputation for what some have called perversity, and others an admirably dogged persistence in forging his own path, Dylan’s set ended with a cover of Frank Sinatra’s Why Try to Change Me Now.

So – as a famous Dylan song may have put it to the Nobel committee – how does it feel?

“I am not at all worried,” said Danius. “I think he will show up.”

Every 10 December, Nobel prize winners are invited to Stockholm to receive their awards from King Carl XVI Gustaf and to give a speech during a banquet.

“If he doesn’t want to come, he won’t come. It will be a big party in any case and the honour belongs to him,” said Danius.

Dylan, 75, whose lyrics have influenced generations of fans, is the first songwriter to win the literature prize. Other contenders included Salman Rushdie, Syrian poet Adonis and Kenyan writer Ngugi wa Thiong’o.
0 Replies