Pants are underwear, including panties.

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 12:10 pm
Where I live, pants are trousers from the waist to just above the feet. I was told that, to the British, pants are underwear, including panties. Is my friend pulling my leg?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 215 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 12:22 pm
@tanguatlay,
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/10246/does-pants-more-commonly-mean-trousers-or-underpants

Quote:
In British English, pants means underpants or, informally, nonsense. In American English, pants means trousers; the singular form is used as adjective.

the whole thing is an interesting discussion to read

___

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/pants

Quote:
B1 uk also underpants a piece of underwear covering the area between the waist and the tops of the legs

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 12:28 pm
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
to the British, pants are underwear, including panties.

what other underwear are you including here?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 01:08 pm
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:
Where I live, pants are trousers from the waist to just above the feet. I was told that, to the British, pants are underwear, including panties. Is my friend pulling my leg?

That is an over-simplification (yes I know it appears in Wikpedia). To southern English speakers, it is true that the word 'pants' is used for underwear such as womens' panties, mens' boxer shorts, briefs, etc, but many people from northern England (including my wife) use 'pants' for external trousers. Also in Australia.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 01:44 pm
@ehBeth,
Beth you're amazing and love your profile

Anything you feel you can safely add to it.....

Oh and Con above ditto ditto...
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2016 03:46 pm
Also, in British English (of whatever region), variant trouser types often get calloed 'pants', e.g. golf pants or the "loon pants" popular amoung late 1960s hippies.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2016 10:28 am
Thanks to all of you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Pants are underwear, including panties.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 08:20:27