ESL attention

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 11:43 am
http://able2know.org/topic/342411-1

Typical of the long para of which esl often guilty. At risk of repetition--forgive me--a para signals a shift in thought, helping the reader to organize your essay;, using carriage return, tho some of us also like a short tab

A summary para at beginning or end is also appreciated for benefit of the lazy (me)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 345 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 12:53 pm
When we were able to tag other people's topics, it was very common to see "Wall Of Text" added by frustrated readers. Sadly, such user comments are not now possible. You include "ESL" in yout topic title, but I suspect a good many of these are by barely literate English speakers. What they post may be the longest thing they have ever written.
jespah

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 01:32 pm
@dalehileman,
These people can't really navigate the site well because they are reading it in translation - they won't find your topic.

Furthermore, they aren't going to know WTF you're talking about when you say 'para'. I have learned how to speak Dale so I know you mean paragraph, but they could think paralegal or paraprofessional. In Spanish, para means for. This topic is just one big ball of confusion for them.

Also, they are probably not breaking paragraphs because they are likely to be accessing A2K on their phones, and it's not always easy to see where to put a break in. For a lot of people outside the US, phone Internet is the only Internet they know or have access to.

Sorry, but these kinds of topics don't do any good. I know you mean well.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 01:51 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
barely literate English.... the longest thing...
Yea Con, thanks, that was my very assumption. My hope he isn't insulted

Quote:
...because they are likely to be accessing A2K on their phone
Holy cow, never occurred to me. But yes, and others use some sort of foreign software that doesn't permit para-ing. My apologies if anyone offended
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » ESL attention
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 03:25:11