Superstitious?

Lash

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2016 03:25 pm
I think I'm devoid of superstition. I grudgingly say, "gobblessyoo" when people sneeze because where I live, I think it's a legal requirement.

I don't believe in luck or a religion.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2016 02:51 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I think superstitions are a natural product of the human mind--why that is so, i haven't the foggiest notion. However, there are intelligent, well-educated people who in this electronic age, will voice superstitious ideas about why the computer won't work, or why you can't get in touch with someone by text message, etc. It just seems to be ingrained in the human psyche. Perhaps it is an artifact of some useful human trait, such as pattern thinking carried to an obsessive degree. Humans are curious, and seem to "need" to know, and superstition may fill the gaps. I am not, of course, in the least superstitious. So i'm not about to tell you people the advantages i have in the world as a result of my obsessive habits.

I think it ws recently on an NPR radio Ted Talk where a scientist was explaining that we are hard wired to believe what we are told, since that trait kept us alive as hunter gatherers when a rustle was heard in the grass, and if it was a tiger/lion, we'd be alerted, but the doubter never passed on his/her genes. I believe it goes beyond superstition to explain why it might be quite easy to promulgate bigotry, based on supposed pejorative traits of another group.

0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2016 03:05 pm
There's another angle on superstition that is not benign, if not downright tragic. The black market in elephant tusks that some Asian countries seem to believe a powder made of it brings back one's sexual vigor. Disgusting to have seen the program where dead elephants were piled up by these poachers, and government agents were stymied to address the problem adquately. I think rhinoceros horns also are thought to return seuxal vigor, with the same country's purchasers on the black market. And, progressives promulgate the belief that we can eventually all get along, all having the same brain at birth. Now that might be the biggest superstition. Some cultures have ideas that are just fuckin' backwards!
saab

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 01:03 am
@Foofie,
I can only agree with you.
In our modern world there is also superstion.
Take this pills and you will "get a perfect figur ", look young again etc etc.
There is also an idea if you try to stay young and fit it will protect you from illness and againg.
I am not talking about the natural way of eating and living, but the extreme, become a vegan, run so many miles a day.
Roberta

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 03:56 am
@saab,
saab, Although these ideas are certainly present in our world, I wouldn't categorize them as superstitions.
0 Replies

Angel Jim

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2016 09:22 am
I'm a hindu so I know that superstitions are real.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Superstitious?
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:41:25