I Think I Was Scammed

Roberta

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 09:36 pm
I wanted to post a photo of a bird. I was skimming through Google's bird pics. I found one I liked and clicked on it. All hell broke loose.

One error screen on top of another, and a woman telling me I was in trouble.

I saw Microsoft and a number. I could not escape the error messages. So I called.

They got rid of the error messages, but they also had access to all my files. The guy on the phone (in New Delhi) worked for hours. He told me that my private info was not protected. He called up my social security number, etc. He told me that a special technician could help me for a few hundred dollars. I said I didn't have any money and that he should do the best he could so that I would be able to use the computer. He worked for many more hours. I saw him moving the cursor around on the screen.

A head technician called me and suggested that I get the special help. I told him I don't have any money. He suggested that he phone back on Monday. I said I wasn't gonna have any more money on Monday than I did today.

He left me alone.

Things seem to be working fine.

Once I was able to get back on line, I checked out the phone number I was given. It doesn't seem kosher. Aside from their getting access to my personal info, I didn't pay anything. How worried should I be?

If this is a scam, why would the original guy have put in so many hours to help me?

Worried.

PS: I just checked my bank account. Nothing unusual there. Still worried.

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 09:48 pm
I went through something similar to that a few months ago. Many of the facts are different, but I ended with them restoring my computer after I told them I did not have the money they wanted. So far there have been no dire consequences.
roger

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 09:55 pm
@Roberta,
I had a very similar experience a few weeks ago, but I did not call the number. One of many similar messages showed a Windows icon and implied the number was for Microsoft help. As if MS were providing phone numbers to the general public.

The odd thing was that I lost access to several of my regular web sites as well as many of the click bait sites. I did not lose access to a2k nor my banking and credit card sites. After a few days, I sprung for Norton Security Standard antivirus site. It worked where MS Security Essentials had not. I did not enjoy the Norton set up procedures and all the information the asked for that I couldn't supply, and for the first few days, Norton was very intrusive. As part of their process, they eliminated all cookies and logged me out of every site I participated in. If you go this route, be sure you have your passwords and usernames written out.

Oh, usually when I run into this kind of problem, a little time with Windows System Restore solved the problem. It didn't help with this one.

Good luck. And I still am suspicious of the outfit that kept giving those phone numbers to call. I'm betting they had something to do with the original problem.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 10:48 pm
FYI to all.

I've been told by a programmer in the family that Avast, which is free, is all you need.

I too got some wonky stuff the other day, with messages of dire warnings.

I ran Avast, and since no problems.

That would be incredibly scary to me Roberta that someone could pull up your SS number.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 10:59 pm
In my case there was no mention of my SS number.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2016 11:58 pm
@Roberta,
I've had that happen to me in the past. I recommend that you install an anti-virus. McAfee might be a good anti-virus to install. In addition to installing an anti-virus like McAfee, I suggest that you also install Malwarebytes, which will probably protect you from what happen to you. Malware protection is just as important if not more important than anti-virus. After I installed the Malwarebytes, I haven't experienced any of those types of problems since. I suggest that you install both Malwarebytes and McAfee.
roger

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 12:01 am
@Real Music,
Speaking from no experience at all, I've heard that McAfee is almost impossible to uninstall if you want to try something else. Again, your experience might well be better than my hearsay.

Surprised to see this has affected so many people on a2k.
Roberta

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 12:03 am
I've had an antivirus program (Avast) for a long time. I looked at my list of programs just now. A few additional security programs were added.

Maybe this is a scam, but only if you have money. Otherwise, they fix the steenkin' computer. Quien sabe?

(I am a computer idiot. Totally helpless and hopeless.)
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 12:13 am
@roger,
Quote:
Speaking from no experience at all, I've heard that McAfee is almost impossible to uninstall if you want to try something else. Again, your experience might well be better than my hearsay.

I have been on A2k for over a year. I have also had McAfee and Malwarebyte for at least 2 years. I haven't experienced any problems on A2K. Before, I had installed the Malwarebyte, my computer would get maliciously affected by all sorts of malware attacks. Not anymore. My McAfee is free through my local cable company Cox. They walked me through installing McAfee and they also walk me through uninstalling the Norton antivirus. I really did not like the Norton antivirus, because I had some issues with the Norton antivirus.

I strongly suspect that what you experience was not a virus. I believe it was a malware attack. Some of these internet sites are traps. As soon as you log on to one of these sites, your computer could very easily suffer a malware attack. It's similar to a virus, but it's not the same as a virus.
roger

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 12:27 am
@Real Music,
Now, I'm back to personal experience. I did install the Norton program I mentioned, and the problem ceased to exist. I have no idea if it was virus or malware. Heck, if hanging a black turkey feather above the monitor fixed the problem, I would be promoting black turkey feathers.
Real Music

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 12:33 am
@roger,
If you don't have any further problems, whatever protection you install is probably working fine.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 06:35 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Since such (or similar) never happened to me, I'm feeling discriminated and marginalized now. Wink
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 06:51 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
It's similar to a virus, but it's not the same as a virus.

What's the difference?
TomTomBinks

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 07:23 am
@Roberta,
Roberta, I think those people you talked to were scammers. They gained access to your computer, found nothing to profit from, and then disconnected. They undoubtedly have your personal information and passwords. Maybe they are biding their time and waiting for an opportunity to steal from you. If I was in your situation I would wipe my computer (re-install Windows from a known source) and then go and change ALL of my passwords. You still are at risk of identity theft. I'm not sure, but I think there is a way for you to get notifications if there is any activity with your SSN. If you call the credit agencies you can find out about that. That will at least let you know if a new credit account is being opened in your name. At least call them and tell them your SSN has been compromised, they may suggest something. Good luck and be careful!
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 12:07 pm
@contrex,
https://antivirus.comodo.com/blog/computer-safety/malware-vs-viruses-whats-difference/
Quote:
Understanding the difference between malware and viruses is very important. A virus is just one type of malware, but the term is more widely used by the public. The term malware refers to any malicious software, including a computer virus. For example, between 2000 and 2005, spyware and adware emerged as types of malware that protection systems had to deal with.

Malware is infecting computers and mobile devices at an increasingly greater pace.

What is a Malware?

Malware is software written specifically to harm and infect the host system. Malware includes viruses along with other types of software such as trojan horses, worms, spyware, and adware. Advanced malware such as ransomware are used to commit financial fraud and extort money from computer users.

Common types of malware:
◾Virus: As discussed, Virus is a specific type of malware by itself. It is a contagious piece of code that infects the other software on the host system and spreads itself once it is run. It is mostly known to spread when software is shared between computers. This acts more like a parasite.
◾Adware: Adware is also known as advertising-supported software. It is software which renders advertisements for the purpose of generating revenue for its author. The advertisements are published on the screen presented to the user at the time of installation. Adware is programmed to examine which Internet sites, the user visits frequently and to present and feature related advertisements. Not all adware has malicious intent, but it becomes a problem anyway because it harms computer performance and can be annoying.
◾Spyware: This type of malicious software, spies on you, tracks your internet activities. It helps the hacker in gathering information about the victim’s system, without the consent of the victim. This spyware’s presence is typically hidden from the host and it is very difficult to detect. Some spyware like keyloggers may be installed intentionally in a organization to monitor activities of employees.
◾Worms: This type of malware will replicate itself and destroys information and files saved on the host PC. It works to eat up all the system operating files and data files on a drive.

◾Trojan: Trojans are a type of virus that are designed to make a user think they are a safe program and run them. They may be programmed to steal personal and financial information, and later take over the resources of the host computer’s system files. In large systems it may attempt to make a host system or network resource unavailable to those attempting to reach it. Example: you business network becoming unavailable.

Ransomware: Ransomware is an advanced type of malware that restricts access to the computer system until the user pays a fee. Your screen might show a pop up warning that your have been locked out of your computer and that you can access only after paying the cyber criminal. The cyber criminal demands a ransom to be paid in order for the restriction to be removed. The infamous Cryptolocker is one type of ransomware.

It is very difficult to live without computers or mobile devices and we have come to depend on them for many activities – communication, online purchases and payments, etc.., In order to protect our devices and data against the different types of malware mentioned above, an effective anti-malware solution is required. Though it is commonly believed that free antivirus products are not effective enough, Comodo’s Free Antivirus solution stands apart and provides security as effective as paid products.

0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 12:28 pm
http://lifehacker.com/the-difference-between-antivirus-and-anti-malware-and-1176942277
Quote:
Antivirus is a confusing matter: it's called antivirus, but there are tons of other types of malware out there. So...do those programs also scan for spyware, adware, and other threats? Here's how to make heads or tails of it all, and which tools you can trust to keep your PC clean.

We may be beyond the days where viruses made the evening news, but that doesn't mean that viruses and other malware are gone forever. They're there, more than happy to infect your computer and add it to a botnet or spam everyone in your contact list. On the bright side though, with some common sense, a good understanding of what you’re up against, and the right tools, you can keep your PC safe pretty easily.

De-Mystifying Viruses, Malware, and Other Threats

Let's start with the differences between "viruses" and "malware." Viruses are a specific type of malware (designed to replicate and spread), while malware is a broad term used to describe all sorts of unwanted or malicious code. Malware can include viruses, spyware, adware, nagware, trojans, worms, and more. However, because viruses (and to a lesser extent, trojans and worms) made headlines a few years ago, most security companies focused their marketing on them, which is why they're called "antivirus."

What’s the Difference Between Viruses, Trojans, Worms, and Other Malware?

Lifehacker's tech-savvy readers are the first people on speed-dial when it's time to heal …

Read more

Other tools call themselves "anti-malware," but malware is a broad term that includes viruses—so it isn't clear which threats they cover either. So, we set out to find out which tools cover which threats, and how to keep yourself 100% covered.

How to Tell Which Tools Scan for Which Threats

Many people think their anti-malware tool also protects them from viruses, even when when it doesn't, and vice-versa. We talked to some of the big players in both fields to figure out what their apps will and won't protect you from. Here's what they said:

Avast. Free Antivirus

When we asked the folks at Avast (our favorite antivirus tool) whether their tool scanned for malware besides viruses, they responded with an emphatic yes. When we probed a bit deeper and asked about the different types of malware that Avast protects its users from, Director of Viruslab Operations Jiri Sejtko explained it this way:

The Best Antivirus App for Windows

Windows has more antivirus programs than we can count, and none of them are quite perfect. Right…

Read more

Avast scans for and protects customers from all varieties of malware. Viruses were extremely “popular” in the ‘90s, which is when the term “Antivirus” became common, but today viruses are the minority when it comes to malware. There are, however, a few at-large viruses currently evolving and spreading, these include “Sality” and “Virut”. More common than viruses is malware like Trojans, Worms, Backdoors, Exploits, Adware, and PUP (Potentially Unwanted Programs), which can include communication clients, remote desktops and password revealers, just to name a few.

The focus of online criminals has shifted and therefore malware has changed. Criminals see today’s online society as an opportunity to steal personal data including credit card and banking details, pins and passwords, and information such as home addresses, phone numbers and even the names of family members. Criminals can, for example, write malicious code and distribute it in the form of a trojan. The trojan can collect personal data which can be sold to crime organizations who can then steal money directly from the victims bank account.

Avast’s immense user base consists of more than 184 million people worldwide, each of whom is connected to the Avast cloud, this allows each file execution to be analyzed online. As soon as malware is detected within the user base a close to real time update is sent to all users, providing almost immediate protection against all the newest malware.

Bottom line? Avast protects you from the "classic" threats like viruses, worms, and trojans, but also offers protection against adware, bots, and other exploits.

Avast's response was particularly interesting because they went out of their way to point out that Avast also protects you from a lot of the new security threats that have appeared in recent years, like hacks that hijack social network accounts or steal passwords. Additionally, it gives us some insight into how Avast updates its clients in real time whenever new threats are detected, without forcing users to download massive virus definition packages or database uplifts (one of the things we like about it so much).

McAfee

McAfee's response was significantly more terse than the other companies we spoke to, but it's also the most clear. When we asked them if they protected their users from more than just viruses, they said yes. When we asked what exactly, they said "viruses and malware including Trojans, worms, spyware, rootkits, and keyloggers."

The level of protection that McAfee offers however, depends largely on the specific McAfee product you're running. All of McAfee's paid software packages include antivirus and antimalware protection, from the $35 McAfee AntiVirus Plus to the $63 McAfee Total Protection. As you move to more expensive products, you get other features like protection for your Facebook or Twitter accounts, identity theft protection, cloud-based backup services, and more.

However, it wasn't clear whether McAfee will protect you from some of the more nuanced threats like zero day exploits, toolbars you've installed, or browser vulnerabilities. If you're thinking about a premium product (which we’ll talk about later), your best bet is to read the description of the software suite you want very carefully before buying. Most antivirus companies depend on you being confused and just buying the most expensive package because you think it offers the most protection, when it may just include a bunch of features you don't need.

Norton

Symantec, who makes Norton, was a bit more forthcoming. They explained first that all Norton security tools all scan all forms of malware (including viruses), and that they encourage their users to (correctly) think about malware in broader terms. When we asked them what they specifically protect their users against, they broke it into four categories: Infectious malware, web threats, concealment malware, and mobile malware.

Infectious malware consists of viruses and worms; the types of malware you're probably already familiar with, and the types that almost every security tool will scan for and help you remove. Web threats, on the other hand, are some of the more advanced forms of malware we see on a regular basis today. They include keyloggers, spyware, adware, bots, and even ransomware. Concealment malware includes trojans, backdoors, rootkits, and even fake antivirus software. Mobile malware affects smartphones and tablets.

The Symantec representative we spoke to explained that there are Norton products that protect against all of these threats, and then others that mix and match features based on the level of protection you need. Like we said with McAfee, it's up to you, the consumer, to make sure you're buying a product that offers the level of protection you need without paying for something you don't. On the bright side though, all of the Norton products offer this basic level of protection, from the $40 Norton Antivirus all the way up to the $60 Norton 360. Every product page has a comparison chart on it so you can make sure you're buying the right version for you.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Since some anti-malware utilities are trying to expand into the on-access malware scanning game, we figured we would ask what Malwarebytes, one of our favorite anti-malware tools, will and won't protect its users against. Malware Industry Analyst Adam Kujawa explained that Malwarebytes aims to detect as much malware as possible. However, their focus isn't on those classic threats like viruses and worms:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware hunts down most often zero-day or zero-hour malware, a term our community uses to explain malware that has been newly created and released on the web. Zero-hour malware can be any type of malware out there that traditional antivirus products have a hard time detecting, so it's an additional security measure to protect the user from the kind of malware they are most likely to encounter while surfing the web. Most zero-hour malware is distributed in drive-by exploits or even via hacked accounts such as Facebook, Twitter or Skype. Some of the most commonly detected malware by our products include the Zeus banker Trojan, as well as other Trojan malware with the same purpose, such as Reveton ransomware and other types of ransomware that attempt to extort users into paying ridiculous fee, and an array of fake antivirus software (we call them rogue antivirus) that usually allow additional malware to be installed.

More recently, we have begun detecting what we call "Potentially Unwanted Programs" (PUPs). PUPs usually refer to adware or other types of software that really doesn't do anything but slow down your system and bombard you with advertisements. We decided that if we are protecting our users from the scum of the net that tries to steal their money via extortion or theft, we should also protect them from the scum of the net that tries to do it legitimately, by fooling the users into thinking their products are useful, when in reality they harm the system and cause more problems for the user. However, the default settings on our scanner only flag the software as potentially unwanted but leave it unchecked for removal. While we advise our users to avoid using this kind of software, since it isn't classified as malware, we don't automatically remove it and leave it up to the user to decide whether or not it's valuable for them. We understand that some users are used to having fifteen search bars in their browser window and prefer to keep it that way.

Malware that we don't target is usually older types that might not have been seen for a few years—we leave that protection up to the antivirus software vendors, since their specialty is protecting the user from known and dangerous malware. In doing so, we are allowed to target specifically the new malware that constantly changes and poses the biggest threat to the average user, who faces possible attacks directly from the web rather than from other sources. At the same time, we always have, and always will, advise our users to use our product in addition to an antivirus, to be doubly protected from the old and the new.

Put simply, Malwarebytes aims to protect you against all manner of malware, but common viruses and older threats aren't included. Their goal is to stay on the forefront and protect users from new exploits, trojans, backdoors, adware, and spyware. For everything else, you'll want a traditional on-access security tool.

Our Recommendation: Use One On-Access Antivirus Tool and One On-Demand Anti-Malware Tool

So here's the bottom line: Most of the popular tools out there will scan for all types of malware. However, you should always make sure your tool does as well. Coupled with good browsing and downloading hygiene, a good security tool should keep you pretty well protected.

Stop Paying for Windows Security; Microsoft's Security Tools Are Good Enough

When it comes to keeping your Windows PC secure, all of the scare tactics and overblown virus…

Read more

However, no one tool can catch everything. So, we suggest you install one security tool (preferably Avast, our favorite) that scans for as much as possible, and that has an on-access scanning engine that protects you from threats while you surf the web, install applications, and open files. Then, install another anti-malware tool (like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) that you can occasionally use on demand to make sure nothing got through or has been overlooked. With this combination, you'll protect yourself from as much as possible, and it won't cost you a thing.

Why You Should Consider Using More Than One Antivirus App

Antivirus software is somewhat of a necessity if you're a Windows user, but the software you…

Read more

Note that it's not a good idea to use two security tools that both run all the time in the background on your computer. They'll likely interfere with each other, and possibly even slow down your computer. Use one that runs in the background, and one that runs on-demand, and disable the background one when you run your on-demand one.

When It's Worth Paying For a Premium Security Tool

Premium security products, like Norton and McAfee, are difficult to recommend, even though they offer complete protection in a single (albeit expensive) package. Remember, you're probably looking at $20-$50/yr (in some cases more) in addition to their purchase prices. Even with today's threats, there's surprisingly little that a subscription-based product can offer that free tools don't already provide. The only instance we can think of is if your work (or play) takes you to the seedier parts of the internet, like the dark web, or you share a PC with someone who's browsing and downloading habits are less restrained than yours. If that's the case, you might consider paying for a premium service that scans for everything, all the time, in one app.

Still, you should make the call. If you can get one of those suites and its updates for free from your work or school, then by all means, grab it. (My alma mater used to give out free copies of McAfee, along with free updates for life, and my old job used to give out free antivirus to anyone who worked from home so they could install it on their home computers before connecting via VPN).

In the end, good browsing habits and common sense should be your first line of defense against malware, spyware, and viruses. However, we recommend running a good security suite in the background and an on-demand malware tool to cover everything else. That way you're always protected, and you can scan your system for malware whenever you want to.

Some security experts are saying that 2013 may be the malware's biggest year ever, so just because the evening news doesn't talk about these threats anymore doesn't mean they're not still a problem. Whatever you choose to do, don't assume that your antivirus is protecting you from malware, or vice versa. Read the features of the apps you choose carefully, and make sure you have your bases covered.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 01:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
So did I...
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 02:06 pm
@ossobucotemp,
In my case, catastrophic craziness hit when I tried to email my old boss; I need to call him, but a long long-distance call is out of my budget range. Anyway, some programmed thing that looked professional-ish showed up to provide hope, something to do with Mac or not at all something to do with Mac. I paid a hundred or so dollars, a lot of money for me. Re their investigations, they likely found they can't bleed a turnip. But, I do have some non-turnip friends.

Re the thread, it's helpful to know that if you don't have the money, they (well, some scammers) will still fix it. So, I was an idiot that paid, and my already tough money situation took a beating just because I so value being online. I presume the scammers who fix it for nothing still suck up data.

I change passwords routinely, a matter that is not amusing as I have a lot of them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2016 02:23 pm
The guy said "Are you willing to pay XXX dollars?" I replied, "I don't have XXX dollars." And he put my computer back together and even put on the ad blocker.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2016 12:03 am

A few months ago my dad got tricked into clicking a spam email link, and the resulting website froze up his web browser using javascript and played a looping audio recording claiming to be from Microsoft announcing that they had discovered a virus on his computer and to call such and such a number for help. There was also a popup error message that regenerated every time it was closed.

Thankfully he called me instead of the number they were telling him to call.

I was able to close the browser by using Windows Task Manager to kill the process. It did not appear to me that the web page did anything other than freeze up the browser and play the looping audio recording. Since he did not call the number that they were trying to trick him into calling, I believe he was/is safe.

He already had Norton Internet Security installed when this happened.

I reported the website to both Norton/Symantec and Google/Chrome. At the time I reported it, neither had the website marked as a bad place to go.

Google/Chrome had the website marked as a no-go area a few hours after I reported it. A week later, Norton/Symantec still were not listing the site as a bad place to go. I haven't checked recently to see if they finally blocked it.

1. Forums
  2. » I Think I Was Scammed
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.08 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 11:48:19