Milkmen, and Other Artifacts of a Lost Era

George

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 09:33 am
Region Philbis wrote:
Quote:
I hate it when I turn on the "oldies" station and hear a song that I thought was current.
i like that they're playing disco now.
"its not your father's oldies station" kinda thing...

MY father's oldies station would be playing Peggy Lee.
I'd settle for the occasional Chuck Berry.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:27 pm
hamburger wrote:
we still have our black, wall-mounted dial phone in the kitchen

we still have our black wall mount too, and up until about 1975 we were on a party line, one long ring was the neighbor, two short rings was ours
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:29 pm
wow
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 05:57 pm
I think I realized I had reached middle-age when I turned to the Top Ten List of Pop Albums in the New York Times and didn't recognize the name of any of the bands.

And going to CBGB to see my kids (both have played this famous club) I winced at the volume, wished that I had thought to bring earplugs and suffered through three sets of other bands that played what seemed to be the mentally deranged howlings of the criminally insane set to ((((((LOUD))))))))
music,

or sound that resembled music at various points in the evening.

I not longer share any of these memories in the presence of my young wife and her friends. She had a wonderful time and I (well, cue the rolling eyes .............................)

Joe
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2004 09:50 pm
Phoenix, I have a similar problem. A talk show or movie is hyping the appearance of someone I never heard of.

Joe, Several years ago I made the mistake of going to the local record store (I know they're not "records," but what do you call the the stores?). While I was waiting in line to pay, I was forced to listen to some mind-numbing, ear-piercing noise that was the music of the day. After the particular number was over, the announcer said, "That was garbage." I was surprised at the guy's open and honest assessment. I found out later that garbage was in fact Garbage, the name of the band. Live and loin.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Sep, 2004 05:14 pm
Roberta
Truth comes in the oddest packages.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 05:03:21