How often should you wash your hair?

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 10:38 am
How often should you wash your hair?
http://rare.us/story/how-often-should-you-wash-your-hair/

I say once a day but it is okay to skip a day every once in a while.

What do you all think and why?

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 10:49 am
@TheCobbler,
Two or three times a week works for me. I don't want my hair getting too dry or my scalp to get overworked. My hairdresser says once or twice a week would be better. She thinks three times a week is too often. The only upside to people washing hair more often for her is that people buy a lot of product to try to repair the damage they do by frequent washing.

Years ago I washed my hair twice a day. I've noticed that as I wash my hair less often, I use less shampoo per wash. Not exactly sure why that happens.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 11:45 am
@ehBeth,
Interesting article here - about showering less and related matters like soap and shampoo:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/jun/14/why-we-should-shower-less-hygiene-water-preservation

I used to wash my hair every few days but cut that out at least a dozen years ago. Now I wash it once a week or maybe even every ten days, and my hair is in better shape. I still use some shampoo, being a shameless suds fan. On showers, I take more in the summer (this July was really something), but less often than I used to. I started that after listening to my dermatologist, who recommended only using soap on certain body areas, and just water elsewhere on the body, and showering less often. No complaints from other humans yet..
saab

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 12:01 pm
@ossobucotemp,
The same here.
Wash my hair once a week and it seems healthy to me.
Shower once a week and wash the body otherwise with a damp towel.
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 12:09 pm
@TheCobbler,
i'd think it depends on hair type, if it's super oily, or dry, thick or thin, etc. a person with dry, tightly coiled hair probably shouldn't wash their hair as often as a person with greasy, pin straight hair, as that would dry it out. the person with greasy hair might need to wash more to strip the hair of the excess oil.
i wash, at most, once a week, and never use shampoo, only conditioner
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 12:11 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I have found it really hard to cut back because I really love to be in water. The other week I swam/drifted in the community pool for over three hours - and then showered for at least half an hour. I know that was brutal for my skin but it was wonderful for my soul.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 12:24 pm
@ehBeth,
I know how you feel, I miss swimming a lot.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 12:56 pm
@TheCobbler,
Two: Partly laziness, partly drought
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 01:05 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
showered for at least half an hour
Long shower good idea Beth considering how much pee in public pool

Alliteration unintended
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 02:02 pm
I would swim almost every day, so had to wash that often.

I started doing yoga again, so end up doing one or the other. Now I can cut back to every other.

If I didn't swim at all I'd probably wash it every 2 or 3 days, and with that half the time I would just wash it using conditioner.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 05:04 pm
My hair is very dry. Once a week or even less often is fine for me--except in the summer. My hair gets ooky from sweat.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2016 10:38 am
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
I miss swimming a lot
I understand Oss. For the first 20 years we used our pool all summer nearly every day but somehow now tired of it, swim only with company
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How often should you wash your hair?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 07:25:28