Opinion wanted - Spoiled Lunch???

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 04:53 pm
We are a married couple and had a disagreement over something that happened and would like your help and opinions. We will lay out the scene without alluding to who said what so as not to influence anything.

Almost every Sunday we go to lunch at the same place as a family. This Sunday morning we happened to be arguing over something so were both already in a mood towards each other. I started a shower to get ready to go to lunch. My spouse came into the bathroom and said that they needed to run two errands today and told me which two they were and then immediately left the house.

After I thought about the length of time it would take to go to the two places I guessed it would take over an hour at least. We wouldn't then have time to still do our usual lunch because the kids had a new music lesson in the early afternoon. Also, my spouse left the house close to the time we almost always go to lunch instead of waiting to do errands when we were out for the restaurant which would be more convenient because of where we live in relation to the town. 90% of the time we go to the lunch at the same time - my spouse prefers it that way. Given all this I made the assumption that my spouse had decided we weren't going out to lunch that day (my spouse is usually the one who decides whether we go or not) so after the shower I prepared the kids lunch and had them eat. My spouse returns after only 30 minutes running ONLY ONE of the errands and then is very disappointed I let the kids eat and that I had intentionally ruined family lunch because I was still mad over our previous argument.

The challenge is that my spouse only ran one errand versus the two. Had I know it was the one errand we still could have done lunch. The errand not done was further away so that gave more time.

I argue that since my spouse stated they had two errands to run and then immediately left that it was implied that was exactly what they had left to do. I simply can't see any other conclusion and made the best decision given what I had been told.

My spouse argues that stating to me in the bathroom that they had two errands to do and then immediately leaving does not at all imply that is what they left to do and that my spouse was just simply stating that they had two errands to run some time that day and that I was wrong to assume otherwise and didn't think it through.

We would love to hear opinions. Believe it or not this has turned into quite a disagreement.

jespah

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 05:08 pm
@andimfreefallin,
Do you own phones with texting capability? Then this scenario need not have ever happened.

But since it did - without knowing how old your kids are, it's hard to make an intelligent comment. Four-year-olds probably shouldn't be waiting a long time for lunch. Teenagers will just be hungry in 20 minutes anyway.

Sounds like your spouse ran one errand, realized they were potentially going to run late, and then came back in order to partake of the awesomeness that is family lunch.

So you were right, that two errands would have taken too long, and your spouse figured that out after errand #1.

Should they have texted or called and said, "I'm coming; my meeting with Cthulhu ran over, hold lunch!"?

Sure.

Should you have texted or called and said, "The kids are about to roast the family dog unless they eat right now so I've just ritually slaughtered a goat and am feeding them this very moment!"?

Sure.

So, everybody was wrong, the goat is dead, the dog is safe, and Cthulhu gave good meeting, but your spouse was unable to fit in the massage with Arnold Schwarzenegger and will have to reschedule.

Plus everybody missed the awesomesauce that is family lunch and will - quelle horreur – have to wait until tomorrow or this weekend in order to make it up.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 05:41 pm
My reaction is: are you kidding?
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 06:21 pm
My sister once smacked me in the face with a frying pan.
That pretty much ended the argument we were having.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 07:25 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Do you own phones with texting capability? Then this scenario need not have ever happened.

My only thought on this exactly.

Even with no texting, could have called.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2016 08:05 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

So, everybody was wrong, the goat is dead, the dog is safe, and Cthulhu gave good meeting,

Side question.... Do you happen to have Cthulhu's contact info? Asking for a friend.
nacredambition

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 12:11 am
@andimfreefallin,
Free falling into petty argument?

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2016 05:55 am
@tsarstepan,
Check your summoning spells book, Chapter 5.
oralloy

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2016 11:50 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
Check your summoning spells book, Chapter 5.

There is a guy who got sick of all the fake "Necromonicans" out there and decided to create a fake of his own that was actually true to Lovecraft. It's apparently pretty good as far as being true to Lovecraft is concerned.

He has several volumes. One of the volumes is the text that is purportedly written by Abdul Alhazred. And one of the volumes is a spellbook for summing various horrors, but written from a cultish perspective that makes the horrors sound warm and friendly.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Opinion wanted - Spoiled Lunch???
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 10:22:44