grew spikes and not corn

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 02:52 am
What does "grew spikes and not corn" mean? Does it mean "grew to be a real man and not a sissy"?

Thanks in anticipation.

Context:
Nash was a baseball fan, and he wrote a poem titled "Line-Up for Yesterday", an alphabetical poem listing baseball immortals.[12] Published in Sport magazine in January 1949, the poem pays tribute to the baseball greats and to his own fandom, in alphabetical order. Here is a sampling from his A to Z list:[13]
C is for Cobb, Who grew spikes and not corn, And made all the basemen Wish they weren't born.
D is for Dean, The grammatical Diz, When they asked, Who's the tops? Said correctly, I is.
E is for Evers, His jaw in advance; Never afraid To Tinker with Chance.
F is for Fordham And Frankie and Frisch; I wish he were back With the Giants, I wish.

-From Wikipedia
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 515 • Replies: 11

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 11:46 am
It's a play on words. The name of the player is Cobb. The central cylindrical woody part of the maize ('corn') ear to which the grains are attached is called a 'cob'. It means although his name reminds you of a corn cob, he produced (metaphorically) not (palatable, edible) grains of corn, but (dangerous, sharp) spikes, maybe like a cactus. In game play he was a redoubtable opponent. Note that in sports magazines from 1949 (from any year probably) you should not expect great literature. This sort of thing does not bear much analysis.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 01:08 pm
@oristarA,
Spikes = cleats

baseball shoes had/have cleats aka spikes

http://baseballhall.org/hof/cobb-ty

Quote:
Cobb was known for his aggressive baserunning style

____

the line is talking about his ability to run the bases and thwart the basemen.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 01:09 pm
@contrex,
I guess you're not familiar with the works of Ogden Nash.
contrex

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 01:12 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I guess you're not familiar with the works of Ogden Nash.

Not so. Mad magazine used to have a spoof section sometimes featuring the poems of 'Ogden Knish', which I thought was quite accurate. Whether you like Nash or not, my above remark has been echoed by many critics (that his work is ill-suited to analysis).

ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 01:14 pm
@contrex,
ok then
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 01:22 pm
@oristarA,
Ty Cobb would slide into base feet first with his cleats held high to spike the baseman who'd get in the way.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 01:24 pm
@InfraBlue,
ooh I'd love to find a pic of that
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 01:50 pm
Heh, this is more flying kick than slide, but we get the picture.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/Ty_Cobb%27s_flying_feet_in_1912.jpeg

Tommy Lee Jones broke his ankle trying to slide the way Cobb did while filming Cobb.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 02:14 pm
@InfraBlue,
cool
looks like you can see an actual cleat/spike there
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 06:30 pm
BTW, what does Diz mean in "D is for Dean, The grammatical Diz"?
roger

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2016 08:15 pm
@oristarA,
Dizzy. Grammatical is a bit of sarcasm. He wasn't
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » grew spikes and not corn
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 04:25:37