Is 'one more significance' OK?

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2016 09:33 am
There is one more significance of “changing misfortune into fortune”. Even though Kyo’o Gozen could not have a long life like the daughter of this believer, whether he had a long life or not, no one can doubt that he attained Buddhahood and changed misfortune into fortune.

Is 'one more significance' OK? As "significance' is uncountable, I think 'another significance' is correct. Am I right?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 333 • Replies: 3
No top replies

perennialloner

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2016 10:06 am
@tanguatlay,
I don't think it matters. If there are two significances, introducing the second as 'one more' or 'another/one other' conveys the same thing. also, you're counting either way. you may not be applying number values to the significances, but you're still recognizing there's more than one.
tanguatlay

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2016 10:53 am
@perennialloner,
perennialloner wrote:

I don't think it matters. If there are two significances, introducing the second as 'one more' or 'another/one other' conveys the same thing. also, you're counting either way. you may not be applying number values to the significances, but you're still recognizing there's more than one.
But isn't 'significance' an uncountable noun and therefore it cannot be counted. Sorry for being confused. Thanks.
perennialloner

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2016 09:53 am
@tanguatlay,
a non-count noun doesn't have to be counted to be quantified

it makes perfect sense to say "one more piece of advice," even though advice is a non-count noun.

though you might not say "two arts," you can modify the sentence to convey the same thing, "two pieces of art."

with significance, the same idea applies. it's acceptable to say something like "two areas of significance."

I found this quote online. You'll see that Tolstoy refers to 'one' significance, despite significance being a non-count noun.

“There is only one significance, you are a worker.”
― Leo Tolstoy
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is 'one more significance' OK?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 01:30:47