Need help finding a sci fi book....

jade96

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 05:11 pm
I read one book from a series several years ago, misplaced it after moving and now can't remember the title, author, etc. If the general story sounds familiar, please let me know! Thanks!

Basically the book takes place in another universe, but parallels a far past or far future that resembles an ancient chinese culture. I want to say even the names sounded "eastern." It is about a young girl whose father (or guardian, I can't remember) dies, leaving her the sole heir of the "fiefdom," except she has to marry, otherwise she leaves herself open to anyone with a stronger army taking her land away from her. She ends up marrying an awful brute who is abusive to her, and bears him a son(I think anyway.....). She ultimately plays "politics" in the home and uses something the husband said against him and he ends up dying for it. She now has "control" of her home, but ends up having to bring in "dishonored and lordless" mercenaries in order to protect her home from other warlords, etc.
I also remember the book having this race of giant bees or ants (some kind of intelligent colony insect), that pledge their loyalty to the girl after the girl meets the queen of the colony.

I realize this is jumbled, but hopefully it rings a bell with someone out there. I remember some things vividly (like the husband's redhaired mistress who was beautiful and had almond shaped eyes), but other things are very vague. I've checked websites, etc, but can't find anything close. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jade
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 704 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jade96

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 06:58 pm
figures...
ok...Murphy's law at work

Looked on every forum and every single sci-fi website I could find. After 3 weeks, I land here, decide to post an inquiry and the very next friggin website I hit has the author and series!

If anyone is interested it is:
Daughter of the Empire
Servant of the Empire
Mistress of the Empire
by
Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 06:58 pm
The plot is familiar, but I'm as vague as you are on specifics.

I'll sleep on the problem.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 13 Sep, 2004 07:36 pm
Jade--

You beat me. I let the plot percolate and came up with the same possibility. You'll sleep better tonight.

By the by, welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Ricekrispy73

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 12:48 pm
I know what books your looking for its a series actually. Your talking about Raymond Feist and Janny Wurts books Daughter of the empire, Mistress of the Empire and Servant of the Empire

The bees you speak of they lived in hives underneath the ground. And made fine silks and such I kinda imagined them as big ants lol but everyone sees beings in their books diffent Smile
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 12:54 pm
I've read all of Raymond E Feist's other books, and they were all excellent. I'll give these a go as well.
0 Replies

Ricekrispy73

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 01:01 pm
woops sorry didnt see that someone else posted the name and author. I love his books if you like Feist you might wanna try Dave Duncin..David Eddings
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 03:32 pm
David Duncan is well worth trying.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Sat 6 Nov, 2004 03:40 pm
I've read alot of Eddings as well. V good. I'll have a look out for Duncan as well. Thanks, people.
0 Replies