Philip Roth - Guardian article & review of his new novel

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 11:04 am
Larry, what is there about this topic that makes you so strident? I have said here that I have found some of his works impossibly bad, but that I enjoyed some of his work. Is that grounds for a fight or what?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 11:12 am
sorry to hear that...are you an abuzzer?

we lost some posts due to adjustments made to the site...was no biggie.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 21 Oct, 2004 11:13 am
FIGHT? Where? who???
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:42 am
I finished the Roth book last night--a huge disappointment. I
think his basic mistake was telling the story of an American political convulsion from a child's POV. He is forced to resort to a "historical" summary in the last third of the novel just to explain the "facts", because the child narrator can't do so. Also, it ends in a very weak and undistinguished way, as if Roth couldn't be bothered to come up with a strong ending. I still have no idea why he wrote the book at all--the alternative history is ludicrously improbable, and he says nothing about his childhood that would interest anyone except him.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 09:02 am
Larry - your review has much in common with other reviews of that book I saw elsewhere. Quite apart from the fact that Lindbergh is a hero to all pilots (including those only part-time, like me) I'm tired of haghiographies of Franklin Roosevelt - best testimonial to whose presidency is the constitutional amendment barring anyone from being elected more than twice. Thank you.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 10:03 am
Talk about a foregone conclusion, Lar! You were talking negatively about the book as soon as you heard what it was about, so I guess it's not too surprising you disliked it. Fair enough.

HofT: Is it Roth you dislike or Roosevelt? One suspects the latter. As for the critics, the NY Times Book Review gave it a glowing review. And the New Yorker has been favorable, too.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 10:05 am
The New Yorker agreed with larry that the ending flagged.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 02:39 pm
D'Artagnan - risking charge of pedantry wish to request you to add that particular traitor's first name before his last name, so as to avoid any risk of confusion with the real President Roosevelt, naturally a Republican, namely Theodore.

On Roth I've no opinion, and doubt that literary history will bother with one.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 04:52 pm
Calling Roosevelt a traitor is the the stupidest statement I have read in a month at least. I won't highjack the thread, however.
On Roth, I will probably not get his book in the immediate future, because I have a list of higher priority reads ahead of it.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 05:46 pm
It's all right, Edgar, I don't want to highjack the thread either.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 05:50 pm
Careful Helen...that abuzz snide don't wash here.Edgar's infirmity is no cause for ridicule.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 05:51 pm
Whew. I bet you get really tore to shreds on the political threads.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 05:52 pm
I'm terribly sorry, thanks for telling me - had no idea there was an infirmity involved. Will go back quickly and delete the previous entry.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 05:55 pm
Done. I hope you get better, Edgar, my recollection was you got well and I really didn't know there were any lingering effects. Sorry.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 05:55 pm
You're very gracious...I respect that.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 05:58 pm
Thanks, Panzade, and nice to meet you.

I actually like Edgar very much, though our politics diverge somewhat <G>
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 07:58 pm
Gee yer a pal, Panzade.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 22 Oct, 2004 08:10 pm
I work a forty-plus hour week at a pace that could run a youngster ragged. Not bragging, only suggesting that rumors of my impending infirmities are greatly exaggerated. I still have a touch of the skin cancer lingering, but it's a mop-up operation now. If I had to I could possibly kick Philip Roth's ass now.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:01 am
Anybody who calls FDR a traitor should be required to prove such an insane charge, and then when he cannot should be promptly barred from all civilized company, including A2K.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2004 10:11 am
Now we're on the same page, Larry.
0 Replies