Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 06:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
A good outline of religion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_religion
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 07:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
From the article
A commonly held marker for the dawn of religious belief and practice is the advent of intentional burial marks.

But people predate those marks by a considerable time.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 07:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
It's reasonable, given the thousands and thousands of cycles people have to fulfil their life spans.
TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 10:18 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
I don't believe religion can withstand exposure to the light of functional knowledge for long. We already see it eroding and that erosion is accelerating.

I hope you are right. I think it's not so from my interactions with people in my life. It's not that they're not educated, it seems that they fight against what they've learned. They conveniently forget. It's easier to just believe that "Everything's Alright" than to think critically. It's comforting to believe that Jesus will make it all better. As per one of my earlier posts, I think fear drives a lot of this. As long as people fear uncertainty and death, they seek refuge in religion.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 11:38 pm
@TomTomBinks,
I think that's part of it. My siblings are all christians, and we used to be buddhist before our mother converted in concentration camp during WWII.
That's the reason I say religion is an accident of birth. Most follow the religion of their parents.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 07:16 am
@cicerone imposter,
Don't you think it strange that your post contains examples that disprove your own hypothesis?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 08:41 am
@Thomas33,
Thomas33 wrote:

It's reasonable, given the thousands and thousands of cycles people have to fulfil their life spans.

I rarely understand what you mean in your posts. Could you explain it as to a little child. Not in the goo goo stage, just a little older.
Thomas33

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 08:57 am
@edgarblythe,
Any homo sapien has 1000's of cycles to live until they die. Just like dancing and violence and all kinds of other habits and routines, believing in a God is another inevitable routine (one which should only be opposed in light of the prospect of violence).

Think of religion, or just belief in God, as another form of playing a game, or cooking food, or going for a walk.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 09:07 am
@Thomas33,
Before the mind and body evolved sufficiently, there had to be a very long period when a concept as complex as god was not thought of. There is no way of being certain when or even how such a notion became common among the primitives.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 09:54 am
@edgarblythe,
That may, or may not, be true, but either way it is an unverifiable speculation. It is simply a fact that god or gods have inhabited all of the artifacts of human civilizations in recorded history and legend.
Sturgis

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 09:54 am
Some form of religion will continue to exist as long as there are people. People in many instances are in search. Search of direction and for guidance.

This doesn't necessarily mean it will stay in the present form, but then again, the way religions are today is far different from what they were fifteen hundred years ago or even at the start of the last century. Religion evolves, it changes.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 12:53 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

That may, or may not, be true, but either way it is an unverifiable speculation. It is simply a fact that god or gods have inhabited all of the artifacts of human civilizations in recorded history and legend.

The transition from an early type of ape to human did not happen like the turning on of a switch. They could not one day be not even wondering apes and the next day be modern humans praying to gods.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 12:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
You're spot on!
Quote:
The exact origin of modern humans has long been a topic of debate. KEY FACT Modern humans originated in Africa within the past 200,000 years and evolved from their most likely recent common ancestor, Homo erectus. Modern humans (Homo sapiens), the species? that we are, means 'wise man' in Latin.Jun 13, 2016
Evolution of modern humans | Stories | yourgenome.org

www.yourgenome.org/stories/evolution-of-modern-humansYour Genome
0 Replies

sky123

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 01:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
.. and vice versa for those who don't believe.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 02:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Maybe animals do contemplate God. No one can be sure.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 02:19 pm
@Thomas33,
Maybe ribs barbecue themselves for our pleasure.
Thomas33

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 02:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
What are you saying? It's perfectly possible that all life is able to be aware of God, just not plausible.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 03:15 pm
@Thomas33,
Quote:
Any homo sapien has 1000's of cycles to live until they die.

That is a fairly popular belief and I wonder where it come from. I hate to sound like the Neo evolutionists and demand physical evidence but I don't even see circumstantial evidence for reincarnation. I haven't seen or heard anyone who had evolved beyond what one can achieve in a single lifetime.

What convinces you of multiple lives?
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 03:20 pm
@Thomas33,
Thomas33 wrote:

What are you saying? It's perfectly possible that all life is able to be aware of God, just not plausible.

Yeah. Clams on their knees to the gods. Sponges taking up collections to do the work of the lord. Makes sense to me.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 03:23 pm
Transmigration of souls is even more silly than animals aware of gods.
0 Replies