What animals make you feel sad when you look at them?

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 10:33 am
I usually feel sad when I look at a duck. The outline of their head and facial features inspires sorrow in me, prompting me to contemplate mortality, and exploitation and balance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,056 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 10:37 am
@Thomas33,
The first time that an animal made me feel sad was I went to this nearby small zoo. There was a polar bear and the enclosure was small and dirty and just plain not right. The polar bear looked miserable.

It made me really sad.

On the positive - I have not been there since, but I have heard they improved things - but this is the first time that it really hit home how bad it must be for some of these animals in captivity.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 10:41 am
@Thomas33,
Little insects, Tom, buzzing across the room or running around down there. Often wonder if insecticides don't cause painful death

Porky; us Christians house him in filthy mud, then hang him upside down and slit his throat so he bleeds to death before chopping him up. He was smart as a 3-year-old humanoid, then why not okay to eat our babies too

Tho I do love that breakfast bacon
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 10:43 am
Elephants, especially baby elephants.

I love elephants but they make me feel sad.
Thomas33

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 10:44 am
@Linkat,
I think it's been over a decade since I regularly visited Dudley Zoo. I've grown very aware of animal abuse, and if I had to choose I'd opt to ban zoo captivity, and just allow something like the equivalent of a national park.

I remember the polar bear that was saved some time ago, and became famous; their owner died before them, but the two of them were known.
0 Replies

Thomas33

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 10:45 am
@chai2,
What is it that separates elephants from other species? Is it a particular experience?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 10:50 am
Hampsters. No matter how long they've been reared and interbred in captivity, their instincts are to constantly gnaw themselves out of their cages.
Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 11:34 am
@InfraBlue,
My hamster doesn't do that - he has never tried to gnaw out of his home.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 11:51 am
@Linkat,
Where do you keep him?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 12:15 pm
A person I knew for years always kept the stuffed rear end of a small deer on his living room wall. It was to him a form of humor, worthy of sharing. I did my best to avoid looking at it. As I write this, I am reminded of the movie, "Arthur." Dudley Moore's character asks the owner of a mounted deer head, "Where is the rest of this deer?" and a bit later, "You must have hated this deer."
chai2

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 01:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
I agree edgar. I hate that someone killed another creature just to display all or part of its body. That's sick. What's the difference with hanging a human head on the wall that was shot and killed just because it happened to be a good looking specimen? Or worse, just because someone could.

The only exception to me would be if an animal was attacking you and you had to kill it to survive. Then I could see where it might have some meaning.

Re elephants, I doesn't take much research to figure out how they have been mistreated, tortured, killed and maimed all for entertainment or for a small part of their body.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 01:36 pm
@InfraBlue,
In a plastic type see through container - it was suggested over they typical steel cage as it keeps things cleaner. I had a hamster in those steel mesh types before - all you need to do is put in some things to chew on that is better for their teeth (I use empty card board toilet paper rolls) --- also have a house that is chewable. I really didn't have much a problem with them chewing on the cage part - sometimes but not often.

He also doesn't seem interested in trying to get out --- he just either runs on his wheel or is busy getting his home in order.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 05:57 pm
Dead elephants without tusks.
Dead rhinos without horns.
Dead lions, tigers, leopards, cheetahs and bears with a grinning fool standing over their bodies
Dogs that have been torn up in fighting pits.
Abused cats
Abused horses
Abused dogs
Primates with electrical gizmos wired to their brains.
Animals in tiny cages in zoos who pace back and forth obsessively

The list goes on and on.
Thomas33

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 06:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Thank you for expressing that.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 06:54 pm
@Thomas33,
If God gave us dominion over the animals of the world, we have failed him miserably.

0 Replies