Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 01:24 pm
Would a Western Larch (tree) NOT lose its needles during fall and winter if it was kept indoors? / what causes it to lose its needles(temperature change, change in length of days)? IF YOU KNOW THE ANSWER PLEASE REPLY!!!!!! THIS IS KILLING ME!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,696 • Replies: 9
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 04:15 pm
@SevenStevens33,
Steve no offense but have you tried Googling

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Western+larch+indoors
SevenStevens33

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 05:20 pm
@dalehileman,
Actually i have tried to search for the answer to this question in many ways, shapes and forms, but still cannot find anything
SevenStevens33

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 05:22 pm
@dalehileman,
no offense to you, but what you searched has nothing on what happens to WL kept indoors during the winter
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 05:34 pm
@SevenStevens33,
The larch is a deciduous tree.

If it's kept indoors without the right lighting/temperature changes to signal a change in seasons, why would it drop its leaves?

Think of the work people do to get poinsettias / lilies etc to bloom at the right time when kept indoors. Same thing for an indoor larch.
SevenStevens33

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 05:38 pm
@ehBeth,
Which triggers the signal to drop the needles? the light or the temperature? i realise that it is possible that it is a combination of both. not to mention that blooming and dropping needles are not the same thing. the dropping of the needles is to avoid the snow piling up on the needles and breaking the branches, not to reproduce. my question is not whether the cones would open at the right time while indoors
ehBeth

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 05:46 pm
@SevenStevens33,
You've missed my point. It's not a question of the purpose - bloom vs drop. It's about signals.

http://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/What_Causes_Plants_to_Shed_Their_Leaves_in_the_Fall#GMuKTPKyEzaSpFOR.97

If you're not providing the right signals for an outdoor plant moved indoors, it will not follow its outdoor habits.

This is very basic science project stuff.
SevenStevens33

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2016 05:52 pm
@ehBeth,
so on the flip side, if you kept a western larch in a cold room with very little sun, you could prompt the needles to fall?
dalehileman

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 11:49 am
@SevenStevens33,
Quote:
cannot find anything
Sorry Steve, was sure it'd be in Google. Best luck otherwise
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2016 11:51 am
@SevenStevens33,
If you time it properly.
0 Replies