Nationality

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 07:37 am
A Russian asked me why so many people hate Russian. Actually, I don't know. I like being with them.They are not very humorous,but funny.Russian way of thinking is amazing!In my mind,they like reading and I can learn a lot from them!So can anybody give reasons why some people don't like Russian!

jespah

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 07:40 am
@PattonGeller,
Oooh, ooh, I know!

Maybe because people are individuals and have their own ideas. Or maybe it's because true prejudice has few bases in fact. Or maybe this Russian guy's premise is flawed.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 07:59 am
@PattonGeller,
Russia took over Eastern Europe after WWII and stayed in charge until 1991. During this time, Eastern Europe fell way behind Western Europe in living standards, etc. Plus after taking over Eastern Europe, Western Europe was concerned it would be coming for them. This is the grudge people hold against Russia.
PattonGeller

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 08:22 am
@Blickers,
Yeah,Russia has been acting like a boss all the time,from Tsar to Putin.However, Russian people are nice for me, excluding skinhead of course.Besides, Russia has great culture, a ton of great writers!
Blickers

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 08:43 am
@PattonGeller,
True, I think the resentment stems from historical political tensions, instead of anything the Russian people do themselves.
0 Replies

Kleinmk5

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 12:19 am
@PattonGeller,
Definitely good people to be around I've had a few Russian friends. The Russian culture is big into reading I don't see any other reason why people would dislike Russians other than based off of how their country is run how people could jump to conclusions and make a judgement based off of the communism aspect.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 09:26 am
I'd never date a Russian.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 09:30 am
@PUNKEY,
Punkey [Max puts on his deepest fake Russian accent]. In Soviet Russia.... the Russians date you.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 09:32 am
That's right! I forgot that I wouldn't have a choice.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 07:08 pm
@PattonGeller,
Do Russians love their children to?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 07:11 pm
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

But what about Russian salad dressing? Do you eschew that as well?
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/04/10/00/00/0004100000638_500X500.jpg
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 08:21 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:

What about a guy who took his time?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 08:46 pm
@PUNKEY,
And never Russia date.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 12:50 pm
When I was a child, during the early Cold War, magazine articles made reference to the Russians as Eurasians, not Eastern Europeans. Only as an adult are they referred to as Eastern Europeans. There might be a vestige of unconscious thinking that they are not from those Germanic tribes that plotzed down on different European land masses to become todays Europeans. In effect, many might think they really don't have a European pedigree. Remember, Europeans did use the term "outsider" to refer to Jews, Gypsies, and others that were felt to not have the same pedigree as other Europeans, even though Europeans enjoyed the Middle Ages as landless peasants. (And, are still landless, unless they emigrated elsewhere, oftentimes.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 01:01 pm
@Foofie,
It's always fascinating to learn about European history via your posts!
I always get to know something which is totally new for me.
Foofie

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 01:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

It's always fascinating to learn about European history via your posts!
I always get to know something which is totally new for me.

You are almost as sarcastic as the British, in my opinion.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 01:26 pm
@Foofie,
Well, I really learnt a lot new stuff.
For instance about Germanic tribes in Europe. (Do you know that Slavs are the largest Indo-European ethno-linguistic group in Europe? Hundreds of cities, towns and villages have Slavic names - Berlin is one example - and Sorbian is an official language in Germany.)

The German word for "peasant" is Bauer, which means owning land to built on. Thus, in the northern part of Germany, "Bauern" were the richest landowners (the Peasant Republic Dithmarschen in the 13th til the 17th century was governed by the 48 most wealtiest peasant there, smaller semi-independent peasant regions existed until the 19th century.
Here, in Westphalia, several peasant farms built a "Bauernschaft", with the largest landowner as kind of mayor and judge.

I'd never heard that "outsider" was a name in Europe for Jews, Gypsies, and others that were felt to not have the same pedigree.
Foofie

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 01:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Regardless of your facts, you seem to be giving too great import to them. The tribes that settled in western Europe in the Middle Ages were not Slavic, but Germanic. Perhaps, another version is taught in Europe, but in the U.S., that was my history lesson. In fact, it was Hitler, I read, that was afraid that Slavs would become strong enough in the future to conquer Germany, so his desire for conquering Slavic nations was a bit of preventive maintenance. But, you believe what you choose, since you have to live peacefully with other Europeans, or Eurasians, or whatever you want to call them. We in the U.S. have a hard enough time to make everyone feel American without the resentment to those that were here early and learned how to progress in the system.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 01:39 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Regardless of your facts, you seem to be giving too great import to them. The tribes that settled in western Europe in the Middle Ages were not Slavic, but Germanic.
I never doubted that "The tribes that settled in western Europe in the Middle Ages were not Slavic, but Germanic."

My response was to your previous post:
Foofie wrote:
There might be a vestige of unconscious thinking that they are not from those Germanic tribes that plotzed down on different European land masses to become todays Europeans.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2016 02:16 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
http://i65.tinypic.com/2rmb9ye.jpg

1. Forums
  2. » Nationality
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 08:21:23