a new way to understand religion for believing / spiritual people

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 08:43 am
I know I ride a bit ahead with that but I know I can try and so I want to propose a small discussion about how religion can be differentiated from spirituality and how there is an old understanding of religion that was often left behind and not attempted to reform in many ways.

There is freedom and religion, many people think in their heart of hearts, and either decide for freedom or for religion. This is because especially emotionally we cannot become free in a religion.

One ingredient pertaining to the christian tradition (and applying to muslim traditions too) is that God would somehow wait for faith and obedience on this world and would reject you if you would not repent of your sins and believe in him in THIS life. And that in the afterlife your fate would be settled and that you cannot plead for the liberating assistance of Jesus or Allah.

I think this concept is a thorn in the heart of every spiritually genuine religion. The gods are eternal beings and do not change in their hearts and that means that you can nearly always call on them in good expectation and hope.

But what now? Can we maybe conceive of a free religion that gives us the same and more as what old religion gave us? So we could eat the good foods of past religious success and the good food of modern religious success from the same table?

Past religion was usually introspective, but in a way it would not admit that. You would hover around your heart and mind and be afraid to live. But in a reformed religious tradition you would be deep within your heart and mind and find in it both god and the cosmos already in love with you as your father, friend, partner, beloved, child and maybe even honored ancestor.

Maybe we could discuss this civilly. One estimate I would make is that there are no freaks on this site and that we can all be gentlemen at a round table. By the way, did King Arthur have a religion really?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 434 • Replies: 4
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 10:22 am
@yellowdog,
Since the applicable definition of "religion" is "the belief and reverence for a supernatural power or powers," then any belief in God is a religion.

It's more accurate to distinguish "organized religion" seeing as how you mention Christianity and Islam from what you may perceive as an individual approach to one's belief, although there isn't a definitive line separating the two since one's beliefs about a supernatural power or powers derives from other's organized beliefs.

As long as you're not a harm to yourself and others, believe what you want.

Given all of the stories and legends involved, King Arthur is Catholic.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Wed 13 Jul, 2016 03:29 pm
@yellowdog,
I don't need a new way. I follow Jesus and I am a Catholic.
It was that 'new way' addiction that was part of my original problem !!!
mark noble

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 09:44 am
@AugustineBrother,
If you're a catholic - You should do as Jesus told you - Give up all your worldly possessions - PC, internet access, clothes, property, money, etc - and await your maker's deliverance.
Nope - Missed that bit, did you?
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 06:29 am
@yellowdog,
And I simply say as a Catholic, I LOVE the old way, I have no motivation to throw that over, and certainly not just on the whim of an internet bugger.
0 Replies