Do you enjoy being in a forest?

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 10:24 am
@Thomas33,
Here is an old thread of mine that includes my descriptions of what I felt driving through a large forest. I still like reading it once in a while.

http://able2know.org/topic/28171-1
saab

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 10:39 am
@Thomas33,
I really do not know how deep into a forrest the picture is taken, but it can be deep in the forrest or just a few steps from the countryroad
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 10:46 am
@ehBeth,
A few weeks ago I read a couple of short stories by a Swedish author.
One was about a blind man who took walks every evening without any help.
He knew all the time where he was - he depended on the sounds of the trees.
Every single tree has another type of sound. It was fashinating and I started to listen to trees. Then I heard running water and thought a pipe had broken.
While I was looking my cousin came looking too. It turned out it was a tree.
After that story I listen much more concentrated to trees.
saab

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 10:52 am
@saab,
The picture I showed is from Skåneleden. A hicking trail 1000 kilometers long in southern Sweden. Skåne is a nice part of Sweden with very good farmingland,
rich soil, good climate and many castels.
More pictures if you are interested
https://www.google.de/search?q=sk%C3%A5neleden&biw=1600&bih=689&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwiuremfse7NAhXhIJoKHUqQBUUQ_AUIBygC
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 10:58 am
@saab,
Trees have such a range of sounds.

I still sleep best when I can hear beach willows rustling in a breeze.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 10:59 am
@ossobucotemp,
Adding to my post, other posters add descriptions too - the thread is only two pages long.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:06 am
@Thomas33,
The first thing I noticed when I was in the forest is that it is big. Really big! The next thing I noticed is that it is easy to lose your way. The next thing I noticed is that once you lose your way, there are no exit signs. None! The next thing I noticed is that, owing to the absence of exit signs, you can walk for hours and hours and hours in any direction and still be in the middle of nowhere, which forces you to camp out for the night against your will. Maybe camp out is the wrong term to use here because I had no camping gear; no sleeping bag, no tent, no food, and no water. And thanks to my decision to give up smoking four years earlier, no lighter or matches. No fire! I gave up smoking to save my life. The irony . . .

The next thing I noticed is that I needed toilet paper. Being really scared does that to me. Since I didn't have toilet paper, I was forced to use a handful of leaves. It was at that point that I learned the hard way that "if the leaves be three, leave it be." Even before that happened, I stopped seeing the beauty of the forest, and instead saw it as a big ******* . . . thing that had swallowed me alive. I won't talk about the mosquitoes, but they were bad; not as bad as my "leaves be three" wiping experience, but still pretty bad! And just before dark, I heard some animal coming my way. So I had to climb a tree. It was a wolf I think, or a large coyote. It was sniffing around and found where I had my wiping incident. I watched in disgust as it ate my ****. It made me vomit. The wolf or whatever it was heard my vomit hit the ground, and ran to it and ******* started chowing down on it. Beauty of nature my ass. I was all out of vomit and so I clung to the branch I was on and had a short spell of the dry-heaves.

They found me two days later. I've never been the same. Even on line I find the need to fight my way out of threads, and I will take out anyone who tries to stop me, or even just gets in my way inadvertently. So, no, I won't be returning to the forest again in this lifetime. Too many bad memories.
TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:12 am
@Thomas33,
Quote:
Is it possible that anyone who has ever existed is meant to be an interpreter of nature, including the participants in the Battle of Hastings, or anyone who's ever be known as a refugee?

Wow, I thought you were trying to have a normal conversation.
saab

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:16 am
@Glennn,
If there ever will be a next time for you in a big forrest there are ways to get out.
Look at the sun (if there is one). If your clock is 9 let the 9 be where the sun is and 12 is to the south.
If there is no sun, ants build in direction to the south. Many trees have stronger
branches to the south. Sooner or later you will get out.
You can also follow water, which probably end up at a lake and around a lake is usually houses.
George

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:17 am
@TomTomBinks,
"Normal" for whom?
Glennn

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:21 am
@saab,
No, the next time I go, it will be on a motorcycle. And I will carry extra gas! And sparkplugs! And a tire pump and tire-patch kit!

But seriously, I just made that up. It didn't happen. But I'll bet it did happen to someone at some time. Well, except for the wolf and vomit part.
George

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:25 am
@Glennn,
Too bad. I was working on some "Does Glenn **** in the woods?" jokes.
George

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:26 am
@Glennn,
. . . and some "really scraping bottom" jokes.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:26 am
@George,
For the record, Glennn shits and vomits in the woods.
George

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:28 am
@Glennn,
I'm proud to know such a serious recycler.
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:36 am
@George,
Quote:
"Normal" for whom?

For everyone except Thomas33
George

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:43 am
@TomTomBinks,
Well, there ya go.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 11:49 am
@Glennn,
My father, our dog and I took an evening walk and got out of the forrest onto the golfcourse.
It is a nice place to grass for moose or elks depending what language you speak.
It happened to be a furious elk mother with calf. She started to chase us. I did not know we could run so fast - the dog and I in one direction and my father in another trying to get her attention away from me.
Once I did not even know about it - a friend saw it. I walked down the road with my little daughter and a few meters away an elk walked just as slowly and relaxed. behind us.
Thomas33

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 12:27 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Thank you.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2016 05:41 pm
@saab,
Quote:
It happened to be a furious elk mother with calf. She started to chase us. I did not know we could run so fast - the dog and I in one direction and my father in another trying to get her attention away from me.

According to nature experts, when an elk mother is out with her calf , she doesn't worry about humans in the area. However, she will not see the difference between a dog and a wolf, and will chase and attack a dog and anyone with that dog because the way an elk sees it, the friend of her enemy is also her enemy.

Most dads know that about elks and dogs. Probably your dad didn't know it . . . probably. Were you and your dad getting along at the time? Had you done something to really make him mad just prior to this incident?