Help!

Cmb1984

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 10:52 am
Hi so I don't know.much about philosophy but I came across something called solipism and it scared me to death. I have a son who.is my world and thw thought that he is just a figment of.my imagination scared me to.death please someone help me with this whole theory

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 11:06 am
I'm not sure I believe this. Surely you know if you have a real son or an imaginary one?

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 11:10 am
@Cmb1984,
Cmb, if you Google, there's another "s"

But if you are perfectly serious about it Cmb, intuitively most of us would assure you he's real

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solipsism

0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 11:38 am
If he is imaginary, then so are you, and that balances it out.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 11:57 am
@Cmb1984,
Your reality is as you "see it." If you see your son, he's real. Trust me.
0 Replies

Cmb1984

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 12:45 pm
I don't understand why it can't be proven wrong
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 12:52 pm
There is a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) called solipsism obsession. If you feel that you may have this, (rather than a curiosity about a philosophical idea) then it will take more than some people on the web to argue you out of it. In that case, you should consider seeking professional (medical) help.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 01:03 pm
@Cmb1984,
Quote:
why it can't be proven wrong
The general rule is, Cmb, that if there's no evidence for it, it's undoubtedly wrong
0 Replies

Cmb1984

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 02:35 pm
@Cmb1984,
So there is no evidence for solipisim? I know I do jave a amxetu disorder but this has really scared me and like i said I dont know about philosophy. So that's why I came on here
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 02:46 pm
Quote:
I do jave a amxetu disorder but this has really scared me

Your anxiety disorder is causing you to over react to what you have read about the philosophical notion of solipsism, and to get the wrong end of the stick.

This absolutely needs saying:

3 things you need to do:
1. Go to your doctor.
2. Go to your doctor.
3. Go to your doctor.

The alarming idea that loved ones, etc do not really exist is called 'solipsism syndrome' but it is only loosely related to the philosophical idea that you seem to have come across. Solipsism as a philosophical proposition (the idea that only the self exists) can neither be proved or disproved. You can safely ignore it. It doesn't matter. If you cannot ignore it, and this is causing you distress, I will say it again, (but you keep ignoring this), GET HELP FROM YOUR DOCTOR. You will not get anything useful on here (as can be seen already).

Cmb1984

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 03:10 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Im not crazy I just don't understand it. That's what I'm saying is I dont know.much about it and that's why is was getting into on it so I don't know why your being so mean about it. It just bothers me that it can't be proven wrong i don't get that.. sorry for irritating you
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 03:21 pm
You have not irritated me.
Cmb1984

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 03:26 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
So your saying I can forget about solipisim? Is it meaningless information? I guess the whole thing that bothers me is why it can't be proved wrong. It's a awful thought
ossobuco

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 05:34 pm
@Cmb1984,
I hope you listen to Tes yeux noirs and see a psychologist, or at least a doctor. I think you are taking all of this too lightly, at the same time you are disturbed by your thoughts. I think he understands the situation.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 05:35 pm
It can't be proved wrong, it can't be proved right, it's just an idea. That's all. It's something nerdy folk talk about when they are bored. You don't need to worry about it, any more than you need to worry about the end of the world, or zombies or whatever.
Cmb1984

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 06:58 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Thank you !!😀
0 Replies

Cmb1984

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2016 07:15 pm
@ossobuco,
What do u mean by taking it lightly
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Wed 6 Jul, 2016 04:37 pm
@Cmb1984,
'Reality' is yours to define - Neither you or your child are other than text on an internet-thread to me.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Help!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 11:46:53