New Tarzan Trailer

farmerman

Fri 19 Aug, 2016 01:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
I dont have a clue about what his publishers del was. My BIL is a well known riter who did NOT retain "All rights reserved by author" This is usually retined by cartoonists nd uthors with significcant illustrations (HOWARD PYLE and NC WYETH did not hqve any rights for their great art work in the pirate novels)
Sometimes, (and I think the early 20th century fits), the publishers tqke control of the entire work portfolio. The authors can always sign with new pubs but the pubs worked a lot closer then than now I hear. As I see, the later Tarzan books showed Tarzan's evolution and ERB was slowly getting his way.

I suppose, if you wish to see it all as a nail, No matter what I can dig up to the contrary, you will see this world via your hammer. I think you could have some great fun looking up in the U of Michigqns library system (U of Michigan is here most all PHd theses and disserttions come to reside in the"cloud"). Im sure theres a bunch of theses about this very question. Ive found blogs surrounding bith cmps and Ive also found that most of the combatants are quite respectful. They sound like this,
"Im not arguing, Im just trying to explain why youre wrong"--Now thats a nice way.

I think the evolution of Tarzan , as a literary fact, was probably a part of ERB' entire marketing plan for the series. Remember, it was the 1920's nd bit later.

Too bad ERB isnt alive so you could ask him whether he would class his early Tarzan books as written by a racist??

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 19 Aug, 2016 01:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Gosh edgar and I thought I was stubborn.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 19 Aug, 2016 01:53 pm
@farmerman,
Matthew Cohen, whose grndfather hqd a running correspondence with Edwin Weston has just had a book published about the lettersbetween Burroughs and Weston. Cohen says that the letters contained rcist comments over a time period and they discussed , in the letters. how Burroughs changing views bout rqce etc dould be woven into lqter books.

lso, I was wrong about the book pub rights. Burroughs owned and protected ll his writings from n early date. He began ERB Inc, a literry holdings to make sure tht NOTHING was hanged in subsequent printings of his books. Apparently they were wildly popular and, I think, in thi case, the economics ruled the roost.

Dould he afford to change Tarzans early prsonna to satisfy some hange of mind he may hve hd???

I dont think we cn know without being in his head
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 19 Aug, 2016 01:56 pm
@farmerman,
Good Lord! This has become a crusade for you. (Sort of like my rebuttal of anti-GMO bullshit)

I admire your tenacity and scholarship but you, clearly, have made your point.

Edgar is just being stubborn.
farmerman

Fri 19 Aug, 2016 05:08 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I dont know when to quit eh?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sat 20 Aug, 2016 05:29 am
I have personally known just one person in almost 74 years on the planet that went from being overt racist to defending against racism. There likely were some others I never knew about. So, I am skeptical until thoroughly convinced if public figures appear to be changed. They have a following to be solicitous of. It would be nice if Burroughs reformed for real.
0 Replies

dailystreamz

Sat 20 Aug, 2016 06:05 am
@edgarblythe,
Nice Movie Smile
0 Replies

trichakra

Wed 24 Aug, 2016 12:15 am
@edgarblythe,
But i love Avengers movie than Tarzan.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Mon 5 Sep, 2016 11:15 pm
Check out this Tarzan from the thirties as done by Johnny.

0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 25 Oct, 2016 01:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Nothing racist about the arc of the movie. In fqct it was quite PC (almost too much for my liking). Lotsa perspective (color and horizon line)flaws in the CGI
Of Course, it was a screenplay of the various aspects of the Tarzan series.
farmerman

Tue 25 Oct, 2016 01:12 pm
@farmerman,
BTW, the trailer has almostNOTHING to do with the plot.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 19 Feb, 2017 08:10 pm
The new Tarzan movie has been on TV lately. I took a look, but didn't get interested. Maybe another day I will give it a real try.
0 Replies