Can Even Drs. Phil or Laura Help My Daughter?

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:22 am
Maybe a little background first. I suppose her mother and I have spoiled her ... our daughter, Sophie ... but she did have a brush with death this past summer. Sudden, runaway infection, total system failure, the doctors had to administer fluids and antibiotics through her jugular vein ... touch and go, but she pulled through ... so, yes, we've definitely spoiled this one.

She's like most girls her age (early teens) gangly and impulsive. We'll probably never see her on the runway at Atlantic City, though. She's on the short side; I suppose some might be so cruel as to say her legs are stubby, but she's strong as an ox, this one.

Her face is rather Kerry-esque, long with a prominent nose, and her ears are disproportionately large. She bathes regularly but always has a certain odor about her. Her breath has always been a problem, but her affinity for sharp cheddar cheese probably is a contributor. And then there are her breasts. Embarrassed It's difficult for a father to actually discuss this, but ... she's quite well developed for a girl her age. That's probably an understatement ... okay ... they actually touch the ground when we've had a significant snowfall Shocked .

She has very pretty eyes and a happy-go-lucky personality, so we've largely overlooked her physical irregularities. She's our girl. Oddly enough, several of the neighborhood boys seem to be interested in getting to know her better, but her ol' Mom suspects they're after just one thing. :wink: I hope not.

So my area of concern is that lately we've found Sophie alone and staring into the mirror for long periods of time. We respect her privacy and have not questioned her about this, but still we wonder.

What does SHE see?

Will there be eating disorders in her future?

Expensive cosmetic surgery and extreme makeovers?

How can we be more supportive?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,474 • Replies: 26
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:32 am
Hi Whooda!

Er, is Sophie darlin' in your avatar?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:34 am
Quote:
We respect her privacy and have not questioned her about this, but still we wonder.

WhoodaThunk- As parents, you NEED to explore what is happening with your daughter, in a non-confrontational way. Her brush with death may have caused a touch of post traumatic stress disorder. (I know about this, from personal experience).

Then again, it may be the normal angst of adolescence. How is she when she isn't staring in the mirror? Has she undergone any personality changes? How is she doing in school? Has she maintained the same level of sociability with her friends as before?

I think that it is very important for you and/or your wife (consider with whom your daughter feels more comfortable) to talk with her. Be non-confrontational. Ask her how she is doing. Don't lecture, and giver HER the opportunity to open up to you.

Look for clues. You seem to be very concerned about her appearance. That may or may not be the reason for her behavior.

The important thing with adolescents is for parents to determine the reason for any differences in behavior, and if necessary, to deal with them. Good luck!
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:46 am
Sozobe & Phoenix: Long time, no see.

You're too good, Sozobe. Yeah, I guess I neglected to mention Soph's my basset ....................... :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:49 am
Aw.

Pity about the breath. ;-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:49 am
(Oh and seriously a pity about the brush with death -- that happened?)
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:51 am
Phoenix: Did I mention my other daughter who's currently visiting Florida? Her name's Frances. Kind of long-winded ... okay a blowhard ... but you know how strongwilled some kids can be. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:52 am
so cut the cheese.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:54 am
Ooh, nice combo!
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 08:13 am
Yeah ... the brush with death thing really happened. The vet said it was just some rogue bacteria thing. She suddenly had diarrhea, bloody diarrhea -- fountains of bright red blood coming out of her -- almost parvo-like although she's totally vaccinated. Whisked her off to the vet. By the next morning, she was unconscious under a heating pad, low body temperature, faint pulse, vascular collapse (hence the jugular I.V.) That evening we expected we'd be bringing her body home, but she had regained consciousness. She couldn't open her eyes (weak & way too much skin) but she recognized our voices. She tried to stand, but plopped back down and went to sleep. In the next few days my wife coaxed her into eating small piles of cheese (sharp cheddar's her favorite) and many hundreds of $$ later we brought her home. Money well-spent, though. Every once in a while, she'll throw a tantrum, flip her food dish and actually cover it with a blanket ... because there's no cheese on it. If we refill it and top it with cheese, all is forgiven.

The mirror thing is true, too. She's started to plant herself in front of a full length mirror and stare at herself for many minutes. I've always thought of her as Sophie Tucker, but maybe Narcissa would be a better name?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 08:17 am
Aw, poor Sophie! Glad she pulled through.

As for the mirror thing. Hmm. Dr. Phil might know...
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 08:29 am
WhoodaThunk wrote:
Every once in a while, she'll throw a tantrum, flip her food dish and actually cover it with a blanket ... because there's no cheese on it. If we refill it and top it with cheese, all is forgiven.

This overwhelms my cute receptors. My dog would always eat his food if we poured a little milk on it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 08:34 am
WhoodaThunk- Snagged my ass! :wink: Laughing

Just you wait...................Some day, when you least expect it! Very Happy
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 10:57 am
Phoenix: You had me feeling guilty there for a while, but didn't the image of her "buxom blessings" dragging the snow make you wonder? Surprised

I'm glad you have a sense of humor, but I'll still be on the lookout for incoming cruise missiles from the sunny South. Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 11:05 am
Quote:
but didn't the image of her "buxom blessings" dragging the snow make you wonder?

I had the feeling that you were kinda fixated on her boobs, but I thought that you might be waxing poetic.

This is not the first time I have been caught with my pants down. Embarrassed I once wrote a thread, (either on Abuzz or A2K, I don't remember), relating how I have a tendency to be taken in by wild stories.

Hey, that's me!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 12:00 pm
Whooda Thunk--

You're a most welcome refugee. I'm looking forward to seeing you on other threads.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 12:30 pm
Right back atcha, Noddy. :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 05:17 pm
My furkids are so glad to see another knowledgeable furparent join us here. Relieved, even.

No cold water on hot days.
Check.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 05:32 pm
I believe that doggie experts (that is experts on the subject of dogs, not actual dogs in lab coats) say that when a dog looks in the mirror it sees another dog, not it's own reflection. Probably your Sophie is just curious.

(Sophie- "Stop copying me! I'm not copying you, you're copying me! That's what I said!")
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 06:56 pm
Hey Whoodathunkit!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Can Even Drs. Phil or Laura Help My Daughter?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/27/2024 at 04:29:44