Mayberry or Raleigh?

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 10:25 am
boomerang wrote:
I feel very Mrs. Robinson with Oreos in my pantry!

I had dinner last week with a couple from Greensboro. They had moved there from London and they had nothing but praise for N.C.

My oldest cub lives in Greensboro....it's not Raleigh but it's very nice.....they do have an intersection where I-40, 29N, 421, 220, and some other major highway converge...it's fondly called Death Valley......right at the end of the off ramp for Guilford College is a long-in-business topless car wash too......so you see, Greensboro is not without it's cultural centers.......back in the day the buxom Juanita used to commute from Mayberry to work there...she put her gifts to good use washing windshields and tips were excellent.....unfortunately with the passing of time and the ravages of old age she now is in charge of hubcaps :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 01:31 pm
Actually Bear, i knew about Cherriwine, but was tryin' to be sufficiently discrete as not to let the secret out. Red Pop is good enough for Yankee tourists, they don't need no Cherriwine . . .
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 01:59 pm
Coo coo ca choo, Mrs. Robinson
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 02:01 pm
true enough set....we don't need 'em packing off a six pack in a carpet bag and returning to the frozen wastelands to rebottle it under some slick big city name and steal even more of our culture....you'd think the fact we loaned 'em Micheal Jordan all that time would be enough for 'em.....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 02:11 pm
this the stuff? it's spelled different

cherr pic?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 02:29 pm
http://www.hometownfavorites.com/shop/candy_cat.asp?c=21&p=1&id=706&newp=
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 03:20 pm
ok I like that site the have "Big Red Soda"
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:32 pm
I'm forwarding the Cheerwine info to the good folks at Cracker Barrel. I'll bet they'll have the displays in-store from Mackinac to Key West by Thursday. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:36 pm
Actually I wouldn't mind trying the Jolt Red Eye myself ... maybe with Jagermeister and a Moonpie?
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:39 pm
And top off the night with a couple of Oreo's from Mrs. R's pantry ... and if that's not the fastlane of Raleigh then nothing is.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 07:40 pm
WhoodaThunk wrote:
Actually I wouldn't mind trying the Jolt Red Eye myself ... maybe with Jagermeister and a Moonpie?

and a pickled egg.....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 08:28 pm
I've got one word of advice for you boys:

Plastics.

(We'd like to help you learn to help yourselves.)
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:58 am
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/0514-afi.hof/Events/0514-afi.hof/bancroft.ann?path=pgallery&path_key=Bancroft,%20Anne%20(I)

If you were on a date with Anne Bancroft, wouldn't you wonder who she was that night ... Annie Sullivan, Mrs. R., or Mary Magdalene? Shocked Yowza.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 09:48 am
Old joke, predicated upon the rather snotty assumption of country folk in north Georgia that country folk from Alabama aren't very bright.

Alabama fella walks into a store, and says to the clerk:

Gimme a RC an' a Moonpie . . .

Hmmph, you must be from Alabama.

Now wait a minnit, effen i was to ask fer some polish sausage and some sour-kraut, would you ask me was i a Dutchman?

I dunno, it ain't never come up.

Well, 'spose i ast you fer some spaghetti and meatballs, would you ask me was i Eye-talian?

I dunno, it ain't never come up.

Then how come when i ast you fer a RC an' a Moonpie, you say i must be from Alabama? ! ? ! ?

Well, to start with, this is a hardware store . . .

A friend and i got off work, and i told that one in a bar on the way home. We got back home, turned on the teevee, and on CNN they had a human interest story about the opening of a Walmart in north Alabama. They had folding tables set out in front, covered with, you guessed it, RC cola and Moonpies . . . we literally fell out laughin' . . .
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:58 am
A little known footnote to modern history has recently been discovered through the Freedom of Information Act.

Back in the late 1980's, while attending a cocktail party in Los Angeles, the Soviet consul overheard a conversation.

A group of men were discussing MAD and the Balance of Terror. Their generation had grown up never knowing when, or if, there might be an exchange of nuclear missiles. They were tired of it, and were casually discussing what might end the nightmare. One, who had recently attended a productivity seminar that featured "Thinking Outside the Box", suggested that it was time for a new initiative. Being a staunch Westerner, he suggested that if the Soviets wanted to extend their grasp, why not just give them everything east of the Mississippi River. Westerners would be relieved of the obsolete heavy industrial base in the Northeast, and the racial strife of the Deep South. Getting rid of Washington DC and the beltway, would relieve the West of Federal Bureaucrats who have next to zero appreciation for the needs of an expansive West, and zero out the cost of maintaining a bloated Federal bureaucracy. The USSR could declare victory, and the Cold War would be over. The West would greatly benefit from the exchange, and the world would sleep better at night.

Everyone knew that the proposal was nothing more than a joke, and everyone had a good laugh before refilling their glasses and wandering off to flirt with one another's wives. The Soviet bureaucrat also thought it an amusing joke of a uniquely American flavor. He was shortly thereafter recalled to the Kremlin, and passed the joke along to other Soviet statesmen. They all had a good laugh at the notion.

The whole thing began to go wrong when the Kremlin office staff overheard the anecdote, but failed to realize that it was a joke. They, like their counterparts in other bureaucracies, tended to think that they knew more and better than their bosses. Also like office staff everywhere, they didn't have much sense of humor about serious business matters. They began to pass the idea around as if it might be true. And, soon the rumor was leaked and began to be passed as true from one babuska to another. Everywhere that Soviet citizens gathered for a bit of Vodka the story was told ... and taken seriously.

We now know that at some point, probably when the story reached the furthest reaches of Siberia, the story became the straw that broke the camel's back. Already burdened with long lines, rationing, and the unfairness of the Soviet System, the People just couldn't stomach being forced to take on all the problems associated with the territory east of the Mississippi. The People rose up and began to throw off the chains of tyranny rather than be forced to occupy New England and Memphis. What would they want with hurricane ravaged coasts and gangster-ridden urban blights. Oh no, far better to risk everything by defying the Secret Police and challenging the State itself than be forced to take over the Eastern part of the United States. And so the Soviet Empire began its spiral into oblivion. Neither the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, nor Alabam could tempt the Georgian, nor Belorussian. No Estonian or Lithuanian shipyard laborer wanted to compete for subsidies with the decaying industries of the Northeast, and so revolution was born.

So Communism fell and the Cold War ended all because of a light-hearted cocktail jest at warm Southern California evening that just got out of hand. At one time revealing this State Secret might have resulted in a cozy Federal cell, but now it can be told.
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 07:03 pm
Luckily for America and the entire Free World, the Kremlin & Co. must have been unaware of the existence of the Pleasant Valley area of north central Ohio. Had they been, the Wall would still be standing and the Soviet machine would be cranking away in the desparate hope of someday occupying our little swath of God's country. Their loss.

Uh, Asherman, did you mean to post this on a Mayberry thread?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 07:38 pm
I won't tell you how long ago I went here, but I hope you all have a good time there too.

North-central Ohio. Hmmmmm, that's where my dear, departed Egbert announced that he was no longer long for the world. His alternator was dying, never to be the same again. <sob>
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 02:38 am
Eh, ehBeth?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 01:03:13