Velveteen Rabbits

fortune

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 04:02 pm
Can't think of any velveteen rabbits that I still possess, most everything I had was lost in a house fire years ago.

I miss my books.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 04:06 pm
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Hugs!!!!!

That REALLY sucks!
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 05:00 pm
Smile Thanks, Dlowan! It was a bit of a blow.

The upside of it was that having nothing but what's on your back sort of forces things into perspective. Yes I miss my books, and a few toys and things that I'd held on to, but life goes on. Things that can be replaced are, and those that can't, well, you learn to live without them.

I find I don't have the same fear I once had of losing things, of being without all those little bits and pieces that seem to mean so much, because now I know I'll be okay without them. Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 05:11 pm
I'm reminded of a family legend of a courtesy cousin. During the Johnstown Flood of '89, this frail little old lady was rescued from the roof of her house. As the rowboat pulled away, the house collapsed.

"Oh," she sighed. One of the rescue crew handed her a handkerchief.

She refused it with a smile. "You know," she said. "This means I'll never have to finish all that embroidery I started."
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 05:19 pm
LOL! Sounds like something my mum would say!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 05:21 pm
fortune, I remember many years ago being invited to Christmas dinner at my best friend's house. I arranged to have my mom drop me off. When we got there all that remained of their house was a shell. I spent Christmas shaking and crying until K finally reached me to tell me they were all okay.

I have great sympathy for people who have lost things to fire.

I believe I may have to add Noddy's "embroidery" anthem to my lexicon!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2004 05:30 pm
That damn Johnstown flood. Im still damn mad at Frick and Carnegie for causin that one.

We just got home, home and I caught up on some of the beautiful artwork that some of you posted. Chapman was, clearly, in the art neuveau style. Obviously, illustrators , until the mid 1980s,l relied on layout and draughtsmanship skills. today, we are mostly served up a flat big eyed pile of clip art and PAINTSHOP.
Once someone has seen the work of Chapman, Remington, PArrish, Leyendecker, Schoonover < Wyeth, Holwein, and, (MY FAV) Frank Frazzetta, how and the hell can we accept the clearly CGI stuff that passes for illustration today.
Even the last Golden Books , many of which were illustrated by some real talent, had slipped over to that flat anime look.
I think that, today, the really great illustrators produce stuff for scientific texts.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:10 am
FM, i've picked up a lot of Frazetta stuff on-line, and use it in my screen-saver file. His stuff was excellent.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:21 am
Oh, there are some great illustrators out there, still. I love Peter Sis:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0374375259.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I haven't found a really great representation online yet -- his colors and complexity are just lovely.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:30 am
Then there's Maurice Sendak:

http://www.harperacademic.com/coverimages/large/0060284803.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 10:57 am
Google up some of John Gurches work, or Kam MAk.
i like Sendak's stuff, sorta creepy . Not familiar with Peter Sis.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 11:04 am
Sendack's 'Where the Wild Things Are' was one of my favourite books as a kid. Now that I'm here on A2K, I realize I haven't really changed much.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2004 02:43 pm
cept now, when you read Sendak on the subway, people move away from you . happens to me
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Velveteen Rabbits
  3. » Page 6
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 07:23:16