Velveteen Rabbits

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 09:40 pm
The finest hammer known to mankind . . . or dog- and wabbitkind, for that matter . . .
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 12:22 am
Our mom and dad (as a twin, everything was shared) threw out nothing of ours. We did that. Including, of course, about four shoes boxes of baseball cards.

I don't know if there is anything I'd like to have again (nothing like that wonderful little box of stuff in the film Amelie). Except mom and dad. That'd be cool.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 12:27 am
What a night. My sincerity is questioned and I'm staring down a killer storm. Gee willikers!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 03:17 am
Well - good luck with the storm, Panny darls!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 04:12 am
I do hope that the storm passes well, Panza...

Hmm, one of my biggest velveteen rabbits (I never knew what these were, before this post, and I assumed that this post was a tribute to Deb...) has to be a copy of 'The Importance of Being Earnest' that I got when I was twelve. My friend of the time chastised me for wearing out books carelessly; I rebutted that, surely, the most care that one can give to an inanimate object is to keep on discovering it.

But anyway. I bought this shoddy little book with awful type for £1.50 on a daytrip to a University -- a University I'd end up teaching at--, but I spent not much time there. Instead, I snuck away from the lecture about Hesse and started going around on the buses. The text is hardly viewable, because I have written stupid little ideas all over it in green felt-tip, but I keep it nonetheless.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 04:14 am
I also have my first bear, Cav, one that was called 'Gooby.' His body is ragged, but his head is the worst thing; his body has no head. He's a decapitated bear, because of some little so-and-sos playing French Revolution on him.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 04:19 am
Oh Drom!!!

Have you not read "The Velveteen Rabbit"?????

http://www.fiona.co.jp/images/PICTURE_BOOK/KINDERGARTEN/OTHER_PAPER/VELVETEEN_RABBIT_JORGENSEN.jpg

THE VELVETEEN RABBIT

Given as a Christmas gift to a young boy, the Velveteen Rabbit lives in the nursery with all of the other toys, waiting for the day when the Boy (as he is called) will choose him as a playmate. In time, the shy Rabbit befriends the tattered Skin Horse, the wisest resident of the nursery, who reveals the goal of all nursery toys: to be made "real" through the love of a human. "'Real isn't how you are made,' said the Skin Horse. 'It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real.'" This sentimental classic--perfect for any child who's ever thought that maybe, just maybe, his or her toys have feelings--has been charming children since its first publication in 1922.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 04:28 am
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
I do hope that the storm passes well, Panza...

Hmm, one of my biggest velveteen rabbits (I never knew what these were, before this post, and I assumed that this post was a tribute to Deb...) has to be a copy of 'The Importance of Being Earnest' that I got when I was twelve. My friend of the time chastised me for wearing out books carelessly; I rebutted that, surely, the most care that one can give to an inanimate object is to keep on discovering it.

But anyway. I bought this shoddy little book with awful type for £1.50 on a daytrip to a University -- a University I'd end up teaching at--, but I spent not much time there. Instead, I snuck away from the lecture about Hesse and started going around on the buses. The text is hardly viewable, because I have written stupid little ideas all over it in green felt-tip, but I keep it nonetheless.

And a damn fine play it is - with quotes for every occasion!

Lady Bracknell's "To lose one parent may be considered unfortunate...etc..." quotation has become enmeshed in the darkest humour of my workplace - in a way I probably not declare here.

In my first household we would sometimes act out Wilde's plays around the tea table, for sheer pleasure!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 04:31 am
This appears to be an online copy of The Velveteen rabbit:

http://www.mindspring.com/~mccarthys/cybrary/velvet1.htm
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 04:43 am
Aw, Deb, that book sounds lovely Very Happy. I shall have one of those awful cutesy moments and check it out. I'm guessing that the boy chooses the rabbit in the end? I felt that they had feelings, and even made up storylines for them Embarrassed.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 04:44 am
I love Oscar Wilde above every other playwright (apart from Shakespeare...) it's amazing to think that every line of his served a purpose. That's brilliant to hear about your reading the plays; was Earnest your favourite of them? Which characters did you play? I never had anyone to act with, apart from on the stage, so I read it out to myself, alternating the 'voices' ;D.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 04:56 am
DetR, the story of the Velveteen Rabbit runs much deeper than you might imagine . . . it is a minor tragedy, and very beautifully done . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 04:59 am
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
I love Oscar Wilde above every other playwright (apart from Shakespeare...) it's amazing to think that every line of his served a purpose. That's brilliant to hear about your reading the plays; was Earnest your favourite of them? Which characters did you play? I never had anyone to act with, apart from on the stage, so I read it out to myself, alternating the 'voices' ;D.

Oh - I loved to be Lady Bracknell, and, er, Ernest, most of all!

That was our favourite play, indeed.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 05:01 am
Thanks old Bunny, for making me cry so early in the morning by posting one of my favourite children's books of all time. It was thread-related, so I can forgive you. Laughing
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 05:03 am
bookmark
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 05:24 am
That story actually is heart-rending.

(Me too, Deb! That's weird, isn't it? How many of there were you acting it out, usually?)

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 05:34 am
Er - four - plus whichever lovers happened to be there!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 05:39 am
cavfancier wrote:
Thanks old Bunny, for making me cry so early in the morning by posting one of my favourite children's books of all time. It was thread-related, so I can forgive you. Laughing

Sad thing is, I can't find any of the original illustrations online - they MADE it!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 05:42 am
Who has read "The Mouse and His Child", speaking of sad????

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0439098262/qid=1094298172/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-2989415-8811205

waaaaaah!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 05:55 am
Now, I read that. It was quite an emotional rollercoaster, I must admit.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Velveteen Rabbits
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 12:30:06