using slimbrowser but IE is still launches... plz help

Reply Thu 2 Sep, 2004 12:20 pm
HEY
First I hate InternetExplorer!!
Got this prob, I am pretty sure I have slimbrowser (which I might add is a very good browser because it blockes all popups and you can multi browse in same window) set as my default browser, that being said lets say it is my default why does IE luanch everytime I open links and other apps. or something that needs a browser IE launches not slimbrowser? Evil or Very Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 558 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Cyanure

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 03:19 pm
Try to to go Control Panel
Add/Remove Programs
Set Program Access & Defaults (the 4th button down on left)
and enable Custom.
And see if it may solve the problem.
0 Replies

slickrickjax

Reply Fri 3 Sep, 2004 11:03 pm
well that was the first thing i tried but ie still launches. i tried it again. still have the same problem.
0 Replies

Cyanure

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 03:04 am
Try to go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, then in Components unchek Internet Explorer, and click Next.
See If this may work.
If someday you needed IE, then you can check it again.
0 Replies

hihp

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 03:17 pm
Re: using slimbrowser but IE is still launches... plz help
slickrickjax wrote:
HEY
First I hate InternetExplorer!!
Got this prob, I am pretty sure I have slimbrowser

Now that is funny... you say you hate the Internext Explorer but you use it all the time.

What I mean, you ask? Well, Slim Browser is nothing but a different face for IE. Yes, that's correct; on the inside, Slim Browser uses the IE engine. Why do you think Slim Browser needs IE to be installed?

If you want to reach your goals:
- have tabbed browsing, popup blocking etc.
- not use IE
you'll have to change things. I recommend you use Firefox (current version: Firefox 0.9.3), it's a Mozilla-based browser, i.e. it uses the Gecko engine (and NOT the Internet Explorer engine).

I'd especially recommend that because, as Slim Browser uses the IE engine, you get all the security holes Internet Explorer has, especially ActiveX, holes in JScript etc.

There are a lot of Extensions for Firefox that do all of the stuff the Slim Browser promises to do.
0 Replies

danload

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 03:23 pm
Netscape is fine as well...
0 Replies

hihp

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2004 03:29 pm
danload wrote:
Netscape is fine as well...

Yeah. And know what? netscape these days is Mozilla-based and uses the Gecko engine :-)

However, Netscape is not just a browser - just like Seamonkey (the Mozilla suite), Netscape is a suite, i.e. it contains multiple programs:
- a browser
- a composer
- an email client / newsreader

Netscape and Mozilla are nto exactly what I would call slim :-)

Firefox (browser) and Thunderbird (email client / newsreader) are sort of the successors for the suite: they single out certain parts of the suite, with a leaner graphical user interface and without a lot of bloat (even though that unfortunately means a number of preferences are onyl available in a rathe rinconveient way).

So if people only want a browser, I think it is the better choice to recommend Firefox. IMHO :-)
0 Replies