A2K Book Club

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:52 am
Has anyone tried starting an A2K book club?

If we could all decide on a book to read we could meet up back here and start some discussions. Good idea? Bad idea?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,131 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:54 am
yep...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 11:55 am
I think its a good idea but I doubt you'll ever get an agreement on which book to read!
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 12:02 pm
Heh heh, that could be a sticking point, but I think we could manage it!
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 12:16 pm
I think this idea is a little different to the books by mail thing, more of a discussion based group rather than story swapping.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 12:24 pm
We did it, and I torpedoed it by suggesting "Fury" as the first book and "Fury" sucked. [hangs head] Interested in giving it another go, will hang back and let others organize this time tho.

Here's the old stuff:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2479
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2004 12:43 pm
Wow...that was a train wreck Soz.

Well if anybody is interested in trying again...

I am currently reading "Vision of the Annointed" by Thomas Sowell (which I'm sure will not sit well with most A2Kers and may be more suited for the political forum) and have an unopen copy of Dean Koontz's "Taken" (for less thought provoking reading).
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2004 03:05 pm
Alright so I finished Vision of the Annointed... very interesting read.

I have since opened The Taken by Koontz... it is pretty freaky so far. Anybody reading it?
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 01:04 am
My mom's book club works with each member reading a different book so it's not much discussion and more talking about the book unless some of the other persons have read the book before....

I think that would be more suitable for A2K
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2004 10:00 am
I was thinking about just carrying on a discussion with myself... I'd always have somebody to talk to that way.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 5 Oct, 2004 03:09 pm
I was reminded, on another thread, of a book that I read long ago called "Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience" by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. It is a very interesting read and would have a lot to discuss. Here is Amazons description:

Quote:
You have heard about how a musician loses herself in her music, how a painter becomes one with the process of painting. In work, sport, conversation or hobby, you have experienced, yourself, the suspension of time, the freedom of complete absorption in activity. This is "flow," an experience that is at once demanding and rewarding--an experience that Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi demonstrates is one of the most enjoyable and valuable experiences a person can have. The exhaustive case studies, controlled experiments and innumerable references to historical figures, philosophers and scientists through the ages prove Csikszentmihalyi's point that flow is a singularly productive and desirable state. But the implications for its application to society are what make the book revolutionary.

Any takers?
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2004 06:17 am
Sounds really good. I've made a note of the title, so you never know, I might get my hands on it soon.
0 Replies

IrisDawn

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 12:05 am
Book Club
I would be interested in a book club. i'm new so maybe you have already started one. If so, what are you reading?
0 Replies

IrisDawn

Reply Thu 4 Nov, 2004 12:26 am
Book club
Instead of all agreeing on a book, we could take turns picking one. Even if a particular book is not really in an area of interest for oneself we should rise to the challenge and read it anyhow. It may not be so awful
0 Replies