NEIL GAIMAN

LarryBS

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 01:37 am
Wondering if anyone here has read any Neil Gaiman, particularly Neverwhere or American Gods. He sounds like an interesting writer.

Neverwhere

a wonderfully realized shadow world, and the story plunges through it like an express passing local stations, with plenty of action and a satisfying conclusion. The story is reminiscent of Douglas Adams's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy but Neil Gaiman's humor is much darker and his images sometimes truly horrific. Puns and allusions to everything from Paradise Lost to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz abound, but you can enjoy the book without getting all of them.

American Gods

American Gods is Neil Gaiman's best and most ambitious novel yet, a scary, strange, and hallucinogenic road-trip story wrapped around a deep examination of the American spirit. Gaiman tackles everything from the onslaught of the information age to the meaning of death, but he doesn't sacrifice his razor-sharp plotting and narrative style...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,224 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 11:03 pm
Isn't he the fella who edited Clive Barker's Hellraiser?
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2003 11:25 pm
Don't know - all I know is he was well known before he wrote his novels for a set of "graphic novels" called the "Sandman" series.
0 Replies

CountZero

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2003 01:59 pm
I listened to Neverwhere on tape on a road trip. I read American Gods. I recommend both.
0 Replies