Ovarian Cancer and Genital Talc Use By Women

Miller

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 01:06 am
Numerous studies have linked genital talc use by women to ovarian cancer . Among Afro-American women, genital use of the powder is linked with a 44% increased risk for invasive epithelial ovarian cancer.

Why talc might lead to cancer is not clear. Talc crystals can move up the genitourinary tract into the peritoneal cavity where the ovaries are located.
Some investigators have speculated that ovarian talc crystals may stimulate inflammation, which than may lead to cancer.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/05/23/lawsuits-over-baby-powder-raise-questions-about-cancer-risk/

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,972 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Miller

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 05:29 pm
@Miller,
I checked of Gold Bond medicated power and found that it contains talc, as does J&J baby powder. I also noticed on the Gold Bond label, that this product must not be taken internally.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 05:49 pm
I think I read about all this decades ago.

To me, then, the question is why is this all not known.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 May, 2016 09:04 pm
@ossobuco,
What I recall from about 40 years ago was warnings not to shake baby powder anywhere near a baby's face because of the problems the talc could cause to a baby's lungs. We were told to pour powder on our hands and then pat it onto the baby. Not sure that advice was that much better.
Miller

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 01:26 am
I really wonder how much of the talc, the women affected with ovarian cancer, were really using.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 05:55 pm
@ehBeth,
Breathing talc is not good for you. Talc is magnesium silica and breathing it causes talcosis, similar to silicosis. When it's dusted liberally on a baby t gets into the air and, because it's perfumed, enjoyable to inhale.

I worked with clay for years, a clay that contained a lot of talc in its recipe. So any clay dropped on the floor and walked on creates a dust that is hazardous to
breathe, just like baby powder.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 06:15 pm
As I said, I remember these warnings from decades ago, and no, I don't have links.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 May, 2016 06:36 pm
@ossobuco,
This was all about tac and the vagina.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Ovarian Cancer and Genital Talc Use By Women
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:02:28